Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I should have asked this ages ago, but I forgot until I was at work today and left at the same time as my mate with a Honda.
It took me about 4 seconds of starter cranking before it fired and ran, the Honda (typically) started before the starter motor had made one revolution.
The question is, do all Benellis do this ? Its down to about 1-2seconds cranking when hot, and I just thought thats the way it is unless you can advise me otherwise, runs fine when started of course, Steve.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Good question because my old Tre would start first time normally on a couple of cranks, but the LE tends to take 2 or 3 gos with a few spins at a time. I was going to get Russ to take a look when its in for its service. Could just be as simple as plugs as I dont think they were changed before I got it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It always starts first time, its just the length of time it takes to do so, how long do you reckon yours takes ???

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Steve, none of the TRE's that I have had have been that hesitant in starting. When was the last time you had it serviced?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was done at 3000 miles by dealer and now has 4500 on it, I did it myself when i got it but didnt do the plugs, I reckon I will do them when i do the chain and sprockets next weekend, also fitting new alternator rubbers as they were a bit worn and I now have new ones, just waiting for the sprockets, Laurence, did you get the cheque OK, Steve.

PS I will use iridium plugs as they are the mutts wotsits in my TZR.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Sprockets??? What Cheque :confused: :rolling:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It always starts first time, its just the length of time it takes to do so, how long do you reckon yours takes ???
It varies... sometimes its within 2 or 3 seconds like my old tre was, but others it seems to take 4 or 5 seconds, and sometimes a couple of trys. Mine was left in a garage for 4 years so "technically" unused, so wondering if KJM didnt bother to change the plugs. Only Oil and filter mentioned in the stuff I got when I picked it up. Not overly concerned as the master magician will be giving it the once over in a few weeks :clap:

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,418 Posts
that sounds familiar to me,i just put it down to the cheap crappy battery that was fitted as standard.TBH as long as it goes sooner or later i'm happy.
It never takes more than 4 secs,sometimes less than one.:)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats good to know Freed, seeings as though you've had yours set up recently, I reckon you could be right, if it had a stronger battery on it would spin over faster and presumably start quicker, food for thought eh, Steve.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Thats good to know Freed, seeings as though you've had yours set up recently, I reckon you could be right, if it had a stronger battery on it would spin over faster and presumably start quicker, food for thought eh, Steve.
Check Engenias website there are apparently some bigger batteries that fit if you wanted to go down that route. Personally I just leave it on the optimate all the time and hasnt failed me yet.

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,418 Posts
Optimate here too...might not be connected but since its come back from Streffords the trip hasn't reset itself on startup either:confused: :rolleyes: :clap:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Errol, spot on as always, i should have checked your site first. Thats got to be it, with new iridium plugs and extra cables I reckon it will be better, cheers mate, Steve.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not me too.....but mines never missed a beat

Well until today. Tricked me by starting first time, but after a 12 mile ride to a retail park it wouldn't start after a 10 minute layup. Dahhhh!!!!!! God bless the AA, but not without a fight - wouldn't recommend bump starting :doh:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No bumpo starto with a slipper clutch, as they say in Italy, makes it a bit tricky, i take it that the battery was at fault, Steve.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine takes easily 4 or 5 seconds of cranking when cold. Typically it'll catch after 2 seconds then die. Wait a second for the starter to spin down, hit it again, and it'll run.

I have a new battery and it sits on a tender all the time. It cranks strong, just takes awhile. Doesn't bother me - just one of the quirks :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Strider, thats good to know, it would appear that its a character trait then, and is that California your from, you have real nice weather helping those "cold" starts, Steve.

·
Registered
256 Posts
No bumpo starto with a slipper clutch, as they say in Italy, makes it a bit tricky, i take it that the battery was at fault, Steve.
Oddly the battery seems ok after it was jumped i.e taking a charge and holding it. Is a bosch battery too, so should be ok, but bike like them all is from 2003, so probably been sitting around til I bought it in 2007.
What worries me is that it started first time as normal and then after a ride conked out. Kind of lose faith, but tempted to try it out now it is fully optimated up, and rely on the AA:doh:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I used to bump my Triumph TT fine, but not as nimble as I once was, plus a bigger engine, unfriendly clutch and fear of damaging put paid to any notions of self help. Good point about the slipper clutch though, and for the very few rack days I do, compared to the compromise gear change including neutral, might be a good idea to get rid of it.....wheres my manual:ele: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts