Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey peeps can any of you guyz give me some help i want to know if my slipper is set up correct when i ride if i pull the clutch in to take some of the play off and come of the throttle off it jumps is this correct and sometimes at high revs it will just jump right in to the next gear (not on its own mind) i do it just want to know how every body elese works thanks ps (must be a blonde thing lol):rolling: i am thick:doh:

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
strange

hey peeps can any of you guyz give me some help i want to know if my slipper is set up correct when i ride if i pull the clutch in to take some of the play off and come of the throttle off it jumps is this correct and sometimes at high revs it will just jump right in to the next gear (not on its own mind) i do it just want to know how every body elese works thanks ps (must be a blonde thing lol):rolling: i am thick:doh:
not had that on my RS mate, to be honest i dont even notice that i have a slipper clutch......& before anyone says, Yes i do ride fast :)

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi John, It's not unusual to feel some 'jerkiness' in the lever when you throttle up and down as the slipper clutch does it's stuff.

I'm not sure what you mean about it "jumping into the next gear (not on it's own)" though, can you please explain a bit more?

·
Registered
864 Posts

I think you mean changing up without the clutch? Yes it does that no problem like you have discovered. Just like any other bike. The fact that the bike has a 'slipper' clutch has nothing to do with that. The 'slipper' element of the clutch is non adjustable. You can only adjust freeplay in the cable, again like any other cable operated clutch. If you are riding whilst slightly dragging the clutch? I would not suggest that, just adjust you clutch correctly in the first instance.

·
1,841 Posts
The slipper clutch is not exactly adjustable,but it can be made to slip by varying amounts. The clutch plate stack height is the main adjustment and also the pressure plate springs have an effect. I have tried my clutch with 2mm shorter stack, it was a bit too much slip for me.(It also made clutch very light due to springs less compressed but did not slip on drive) I now have it with 0.4 mm less stack (altered to prevent damage again to end plates see my pics)
It is lighter than original, it goes in neutral good and it is just about right on slip for me. Also strangely I do not feel the funny bit on the lever that I used to and other people feel.

·
Registered
864 Posts
As Colin says adjustments can be made, but this is not an easy job by any stretch of the imagination.(ie at the side of the road) It's a bike on the bench job.
The 'slipper' clutch can also be de-slipperfied (is that a word?!) if you prefer.

Only benefit of that would be the ability to bump start your bike if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere when it fails to start off the battery!

·
1,841 Posts
Only benefit of that would be the ability to bump start your bike if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere when it fails to start off the battery!
Yes I remember once trying to bump my TL ! (Yes they have a slipper)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hadn't thought of that. If they can't be bump started because of the slipper clutch, how can race bikes be started with the roller starter thingy that spins the back wheel:confused: ? Isn't that the same as a bump start, or am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time, mind you:rolling:

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hadn't thought of that. If they can't be bump started because of the slipper clutch, how can race bikes be started with the roller starter thingy that spins the back wheel:confused: ? Isn't that the same as a bump start, or am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time, mind you:rolling:

Cheers

Ian
Ian, Race bikes have the added functionality of a slipper clutch that can be locked so they can be started off the rollers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers

well guys you have answered my Q's thanks alot ps please keep me informed about the run to fort william next year as i will be up for that .......

·
Registered
885 Posts
Having not had my benelli long and being aware that they do have their electrical moments and that you cant bump start them, I noticed in halfords that they had a set of motorcycle jump leads, just a miniture set and they fit nicely in behind rear light,only cost a fiver for peace of mind:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
battery

just to let you know i use a solar panel to keep my battery charged as i don't have power in my garage it charges all year round and only cost me a tenner and works great never had a prob since i got it. i only had a flat batt once mind before i got it .

·
Registered
864 Posts
Having not had my benelli long and being aware that they do have their electrical moments and that you cant bump start them, I noticed in halfords that they had a set of motorcycle jump leads, just a miniture set and they fit nicely in behind rear light,only cost a fiver for peace of mind:)

That's very sensible and could save you a lot of grief! :) I wish I had thought of that a few years ago when I got caught out!

·
Registered
22 Posts
That gives me a bright idea.
I work on a lot of bikes and almost all seem to have trickle charger QD leads fitted. It would be very easy to make up a double ended fly lead for one of these to allow bikes to be jumped from each other without any need to gain access to the battery. A simple kit could also include a second connector with small clips allowing connection to a car battery or similar.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I bought a set of those last May before going on a little trip. Didn't need them but gave me peace of mind, so well worth it. :)
I'll try and stuff mine where you have stuffed yours. :rolling:

·
Registered
736 Posts
The slipper clutch is not exactly adjustable,but it can be made to slip by varying amounts. The clutch plate stack height is the main adjustment and also the pressure plate springs have an effect. I have tried my clutch with 2mm shorter stack, it was a bit too much slip for me.(It also made clutch very light due to springs less compressed but did not slip on drive) I now have it with 0.4 mm less stack (altered to prevent damage again to end plates see my pics)
It is lighter than original, it goes in neutral good and it is just about right on slip for me. Also strangely I do not feel the funny bit on the lever that I used to and other people feel.
can you simplify this Colin, more slip = less stack height? or the other way round?
Just installed a slipper from an RS to my TNT and tested it ......back wheel locked.....no slip :doh:
The plates are all 2mm so would I need to put one of the thinner ones in??

·
1,841 Posts
Hi Dave,yes it is with the stack height reduced that the slip increases.
As far as I remember my RS had 1x 3mm steel and the other steels at 2mm.
I reduced my height by leaving one 2mm steel out (that was side by side with another) and fitting some wider friction plates. My friction plates were 3mm ,I exchanged 2 with frictions of 3.8mm giving me overall 0.4mm shorter stack. I also did this as my original setup had over thrown the outer steel too far over the edge of the hub (and buggered the last 2 outer frictions). I think the tnt may have different width friction plates ? I bought my plates from motorcycleproducts.co.uk . They did not have suitable steels. hope that makes sense.
colin..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts