Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
how far do you reckon on reserve, not been brave enough to try too far yet. Done 8 miles from light coming on, dont want to run out, nellis find it hard starting anyway without having to suck up from an empty tank.
the book reckons its an 18ltr tank with 5 ltrs reserve, which works about right so far, put 13 ltrs in yesterday when light had been on for about 2 miles.
I reckon im getting about 35mpg, not that it matters that much, but I wonder if thats about average.
Steve.

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,418 Posts
I know thats what the book says but 5/18ths is a big reserve.
I've chickened out so far and only got 90 miles to the tank before i refill
The maths would suggest about 125 miles to empty?:confused:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
did 40 miles at 55 mph lying down under the screen 10.30 pm in france in the boonies miles from nowhere very worried but got fuel in the end and followed by a bar and refilled my empty tank . but safe is 25 at normal riding ,well thats wat mine does

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,418 Posts
did 40 miles at 55 mph lying down under the screen 10.30 pm in france in the boonies miles from nowhere very worried but got fuel in the end and followed by a bar and refilled my empty tank . but safe is 25 at normal riding ,well thats wat mine does
Is that forty miles with the fuel light on?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I got caught out in the Cotswolds last year on a treasure hunt where I turned down a petrol stop just after the light came on thinking i would pass another one. 25 miles down country lanes later we reached our destination and I had not seen one. Asked someone where the nearest one was - 20 miles away they said... gulp! Anyway, after a very reserved ride I made it and got the vacuum noise as I opened the tank which means it was close! So I would say playing it safe 30 - 35 miles is the limit.

·
5,934 Posts
Just recently, I've been able to fill almost at the point the light stays on (not flickering). In both cases, I put in 12.5 litres.

Don't expect yours to be the same though. The sender is dodgy as all hell. I've had to fix it a couple of times already, and have plans to replace it completely. The aim is to calibrate the readout so that each bar is 2 litres. The reserve light would then come on at 4 litres left.

The sender is a ceramic substrate with metal lines connected with resistive material. The resistive stuff gets worn off and lodges between the metal lines, reducing the resistances, stuffing up the calibration. I've cleaned them out twice.
The other problem, is that the berillium copper wiper gets worn by the metal lines, shaving it down to a point. When this happens, the wiper will stick when it needs to rise, causing the readout to measure lower than it really is.

My readout won't measure full anymore, although it measures ok repeatedly at low levels. I expect everyone's to go the same way ... in time.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive got to say Errol, I'm very impressed, your knowledge of the TRE is without doubt the best in the world. Where would we be without you, we are not worthy, cheers Steve

·
349 Posts
What i find so annoying is the way the light flashes so before it comes on permanetly.Especially at night,so i always try and keep the girl topped up which means topping it up every 80 miles or so.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
but is this the case with all.

my tre light on with 1 bar

my cafe racer light on with 2 bars

my 900sei no lights on and stops

my cars lights on constantly lazy bloody wife wont fill em up lol

·
5,934 Posts
Ive got to say Errol, I'm very impressed, your knowledge of the TRE is without doubt the best in the world. Where would we be without you, we are not worthy, cheers Steve
Thanks for the sentiments Steve, but the knowledge comes over time. I've just had mine for longer than most ... and traveled further on her.
I doubt if anyone else has poured 4,917 litres of fuel into theirs. Put that much fuel in, and you're bound to find out a few things.:)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, Errol thats a lot of fuel , i lost count after the 3rd fill up I think. I was so intoxicated by the sound of the triple I no longer cared about the MPG.
I placed this thread rather than run out, to find the accurate reserve mileage.
I now reckon that its about 30 miles with care, thanks to all who helped, hope it benefits others.
It leads me on now to, has anyone run out of fuel. Did it start again OK after being refilled, just in case someone does it again. Wont be me now though, Steve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts