Benelli Forum banner

Standard TNT vs Cafe Racer

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Quirky 
#1 ·
As the title says which one handles better?

#2 ·
I think it's a matter of taste.
I've taken a ride with both Cafe Racer and Sport, and later on the standard TnT as well. In theory, one might say that the TnT Sport might handle best, because it has fully adjustable suspension and radial brakes, but in real life the difference is not that significant. The traditional brakes in Cafe Racer work pretty well, too, and I actually liked it more than the Sport, mostly because of the clip on handlebars, which give a more forward-leaning, sportier riding posture.

So does the Cafe Racer actually handle better than the standard TnT, and not the Sport, well, I don't know. Suppose there is no big difference with both in their default settings. I for one would take the Cafe Racer, not because it would handle better, but because I like the cafe racer riding style more than the upright style of the standard. An adjustable front suspension would be a plus, too. I think I was quicker with the Cafe Racer than I was with the other aforementioned TnT models.

#3 ·
Clip ons also help shift and keep more weight onto the front wheel/tire and along with better tucked in rider positioning can actually greatly improve front tire traction and feel....allowing more aggressive and/or faster cornering.

Personally I like the cafe racer best....mostly due to the look and colors used.

I think if Benelli comes out with the Titanium TNT varient...that may be the number one pick...

#4 ·
Personally I like the cafe racer best....mostly due to the look and colors used.

I think if Benelli comes out with the Titanium TNT varient...that may be the number one pick...
Well, if you order one you'll get one. ;)

I like the Cafe Racer best, too, but having been riding a TnT sport lately, I have to say, it's not too shabby, either. The adjustable front and radial brakes are nice, and it is also fun to ride. The red frame and swingarm look great, along with the brown handlebar, but the gold and maroon CR still looks funkier. Well, perhaps a white and red Sport, together with CR-style clipons and bar end mirrors could be a near winner, right after the (built-on-demand) Titanium.

#5 ·
Which is best?

I agree with you Quirky, it's down to personal preference.

I have been lucky enough to ride all of the TNT range (including the Titanium!) and found that overall I prefer the Cafe Racer because it looks soooo good and handles well enough. The Titanium is also an par with the Cafe Racer and makes a glorious bark when used in anger but it is nearly £4000.00 more than the Cafe Racer so I would rule it out through that alone.

#6 ·
I've bought the CR and ridden a standard '04 TNT. I find the TNT ('04) to feel more like being on a dirt bike with it's upright position. It tends to make you want to throw it around more, especially in the back streets and traffic.

The CR on the other hand, with it's more aggressive riding position tends to feel much more like you are part of the bike and encourage higher speeds and more aggressive cornering.

#7 ·
Yeap, my vote would go to the Cafe Racer as well, (not having tried the Titanium yet, though), but right now I'm a bit tempted by two a bit more affordable choices of a standard TnT and a Sport, while there's no equally affordable choice of CR. Another thought that comes to mind would be to CR'ify a Sport or a standard TnT, by installing clipons on it, or some other, more radical handlebar. I may have asked this earlier, but I wonder if anyone has tried that already?

#8 ·
For my money the sport has a fabulous riding position. It's very neutral with just a hint of forward bias and perfect for tight twisty roads where you can really let the TnT's grunty motor get it on without attracting the boys in blue!

You may become part of the bike on the Cafe Racer but on the Sport & standard models the bike becomes part of you :D

Mike

#10 · (Edited)
Heh, well put, and good point. To me the Sport (or the standard) was just a bit too upright to my liking, coming from the more forward-leaning camp. The windblast, especially when riding against the wind (I live on the coast, so it's always windy, heh), was rather unpleasant, but clearly not as bad as I thought it would. Suppose one would get used to that, too, especially when the rest of the riding posture is so comfy. Enough room for the feet, and so on.

Maniac Motors in germany sell the top triple clamps and risers to convert one to the other, the parts are from robby moto, also PVK in germany sells the parts too
Thanks for the tip. Got to do some research some time.
And thanks for the input, fellas, now you made my decision making even harder, and possibly very damaging for my wallet. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.