Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems with the solenoid that operates the air box and exhaust flaps. Over a period of time it's started to have problems closing the two flaps especially when the engine is hot. Now it could't pull the skin off so to speak.

The cables seem ok, both flaps move freely and the battery whilst a bit tired still shows a good 13.5 volts after a charge up.

Anyone had any issues with the actual solenoid before?

Of course I could just take it off but I'd rather leave it connected because the noise around town is very naughty with my Termi system.

Mike

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Mike,
firstly I would strongly recommend removing the flaps etc, etc, however if you really want to keep the "power zapping crap air box flaps" and "jack the ripper strangling exhaust valve" (I think you can tell my feelings here) :rolleyes: then you need to remove the solenoid, take it to pieces to clean it (you will see it doesn’t have seals to prevent it getting contaminated)
Once in bits wash the centre rod and inside of the solenoid meticulously with paraffin or wd40 until it has a smooth action.
oil both cables particularly the exhaust valve cable as it is constantly being heated by the exhaust pipe at the valve end, after that check the airbox flaps and exhaust valve are free to open and close without feeling stiff or "gritty" then put it all back together and it should work fine……….did you know that even when the exhaust valve is fully open it still gives over 20% restriction in the exhaust pipe!!! And as for the airbox flaps :( ……….. So if you want to feel the real power of TNT, do the mods.

·
5,929 Posts
How does it stack up against some Harleys noise wise? Many of them are over the limit. When it comes to put them 'over the pits', they hire a set of quiet pipes from the local Harley shop. Maybe you could do the same with the original pipe?

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Mike,
I have a devil pipe on my TNT, with the baffle in it sounds slightly quieter than the standard pipe. Don't know what the termy sounds like with the baffle in (only ever heard them without baffles) but I’m surprised if it's any louder than the devil with a baffle............the valve in the exhaust is also for noise emission, so remember that it should be pulled shut by the solenoid when you first start the bike and then open (from memory) at about 3000rpm if your solenoid is sticking it could be open all the time and not shutting at low revs…..
the valves are also known for closing on their own at full throttle high revs due to back pressure in the exhaust pipe it feels like someone has taken about 800cc from your engine when it happens it makes lots of induction noise but runs flat as your testicles in a mangle (for the record I have never tried it)……..hope this helps a bit
Terry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts