Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about 5'5". I'm seriously thinking about getting a Tornado 1130 or possibly down a size to a 900. Do you think my height will give me any problems?

·
Registered
864 Posts
In short (excuse the pun) yes. :rolling:

It is a tall bike. I have 34" legs and my legs are straight with my feet flat on the deck

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Depends on how confident a rider you are. If you have loads of experience you should not have a problem, but the bike is high.

Paul

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
I think he met just smaller cubes- Not height

·
224 Posts
The Benelli is tall but also with the air ducts running the length of the bike under the body work, means that you sit on a wide bike as well.

My BIMOTA SB8RS bikes have the exact same seat height as the Benelli LE I have ....when I sit on the BIMOTA(s) I can flat foot both feet.....but on the Benelli I am on the tips of my toes....

The best thing to do is go sit on one and see....

As far as adapting a high bike to a short legged rider;

You can lower both the front and rear ride height...
You can go with lower profile tires....
You can have your suspension changed and/or modified to lower the bikes height at rest...

Keep in mind that if you lower the bike you are changing the geometry...so lower both the front and back to even out any extremes....

Also, if you lower the bike to much, you will need to shorten your side stand so the bike can be parked without fear of it easily tipping over...

And as you lower the ride height you may run into problems with your tires rubbing especially with bottoming the suspension....

And you loose ground clearance as you lower the bike meaning that parts can more easily scrape and/or touch the ground as you lean the bike over...

I have a 30" inseam and have been able to set up my Benelli as well as a dozen other bikes to my short legs....

Ultimately it is up to you as to what you feel is safe and comfortable...

I think the standard production Benellis are actually slightly lower and narrower than the LE....

If it turns out that the Benelli Tornado is just to tall for you, and you dont think you can adapt to it, or it to you.....you can always get a TNT Benelli instead....at least that way you get a Benelli.....

The TNTs are definately lower and more narrow than the Tornados...

Good luck

:bow:

·
3,085 Posts
Cafe Racer

If the tornado's are a problem go have a look at the TnT CR, sporty and slimmer in the middle with a lower seat height. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm only 5'3" and I bought the Tornado in March. I'm not that confident when I'm at junctions/roundabouts as I'm on my tiptoes but I've contacted DRS in Hull to get a quote on getting it lowered. They custom fit your bike to you and its all reversible so if you decide to sell then its ok.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Here in Medieval derbyshire we have the rack for those tricky moments so feel free for a long stretch !!!!, seriously though it sometimes feels like i'm on tip toes on mine and i'm 5'11" so i play with the suspension though and like it softer but only just today had the exhaust area beneath the engine ground out on a bumpy corner !!. supporting on one legs good for those its too tall moments ;)

·
5,929 Posts
I'm about 5'5". I'm seriously thinking about getting a Tornado 1130 or possibly down a size to a 900. Do you think my height will give me any problems?
I'm a tad over 5'6". After doing the following, I can get the balls of my feet securely on the deck.

Never had a problem with anything bottoming out, even fully loaded.

Nell turns in slightly quicker as well, 'cos the steering angle is now a little steeper. I like it that way.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The Benelli is tall but also with the air ducts running the length of the bike under the body work, means that you sit on a wide bike as well.

My BIMOTA SB8RS bikes have the exact same seat height as the Benelli LE I have ....when I sit on the BIMOTA(s) I can flat foot both feet.....but on the Benelli I am on the tips of my toes....

The best thing to do is go sit on one and see....

As far as adapting a high bike to a short legged rider;

You can lower both the front and rear ride height...
You can go with lower profile tires....
You can have your suspension changed and/or modified to lower the bikes height at rest...

Keep in mind that if you lower the bike you are changing the geometry...so lower both the front and back to even out any extremes....

Also, if you lower the bike to much, you will need to shorten your side stand so the bike can be parked without fear of it easily tipping over...

And as you lower the ride height you may run into problems with your tires rubbing especially with bottoming the suspension....

And you loose ground clearance as you lower the bike meaning that parts can more easily scrape and/or touch the ground as you lean the bike over...

I have a 30" inseam and have been able to set up my Benelli as well as a dozen other bikes to my short legs....

Ultimately it is up to you as to what you feel is safe and comfortable...

I think the standard production Benellis are actually slightly lower and narrower than the LE....

If it turns out that the Benelli Tornado is just to tall for you, and you dont think you can adapt to it, or it to you.....you can always get a TNT Benelli instead....at least that way you get a Benelli.....

The TNTs are definately lower and more narrow than the Tornados...

Good luck

:bow:

Anyone know what impact suspension adjustments have on the Tre ride height?

Mine have been adjusted by the previous owner however I've never changed them back to standard.

At 5'8 I find the bike about 2cm too high - not much I know and this isn't an issue at junctions etc but is a pain if I need to roll it backwards on even the slightest incline...means getting off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts