Benelli Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone changed their spark plugs and if so what brand/part no and do you need special tools for a DIY.

Thanks
Tax

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did mine last weekend. Couldn't get Champions, so settled with the NGK CR9E's. JohnnyO reckoned I could have put a hotter one in.

The problem with NGK's is that they don't come with caps, just the bare screw thread. You need the caps, because the connection to the plug is by a coil spring, and it won't do this properly to the thread. So go out and find some old caps, if you can't get Champions.

Next problem. The plug spanner that comes in the kit is fine for #1 & #2, but you won't get it past the frame for #3. I cut mine to length and drilled some more torque bar holes in it, and it now works a treat. You don't need the 17mm socket on the other end.

Also a good time to check if your tip-over switch works. You'll have the air box off, so have a look.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pluggin your holes...

Catchy title...I keep seeing spark plugs on ebay for the tornado, Might try there for some.:(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: pluggin your holes...

Thanks Engenia & JR,

Engenia: The Champions have the caps do they?

Also was it the new NGK that you fitted? or the older type, I think the new one is the iridium one.

So I take it you do not have to fart ass around with the front cowl panels etc, just get the tank off and airbox off?

Cheers
Tax

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The Champions have moulded caps.
NGK probably make Iridiums, but I didn't use them.

You can take the tank & airbox off without removing the upper fairing panels, but with them off, you don't have to worry about scratching or chipping paint. You also have more room to get at the breather pipes and fuel line. With them in place, you probably could do with a second pair of hands.

Remember to put some cloth over the top triple clamp to protect it from being scratched by the front tank bracket!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks Engenia,

Triple clamp was @#%$ by a Benelli sanctioned service dealer funny how they do not give an eff about keeping these things in pristine condition..

What do you do..ask them to replce it? given the issues with importation, factory etc

Thanks for the advice re the plugs

BTW: Have you performed a coolant change and if so can you recall how many litres the radiator and pipes hold..

Thanks
Tax

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Tax, no, I haven't changed the coolant, but the workshop manual reckons it holds about 3 litres.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

It is about 3 litres, that's how much I had to replace when my front core plug let go and the coolant p***ed out all over the floor. The system was completely emptied by the time I had limped home with my eyes glued to the temperature gauge.... :eek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks,

Mine held 2 litres at first pass, I will check again tonight and see whether it went down after I ran the engine yesterday.

Based on aussievtr's post I tried the Silkolene Pro 4 Plus 10W 50 and immediately notice a difference in finding neutral, gear changing and general running.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Tax

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Tax,
I was talking to John O last Friday. Amongst other things, he reckoned that he's added up to 600ml of coolant after bleeding the system - lean the bike as far as it will go left, stand up, top up, lean all the way right, stand and top up.
Try bleeding it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts