Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I have a '07 TNT 1130 Sport. I love the bike but twice now I have been back to the dealer to have the oil leak that comes from the oil pressure sending unit, on the lower right side of the engine repaired.

It's not much of a leak, more of a slight weaping. After a 50KM ride there might be just a couple of drops on the toe of my right boot. The oil gets nowhere near the rear tire thankfully.

I know it's a fairly common problem and I read on here that a slightly bigger o-ring fitted would work but no luck.

The dealer is 220km away so I would like to try and fix it myself.

Does anyone have a solution to offer up?

Thanks
Gary

·
Registered
254 Posts
I thought the timing pickup on the lower right side of mine was weeping but it turned out to be the case leaking at the case and the steel plug on the right side of the counterbalancer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure mine is the oil sender unit. At least that is what it looks like when I look under the bike.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok here is a self serving bump for the weekend.:ele:

Somebody must know something.

Of the 4 TNT's that the dealer has sold 3 have the same oil weaping issue.

Surely some of the more knowledgeable gents on the other side of the Atlantic have a solution.

Maybe this is only a TNT issue and I should re-post in that forum.

Gary

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you are referring to the leak that's near the phase sensor (see pic) it's usually due to seepage from the horizontal crankcase split located just above it.

To fix it you need to remove the clutch cover and apply some suitable sealant to the inside of the front horizontal case join.

Mine got so bad I ended up with smoke off the headers from where it dripped. Scared the life out of me!

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip.

If I dab a towel directly under that sensor after a ride there maybe a small drop on the towel.

I think what I will do is throughly degrease the whole area around that sensor, go for a ride and then see if I can spot the leak.

I had heard that a good way to tell where the leak is coming from is to blow white baking flower onto the area and where it sticks is where the oil is present. Never tried it but it might be worth a shot.

I certainly don't want to see it get any worse.

Having just paid for $80.00 worth of Motul racing oil I don't want to lose a drop either.

Gary

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[/IMG]

This is the seam you are refering to?
Does it extend behind the clutch cover? and is this where you put the sealant?

Is there a gasket I will have to get from Benelli?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I just went 5 weeks waiting on a water pump and our summer are too short to wait another 5 weeks waiting for a gasket.

What particular brand of sealant did you find was successful?

I need to make sure I know what I am doing before I start.

I really can't tell where exactly the oil is coming from

thanks
Gary

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you look just above the sensor you'll see a horizontal line where the upper and lower cases meet. The sealant goes on the rear inside the case (cover the last inch).

Mine was done at service so I'm not sure what they used - I'll see if I can find out.

Putting a bit of "3 bond" or similar gasket sealant over the splits front and rear just under the clutch cover is also recommended.

The gasket under the clutch cover is reusable and should come off without any problems.

Mike

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Make sure the metal is clean of oil before using. Clean with rubbing alcohol or thinners. The cleaner the better for the sealer to adhere to inside of casing.

Paul

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just awesome help guys. Much appreciated.

I will post a step by step with pics. Maybe it will help others. Like I mentioned 3 out of the 4 bikes my dealer has sold have this oil leak.

thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts