Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's just about to give my tornado 900 its second service. Question is what oil is used by dealers (i have Fuchs 15 W 40) so this should be fine. What i want to know is can i call Brian Harris at benelli UK to get the other consumables? eg/ oil filter and so on. My Supplies only do Jap bikes!!

Cheers in advance

Ande

·
1,231 Posts
Call him!

Give Brian a call at KJM. If that doesn't work give Nigel at Taz in Peterburough a call. They both seem like genuine chaps!

·
1,841 Posts
Ande,the workshop manual states 15/50. I would stick with this, using oil of a grade not recommended by Benelli could be a risk ! :confused: You probably will never know even if something does fail !:bawl: Benelli should be the best at deciding what oil is suitable.:ele:
The make is not the important factor ,the spec is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey Colin thanks for the oil info (i did mean 15/50. Id be most Concerned if i dindnt know one oil from the next with bikes i service everyday LOL im an idiot!), as for the offer from Russ, you are the man, Seriously you are. I will give you a call tomorrow and order everything from you i need. Thanks again!

Ande

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
Mazda 323,626 oil filter

Guys,

You do also know that the Mazda oil filter fits the Tre/RS engine and 1/3 the price.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
oil filter

saw your post about mazda filter fitting tre 900 have you tried one only benelli say stick to original due to leaking oil on patent makes if so next time i service my nelli will try one ta

bennyboy :clap:

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
saw your post about mazda filter fitting tre 900 have you tried one only benelli say stick to original due to leaking oil on patent makes if so next time i service my nelli will try one ta

bennyboy :clap:
I used a Purolator and also a K&N on my Tre, no leaks, no problems. Of course, I have the Benelli filter on now so that's what the dealer will see :rolling:

·
5,966 Posts
I've been using a Ryco Z436 for a while now. I had it tested against the original, and it came up better. More flow, same filtration size.

·
Registered
123 Posts
have a read of this and see what you lads think!
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm
Are you fishing for another oil squabble, johnakay? :D
Surely there have been enough oil crusades in the past already. FWIW, the motorcycle-specific oils are more expensive, but this is a dear hobby, and the cost of oil is not a critical one in the total cost of owning and running a bike. I see little harm in using the (expen$ive) motorcycle oils, as long as they do their job well, and don't ruin the clutch or gear box. Whatever floats (and lubricates) each of our boats. As long as we do change the oil regularily and frequently enough.

So, I for one use whatever I see working fine with the bike, and which doesn't cost an arm and a leg (relatively speaking), and which makes my clutch and gear box work smoothly and quietly, without clutch slippage or other such woes.
To me that kind of oil is the Motorex 15W50 semi synth, which works well in Aprilias, Ducatis and Benellis. Surely there are other good ones, too, but this is my choice and it doesn't really matter to me if I could get a gallon of Mobil1/Kendall/Delvac/whatever for much less.

Besides, quite a few of the so called bulk oils (usually the cheaper and most widely used shopping mall oils) come in a number of different brands, but are in fact the one and the same stuff, just packed in containers with different labels on them. There is not much point in each label to make their own bulk products themselves, so those are usually made by one lubricant factory, which is delivering their product (for example, the usual and inexpensive 10W40 car oil) for a number of different labels. The more specific oils, usually in the higher price (profit margin) range, are always custom made blends by each manufacturer.

·
5,966 Posts
Good article johnakay. Injects a little science into the subject.
My opinion? Not that anyone is asking......
All oils start from a base. The better the base, the better the potential for a better lubricant. A poor base needs more additives to bring it up to the same standard. A synthetic oil base has the potential to be of a higher quality than a "natural" one.
That said - Benelli recommends an API rating of SJ, and 15W50. So any oil, synthetic or not, Motorcycle specific, or not, will do the trick. The only question is longevity.
If you're paranoid (like me) you sample every change, and get it analysed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts