Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'day all,

First post in here...said g'day earlier in the general discussion area.

Has anyone here ridden an 899 yet? It seems they're flying under the radar as I've not heard much about them.

Basically I'm almost set on getting a TnT in a few months for road riding and track days (just sorting out $$ at the moment). As much as I want and could come up with the $$ for a 1130, the significant price difference is making the 899s a very attractive option, and possible the more fun option...

899 more fun than a 1130? Who is this mad aussie saying such crazy things about a bike with a name like TnT? Obviously the 899's power and probably more noticably the torqure won't be as insane as the 1130. From my track riding I tend to have more fun wringing the neck of a lesser powered bike, compared to holding on for dear life on a really powerful bike (my inline 4 1000cc). As much as my ego trys to deny it, it seems I am a mere mortal who does not possess the finely honed skills (or massive balls) of a pro racer.

I remember getting off my old monster 800 (with a thundering 70hp:eek: ) after riding every session on a track day and smiling like I'd just spent a dirty weekend away with Kate Beckinsdale (assuming she left her hubby at home of course). I then 'upgraded' to a fireblade track bike and whilst there's no doubt I was much quicker on the blade (about 15 seconds quicker!) it just wasn't as much fun. Not even close. Riding a bike near it's limits is a unique experience; an experience I did not feel on the blade.

So my ego tells me I need the 1130 and all it's hp and torque, but my brain is telling me I've been down the 'more power' road before and have regretted it.

My ego also wants to hear your aweful impressions of the 899 so I can tell my brain to go back to more important pursuits and leave me the hell alone whilst I buy a 1130 like all real men should do :doh:

Cheers

Greg

·
3,085 Posts
Hi Greg

apart from a quick spin as seen in the AMCN with the bimota on the cover that all Ive heard on the 899 in aussie mags. however i imagine you should be able to find a dealer in Qld with at 1130 and possibly a 899, they are now in the country.

·
5,928 Posts
I remember JohnnyO (who's raced both the 900 Tornado, and the 1130 TNT) saying that the 900 is better on the track because it spins better. Not exactly sure what he meant by that. Maybe, being a shorter stroke, it's better at the top end. Maybe it delivers the power more smoothly.

The only track day I've done was at Eastern Creek, on a VF750. Now that was exciting!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember JohnnyO (who's raced both the 900 Tornado, and the 1130 TNT) saying that the 900 is better on the track because it spins better. Not exactly sure what he meant by that. Maybe, being a shorter stroke, it's better at the top end. Maybe it delivers the power more smoothly.

The only track day I've done was at Eastern Creek, on a VF750. Now that was exciting!
Track days are a blast. Riding our bikes like they were meant to be ridden is a great feeling (just don't crash) :(

I know a lot of hardcore ducati riders and its common place for the quicker and more experienced riders of that circle to drool over and own 748/749/848 rather than the top spec superbikes of the day. It all seems to match my experience too.

So bring on some 899 feedback! In particular the 899s for its suspension ;)

I know they haven't been in Australia for long, but I assume they've been out in Europe for a bit longer. The 899s compares well in $$ vs specs to bikes like Ducati monster S2R1000, so I reckon Benelli would have stolen a few air cooled monster sales already.

Cheers

Greg

PS...No there's nowhere here to test ride one that I know of...at least not at the moment :bawl:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
however i imagine you should be able to find a dealer in Qld with at 1130 and possibly a 899, they are now in the country.
No dealers here in south east qld at the moment :(

I was able to see a red standard 1130 (blimmin gorgeous in red...wish it had adjustable forks) and an 07 sport which are hidden away in a scooter shop in the valley, but that place is not really a dealer for them...just the scooters I think.

Hopefully a new dealer will appear soon

Cheers

Greg

·
442 Posts
G'day Choc
i've got a TNT sport 06 model,and have been at 2 track days at Oran Park Sydney.Oh and no i'm not what you call a great rider,but i had a hoot of a time:excited: going around that track.I reckon if you want to ride as well on the road,the 1130 is the way to go.
and sorry NO i haven't had a ride on a 899.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G'day Choc
i've got a TNT sport 06 model,and have been at 2 track days at Oran Park Sydney.Oh and no i'm not what you call a great rider,but i had a hoot of a time:excited: going around that track.I reckon if you want to ride as well on the road,the 1130 is the way to go.
and sorry NO i haven't had a ride on a 899.
Hey Madwog...thanks mate. Do you think the 1130 would be better for the road cause it'd have more torque low down and wouldn't be as revvy?

Would love to have somewhere like oran park to ride. Qld raceway is pretty lame as far as racing tracks go.

Cheers

·
442 Posts
I'm guessing that Choc.i've had mine for 2 years and it my first road bike ever.
it all depends on were you ride i think.
i'm 6'1 and 147kg,and the 1130 pulls me along just fine.even sometimes more than just fine.:D .the pulling power it's got is awsome,sometimes sh*ting myself.

·
442 Posts
also been to PI 3 times now to watch the racers,and yes its not to revvy for those long rides.and what a great ride it is

1 - 9 of 9 Posts