Benelli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been looking to mount my Garmin satnav/MP3 player on the cafe racer but had not joy finding a suitable mounting bracket, so I made my own. now have it connected to the starcom unit I squezed under the seat. so now have bike to bike, rider to pillion, satnav and music, takes your mind of the sore arse on long runs :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Busaguy,
Which Garmin unit do you have/had on the TNT?
Is it waterproof? anyone tried the Garmin 2720,2820 Tom Tom rider V2?
Any input on the subject would be great.
I know Laurence has a unit fitted to the Tre but I cant find that thread :doh:

·
Registered
736 Posts
:bow:
:bow:
All hail the info king laurence :clap: :clap:

Now, If you had a choice of GPS to fit to the TNT which would it be?
I reckon the Garmin 27**, 28** series with the bluetooth link to a head set would be the best OR would it be the Tom Tom rider V2?
Need a fairly large screen as well (old age setting in & eyes are failing!!!)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi Benelli Dave,

I have a garmin nuvi 310, its not waterproof but I just have a clear polythene jacket I put over it. It works great, last year toured france and Italy and it took us to the door of each destination without fail. since the Alternater went on the cafe racer, and Benelli suggested that running the sat nav and starcom unit COULD have been the trouble, I no longer use power from the bike, the sat nav's re-chargable and lasts a good 7 hrs and I sold the starcom and got a bluetooth intercom which pairs with the Garmin, added bouns of NO wires :clap: and can hear the mp3 music and voice prompts so no need to keep glancing at the screen. I made a simple brkt to mount it to the steering damper lug

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Never had any experience with either of them Dave but I wouldn't think there would be much between them.

By the way, Is the Garmin 27* series waterproof? as I thought that it was only the Zumo range that was designed for motorcycles. :confused:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm its alot extra to get the waterproof ones though, some are around £600,
I got my nuvi310D kit from Halfords last year in an offer for £189, bluetooth, mp3 player and travel kit,
comes with traffic detection and a free sd expansion card.

add on needed is a £2.00 polythene jacket:D

·
Registered
332 Posts
TomTom Rider 1

Hi

I've got a TomTom 1 mounted via the fuel filler cap. See mounting on Ebay item 160198011342 - you fill up without removing it. This says for Aprilia, but I have both and the mount is the same. If you call Evotech on 0800 634 2801 (UK) they sell a specific adaptor for the TomTom rider (1, not sure if 2 is the same), which puts the thing further forward and at a good angle for avoiding glare. I've done about 2000 miles with this mounted, and it works fine.

I've also taken the Rider 1 over France, Spain and Italy, and it's pretty good - fully waterproof, battery life of 6 hours or so, recharge 2 hours. They reduced the price just before the Rider 2 came out, and now you can get one on Ebay for under £200, some with full Europe maps installed. It's easy to use with gloves (unless you are using the qwerty keyboard), and easy to read day and night. Also comes with adaptor to use in your car. It comes with wiring to charge while on the bike, but I could never get mine to work.

Gallery seems to be broken longtime, but send me an email and I'll send pics of it mounted on my TNT.

Also used this for mounting a digital camera, and took pretty good 10-min video of me slicing through North London traffic - only problem is the speedo is in full view, so no posting on youtube!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a Garmin Quest, its super the maps are great, its water proof and fast, also you can email routes to friends so that they can load them at home .

I use mounts by a company call RAM MOUNTS
http://www.ram-mount-uk.com

You buy a mount to attach to rear of break or clutch lever mount , a connecting bar and then GPS cradle.
Or have a mount for the steering damper, connecting rod and cradle,
Its fully adjustable and sturdy,even can have a locking device. I have both on my bike, can also connect video to it.

You then take it all when you change to a newer Benelli:clap: :clap:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Long runs !!!!!! what would they be ???? :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Oh, oops, are we counting the mad dashes between home and the service centre :doh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts