Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some interest in my Tre from Europe... I had originally stated no overseas buyers, but given the state of the pound, I am wondering whether it might be worth considering as the price might be better. I am not going to wait around for anyone, but if someone is prepared to get over this week to take it and the price is right, I could be tempted. Only thing I wanted to check though is whether there is any additional paperwork to worry about? Anyone know?

Cheers

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I don't think there is any additional overseas rules according to the DVLA Borat. Just get them to fill in the relevant peperwork as you would for a normal UK buyer and the rest is then up to them;)
Be wary of the method of payment though buddy. Bankers drafts, cheques and cash could be counterfeight and you'll be screwed if they are. Ask them to do a CHAPS payment (they might have to pay a small fee to do this) but it is irreversible once it's done. With cheques and bankers drafts your bank might tell you that the funds have cleared but it might not be later on that the discover that it's fraudulent. Then you're buggered. If you do accept cash, then recommend that you both go to the bank to pay it in there. If it's dodgy he'll leg it.

Al (Did you know that Colgate faced a big obstacle marketing toothpaste in Spanish speaking countries. Colgate translates into the command "go hang yourself.")

:D

·
1,231 Posts
Notes

Don't let that bike leave until there are pound notes in your hand. Hard to fake cold hard currency. Like was mentioned before it is easy to fake other forms of payment!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Think about an EEC certificate as it is compulsory to register a bike for the buyer in Europe. Benelli has to provide it (a fax/mail to them should do the trick).

Do remind a French buyer that the bike has to be modified to be roadworthy in France to limit it to 100bph.

And if you are looking at a bank transfer to your account, confirm with your bank the transfer is genuine (CHAPS as mentionned above).

·
Registered
885 Posts
I lived in Greece for several years and had a Transalp (uk registered)and had loads of offers from greek guys to buy it but the Import duty was more than the bike was worth, I could have just signed paperwork over but It was still me that would have been liable for the duty, so I would make sure that it is noted that the bike was purchased in the U.K and not that you travelled there to sell it, rules may have changed but would certainly give it some thought

·
Registered
113 Posts
Colin
Dont be put off selling it abroad, we are so busy selling into Europe at the minute and its down to the Euro being so strong against the pound, we are literally having europeans turn up and buying as much used stock as they can take. You only have to inform the DVLA, via your V55 log book, of the buyers name and address and any legal requirements for the country of destination is purely the responsibility of the buyer not you. As with everyone else just use your own common sense with regard payment and you will be ok.
See you on Friday;)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the advice. I wouldnt take anything but cold hard cash anyway, but the tip about suggesting a trip to the bank is a good one, especially as I found I had a fake pound in my wallet today :rolling:

Dodgy - It should be Saturday, assuming weather is decent enough and no one has bought the bike. I am away on Friday. Will confirm later in the week anyway. Oh and check out my revised ebay ad... done just for you matey :rolling:

Col

1 - 8 of 8 Posts