Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked out excessive clutch noise over the weekend, half expecting to find a loose alternator gear as discussed elsewhere.
That was ok, no end play etc.

What i did find however was alot of play in the basket itself.
ie the outer basket, with the large gear attched could be moved both in/out and "wobbled" (technical term..) around on its bearing.

I did not have the correct size socket to remove the clutch to examine further so will have to wait until i get one sorted.
However i would appreciate assorted expertise in getting this sorted.

The manual seems to suggest that the main bearing inside the basket can be replaced, so hopefully wont need a new basket (i was told by the dealer that the basket was replaced when i got it in May.)

An idiots guide to dismantling/examining the clutch/bearing etc would be massivley appreciated.

ta

Ian

·
5,931 Posts
It's pretty straight forward, Ian.
Unscrew all 6 of the pressure plate screws, then remove the discs - keeping them in order for re-assembly. (Don't wash them - just keep them clean)

Use a magnet to remove the ball bearing from inside the primary shaft.
You'll need a 36mm socket to fit the clutch nut.
If you select 6th gear, and lean on the rear brake, you'll be able to remove the nut.

Chances are real high, that the clutch bearings are worn & need replacement. Mine were exhibiting the same symptoms as yours, at about 55,000 km. They had worn flat, & weren't rolling anymore. They're a standard bearing, so aren't expensive to replace. 2 off KT40x47x18

Look at your thrust bearing as well. It's standard, so if it is notchy, replace it. It's just a standard ball race bearing, not the right type for the job, but it's cheap.

While it's apart, check it's manufacturing date - mine's a 2003 model, & has 03 cast into it - not sure exactly where, but you'll see it.
Also check the movement in the shock springs on the back. 2 may well be loose. Any more than 5mm of gap is getting a bit excessive, and the source of much of the engine's rattles at idle. No gap is better - which is what the later models are.

When re-assembling, follow the manual. It'll confirm the orientation of the stepped & convex washers. NB: the last plate is offset, as per the diagram on P.161

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Errol,
Fantastic!

Many, many thanks, sure you have just saved me alot of time and a hell of a lot of money!

ian

·
1,841 Posts
On my original 03 clutch and the new 07 clutch fitted the bearings are not slip fit,they are "press fit" in the basket. If you have a new basket fitted by dealer it should have these later type bearings that may be different to the ones Errol described ? I would assume they can still be changed.
colin

·
1,841 Posts
I have looked at my old basket and the 2 bearings appear to be 47 mm external, but seem only 16mm wide (by measuring a piece of paper pressed on to cage iyswim). there is a gap between them so i assume a lip which would mean pressing each one in from either side. If i get time and can work out a way I will try and get them out in one piece. Surflex have told me they would replace my new 07 basket if it failed,so if you have a 07 fitted by the dealer then as the bearings are now sold as part of the basket, try requesting a replacement.
could be moved both in/out and "wobbled"
I would expect some wobble, but the in and out could mean loose or incorrect washers etc and therefore wants a check as per Errols details.
colin.
Just realised. We've had this discussion before. Maybe a year ago.
I cant even remember what i did yesterday !:doh:

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all,
Will pull it apart and take a look.

Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts