Benelli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
:soapbox:
This sort of thing on the road is a fkin menace for the rest of us.
Example of how this affects us...
I've been followed and done for doing 77 in a 70. This I was told was just "because I was wearing matching leathers" to match my bike. This was a few years ago.
Obviously dressed for speeding, and not to potter to the shops?
Another twat in jeans, and all over the box juctions in front of me on a CB400 was NOT followed...just me.

Basically if your going to speed, do it on a C90, in a skirt, looking like you've slept in a ditch, with nitros and in fkn 30.

I rest my case...

Klinker:mad:

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Ok, 166 on the road is well quick and getting caught at that speed deserves punishment, but 9 months in clink????
who was the victim?
for gawds sake, you can half kill someon these days and still only get caution (for glassing someone)
Thieves and hooligan scum get away with all sorts, making life a misery for many victims before they get a custodial sentence yet 9 months for a speeding offence...thats just bollocks!

Big fine and loss of licence for an extended period would surely have sufficed?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
one more thing....

he would have bene better off nicking the bike, have no insurance tax or license and take his chances.
In the unlikley event that the poice traced and caught it is still unlikley that he would get a sentence that severe.....

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Ok, 166 on the road is well quick and getting caught at that speed deserves punishment, but 9 months in clink????
who was the victim?

This isn't something new, a Porsche driver out our way got klinked for 150+ so...

He knew what would happen if he got caught, but kept it nailed.
This isn't a shock to me.:rolleyes:

Klinker;)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It may not be a shock, but I agree with Ian that 9 months is a ridiculous sentence compared to the sentence he would have got had he been caught burgling, ABH, etc. My guess is that the speed he was doing was on a relatively straight road, so effectively he is only endangering himself. Stupid, yes. As bad as beating the crap out of someone? I dont think so. Lets face it - a month in jail and 5 yr ban would have ruined his life enough. I have no sympathy for the guy, but as someone who has been burgled and seen the guy get off with community service, I find the ultra hard line on speeding a little hard to accept when there is such inconsistency.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
This offence occured on a very striaght peice of road called the Dolphinton straight, its over a mile long and the rozzers hang about there all the time and I assume it was vascar they caught him with
There is a van works that area but he should have seen it before he was up to 166mph. As of yet we dont have any average speed cameras in our area but south of glasgow does

A friend got caught last year near there at 127mph he got 2000 pound fine and 3 years ban

But is doing 166mph on a perfectly straight safe road any worse than doing 90mph round bends. I hear we are not real bikers unless we ride round blind corners with gay abandon at unsafe speeds.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
166mph.:doh:
Come on guy's we've all read the papers, seen the news about this sort of thing, why the shock?
He'll be out and on the bus in 4 months anyway!;)

Keep your speed down or you'll be picking up soap for Mr.Ben Dover and Phill McRevis for 4 sore months. Then try sitting on your...Nelli.:eek:

Bit of a no brainer really.

Klinker:doh:

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm with most of you on this regarding the jail sentence, But c'mon it was in a 60mph zone not an empty stretch of motorway the guy was being a bit of a numpty! he is just adding to the anti bike campaigners case, yes I do speed pretty much every time I ride my bike but I 'd like to think I choose my moments and place to speed with some sort of commonsense i.e dont breach the limits around towns (well not by much) and surely there aint a 60mph limit road that you could accelerate to 166mph and decelerate safely without a trouser filling moment? . We have some fantastic roads up here in Scotland with 60mph restrictions and I would safely say that 130 would be the max you could take without seriously putting yourself in position of not being able to slow enough and thats only on some stretches of road, I have seen 160+ on an empty very long stretch of motorway (some where in Europe in case plod is watching) and was rather spooked! and this was a one off to see what bike was capable of (o.k no excuse) but now have the knowledge that this is NOT a safe speed to travel at and am in no hurry to repeat the experience in the near future, the difference between 120-130 to 160 is vast in the fact that your body cannot react quickly enough and any slightest of movement is exagerated, your eyes will sruggle to focus with whats ahead and the wind force is enormous, this is seriously dangerous teritory In my opinion and sorry to see the guy jailed but what did he expect as I'm sure he as well of the rest of us have heard similar stories of guys being jailed for the same or less

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
woosh

somebody somewhere is taking the piss with that sentence. I reckon bill oddie had something to do with the sentencing. What if he had hit one of the rare haggis breeds known to roam in that area? :p

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I dont think anyone is excusing the guy for being a tool, or trying to condone what was clearly a ridiculous speed. Neither am I really surprised they threw the book at him. The point is why zero tolerance on speeding and give a guy who is probably (apart from being a tool) a decent law abiding bloke such a harsh sentence, which will no doubt ruin his life, but let off the scally who burgled my house with a slap on the wrist? I have no issue with taking a harsh line on speeding, as long as the law does the same for real crimes by real criminals which really hurt people other than the protagonist.

·
Registered
885 Posts
There was a very similar story a few months back with a biker jailed for same thing and another story about a car driver who killed someone while texting on his phone, the guy on the bike got a 9mth jail sentence and car driver got off with a fine and if I remember correctly a small jail sentence like 3 mths, the laws an ASS!

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Buggery

A lot of judges live in a world of whips and chains and a big house on another planet.:spank:

I'm not saying that in this case this bloke has done anything other than speed, but...if this went to court there is usually a jury of common folk who have ALL seen the facts, and take into account...what other offenses may have been committed as in a persons "previous" history too.
Like your "house braking", "buggery", "asking the wife for money/sexual favours", "anal sex", or other hair raising horrors that defy logic.

It's not always as simple as it sounds chap, ever done jury service, then you'd know.

Klinker;)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
A lot of judges live in a world of whips and chains and a big house on another planet.:spank:

I'm not saying that in this case this bloke has done anything other than speed, but...if this went to court there is usually a jury of common folk who have ALL seen the facts, and take into account...what other offenses may have been committed as in a persons "previous" history too.
Like your "house braking", "buggery", "asking the wife for money/sexual favours", "anal sex", or other hair raising horrors that defy logic.

It's not always as simple as it sounds chap, ever done jury service, then you'd know.

Klinker;)
I have done. However it's kind of irrelevant as that's not the point I am trying (and failing miserably) to make - he was guilty no question and clearly had priors for driving offences so its a fair cop. Besides it's not the jury that do the sentencing. The guy who burgled me had several priors, yet he got community service. I would lay money on this guy having a far better record. Priors are not a consideration in these cases it's all about making an example of speeders. Like I keep saying, that's fair enough as long as the sentence is proportionate to other crimes. It just isn't.
Always makes for an interesting debate tho eh ;)

·
Registered
885 Posts
I do get what your on about Borat, like I say the law is an ASS! the cops are bound over and hands are tied up with beaurocracy and more often than not the guilty parties are protected to a point that they can pretty much do as they please, I have had I've had 3 instances of being a victim of others actions (motoring) twice involving drunk drivers, and each time they have got let off because of circumstances, I assured the police on the last occassion that from now on I shall NOT call for thier assistance and shall administer my own justice at least that way the gits might think twice next time, but as stated at start of thread their reply was that I would end up in court!:mad:.
I have nearly Identified the last guys home and with a bit more detective work it wont be long till I have a fix on him and then my justice shall be administered;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts