Benelli Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Picked up my 2013 TNT R160 a couple weeks ago here in QLD, Australia. Since 10 days, the speedo and trip meter reads 0000000 and is stuck that way.
I was reading that the sensor could be faulty which I can look to replace, but is there a fuse on the circuit as well I should check?
And where would I find that one?
Any hints on where to buy the sensor would be awesome too! Thanks!

·
5,899 Posts
The sensor could be faulty, or it might not be getting power. There are 3 wires, ground, +12V & signal. You'll have to look at the R160 wiring diagram, but I expect that it gets +12V from the services fuse, and the two others go directly back to the dash.
Before you do anything, make sure the sensor is ~ 1 mm from the brake rotor bolts, and that they haven't been changed to stainless steel (they must be magnetic)
If that checks out, and it's still no go get a voltmeter to test the circuit.
  • meter gnd to battery -ve
  • use a sharp fine sewing needle to penetrate the insulation of the 12V wire at the dash side of the 3 pin superseal connectors - you should measure ~12V with the ignition on & dash on display.
  • if that is ok, check the sensor signal. Penetrate the signal wire as above and measure the voltage as you slowly rotate the rear wheel. As the bolt passes you should see a 5V pulse that drops to zero again once it's past. It will probably decay to zero if you hover the bolt over the sensor.
Let me know how it goes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sensor could be faulty, or it might not be getting power. There are 3 wires, ground, +12V & signal. You'll have to look at the R160 wiring diagram, but I expect that it gets +12V from the services fuse, and the two others go directly back to the dash.
Before you do anything, make sure the sensor is ~ 1 mm from the brake rotor bolts, and that they haven't been changed to stainless steel (they must be magnetic)
If that checks out, and it's still no go get a voltmeter to test the circuit.
  • meter gnd to battery -ve
  • use a sharp fine sewing needle to penetrate the insulation of the 12V wire at the dash side of the 3 pin superseal connectors - you should measure ~12V with the ignition on & dash on display.
  • if that is ok, check the sensor signal. Penetrate the signal wire as above and measure the voltage as you slowly rotate the rear wheel. As the bolt passes you should see a 5V pulse that drops to zero again once it's past. It will probably decay to zero if you hover the bolt over the sensor.
Let me know how it goes - email me <[email protected]>. Easier than PMs
Thanks Errol! Clear instructions - very helpful! I'll dive into it tomorrow and keep you posted.
Cheers mate

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi guys,
Picked up my 2013 TNT R160 a couple weeks ago here in QLD, Australia. Since 10 days, the speedo and trip meter reads 0000000 and is stuck that way.
I was reading that the sensor could be faulty which I can look to replace, but is there a fuse on the circuit as well I should check?
And where would I find that one?
Any hints on where to buy the sensor would be awesome too! Thanks!
It sounds like it is reading lap timer and not odometer. After you have started the engine, hold starter button in for about 10 seconds and see if it reverts back to odometer. Oh and not with clutch pulled in though. Nigel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like it is reading lap timer and not odometer. After you have started the engine, hold starter button in for about 10 seconds and see if it reverts back to odometer. Oh and not with clutch pulled in though. Nigel.
Hey Nigel - that was it - so easy! Thanks mate, that saved me a lot of unnecessary work haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts