Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spoken with Sam, a mechanic at three cross in britain with 25 years experience on benelli's and MV's, about some of the problems we have been discussing in the forum. First, the clock problem may have a simple solution until they recall them (if that happens at all). It seems all italian makers hard wire the computers so that they always are hot. Simple solution, the off switch turns off the flow of elctricity to them and saves the battery. See if that solves the problems. There has been a clutch problem that Benelli was aware of but didn't bother to solve with the difficulty getting into 1st gear. That again is just a part that needs to be replaced by the dealer. If anyone needs oil filters for their tornado and wants OEM ones call three cross motorcycles at 01202-810204 and ask for John the service manager, they have loads. Now here is a major one. There has been a trend of springs breaking inside the clutches. That doesn't hurt anything in and of itself however it does cause the starter to engage very hard into the flywheel. This causes cracks between the teeth and the holes drilled to conserve weight. When those cracks give....BAD THINGS MAN, REALLY BAD THINGS HAPPEN... so get your mechanics to check that flywheel for cracks on your services. The RS that was torn apart on the service lift was going to have to be ripped down to bare. Not fun but at least it is winter time in britain. Also, if you have a limited edition let me know if you want to trickle charge it. i have the alternate locations for you so you don't have to bugger up the plastic battery weather covering in order to attach your cables. I have #131.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
a few problems

i have e mailed benelli hoping to get clarification about warranty cover on my year old tnt and tornado,and to ask if we will see racalls next year.
it is a good job that we brits wont be riding our bikes much now over the coming weeks,because i for one are scared of my clutch breaking up.
why dont we all try and contact them and see what they say ?.
zebo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, very good move, I think!

Thanks, johnyrottin and zebo, for the proposing to contact Benelli and try to work together with them. I would very much support (actively, if wanted) this idea. While no one has an any interest in causing any unnecessary fuss or in causing a stir I think it is time for us to play a more active part to ensure that some issues are fixed (and by doing so, also helping Benelli getting back on track as it is naive to believe that they will succeed with new models, as thrilling as they are, if they ignore current customers). As it seems, there is damage to be prevented (clutch) about which they do not seems to worry too much.

As much as I think it is very positive that Benelli has been taken over by a company that could have a real interest in Benelli prospering as a make and a brand it is not reassuring at all that Benelli does not communicate to the public/customers as far as I can see. Usually there are only a few (bad) reasons for that to happen: either the legalities are not as sorted as we think so that no one can talk, or nobody wants to talk and prefers to "plod on" which would be scarily unprofessional or there is still so much chaos at Benelli that they have bigger worries that communicate. We will only find out if we are a bit more active and I support this approach.

Along those lines: Did anyone who visited the Milan EICMA exhibition have a chance to speak with someone from Benelli???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Clocks Resetting

"the clock problem may have a simple solution until they recall them (if that happens at all). It seems all italian makers hard wire the computers so that they always are hot. Simple solution, the off switch turns off the flow of elctricity to them and saves the battery."

Unfortunately, the clocks need to have continuous power in order to retain the trip meter value, and for the real time clock to continue counting. So rewiring it to remove the power will cause the clocks to do the very thing you are trying to fix.

I've had 2 attempts at solving this, but the only way is to provide a backup battery, for the few seconds that the starter is cranking the engine - when the battery voltage falls to below 4.5V. I've laid out the circuit, and will get the board made next week. Test it the week later.

Hang in there. The solution is at hand. (I think)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
more

What I intended to pass on concerning info about the clocks is to turn the power ignition switch on your right hand bar off (little red button-in) this will discontinue the draw that the computer makes. The computer does not need continuous power. I will contact the new importer for Benelli here in the UK (KJM Superbikes) and see if they are in comm with Benelli ( as they should be since they are the official importer) Until then Three cross 01202-810204 (Jordan sales - John service manager, Sam - Benelli mech) will be easily able to meet our needs so just give them a ring if we have questions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: more - ECU battery drain

I was wondering if I was missing something in your post.

Reducing the battery drain from the ECU makes sense. I haven't measured it, but I wouldn't have thought that the ECU would draw much when it was asleep -- probably only significant over a week or two. Not a day, but every little helps, I guess, when the battery is as marginal as it certainly is.

That aside, I've had the clocks reset every time I started the bike. Even after running for hours between fuel stops, so the battery must have been fully charged at the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a few problems

i have had a reply to my e mail from benelli.
at least they have confirmed that i have the remainder
of the manufacturers warranty on my tre and tnt.
but i now wonder what the second year covers,probably not body panels or paintwork i bet.i only have until june next year on both bikes,so lets hope that a local dealer will be up and running before then eh!.because the biggest problem for most of us is the distance involved to get anything sorted.
i could not find anyone who spoke english at milan to ask about recalls etc.
my e mail from them just said that there were no recalls planned,and the outside mounting fans on the tnt would be available as an upgrade.
soon be christmas!!
zebo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts