Benelli Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some Q & A's with Advice from John Orchard

Dear Benelli Owners,

Here are some questions I asked John from the Australian Importer re the Tornado 903, and his answers.

Q
Is there a specific chain for the Tornado as in number of links or will any DID or Regina O ring chain that goes upto 1000CC fit?

A
The specific size of chain for the Tornado is 525, any brand will fit it. It is generally considered in the industry that both chain & sprockets should always be replaced as a set; new chain on old sprockets or new sprockets with old chain will drastically shorten their life.

Q
Is there a specific Brand of sprockets (front and rear) or will any AFAM dealer be able to fit something?

A
I do not know if the AFAM importers can supply the Tornado sprockets to suit 525 size chain, I have converted my race bike to a lighter 520 size race chain; I managed to buy the rear sprockets to suit the Tornado in 520 size but had to grind down an original Benelli front sprocket. We have genuine front sprockets in both 15 & 16 teeth options and we have rear sprockets in light weight alloy in 41, 42 & 43 teeth options. I strongly recommend dropping one tooth on the front sprocket from standard to the 15 teeth sprocket and stay with the standard 43 teeth rear.

Q
Even though you replaced the instrument panel the Clock and trip meter still keeps resetting itself when starting. Sometimes Ok, sometime keeps resetting. Any news from Benelli as to whether they will fix this or is it a case of just living with it?

A
With regards to the faulty instrument assemblies; Benelli suggest us to keep replacing them until we get a good set, I’m sorry for the inconvenience to you but trust me, it is an incredible inconvenience for us in both time & costs to keep replacing these instruments.

Q
Can this engine (903) be upgraded using some RS parts? If so what parts and how much?

A
The engine could be upgraded, not exactly sure which way to go, I think firstly; a 15 tooth front sprocket, then an RS inlet cam and possibly a set of TNT inlet trumpets (I still want to test this mod). If money was no object I would also fit an RS cylinder head but I think the cost would far outweigh the small performance gain. I am going to upgrade our demo Tornado with the above mods, I’ll let all Tornado owners know how it goes.

Q
I put the bike on a stand and oiled the chain last night, I will take it out for a ride on the weekend and check whether the chain still drags on the frame and see whether the chain needs to be changed (I read on the forum that some guys changed to a heavier chain and this took care of it) I also noticed that when the bike was in gear and the clutch lever pulled in the back wheel would still rotate at a pace, is this normal (as in the oil pressure going through does this) ) or does the clutch need further adjustment ?

A
Changing the chain will not stop it from touching the frame, the problem is because there is not enough room for the chain to pass through there. My recommendation is to just clean it up (maybe with a file) where the chain touches just to keep it looking a little smarter.

It is normal for the rear wheel to rotate when it is on a paddock stand with the engine running, especially in gear with the clutch lever in, most bikes even do it in neutral due to drag from the oil.

Hope this helps

Tax :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Q & As

Tax and John - Nice posting - thanks.

One bit to add on the answer related to "I will take it out for a ride on the weekend and check whether the chain still drags on the frame and see whether the chain needs to be changed" :

I've heard that some UK dealers have fitted an RS chain guide to the swinging arm of standard Tres under warantee (or possibly FOC at their own discretion). This doesn't stop the chain hitting the frame, but it does cover up any scratches on the swinging arm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts