Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mechanic and I have come to the final conclusion that the starter clutch needs replacing but because he is busy going back racing with his team cannot complete the job. So I tried to find other motorcycle shops but most of them shy away from a big job like that or you already can tell that you will never get your motorcycle back in one piece. I am looking for someone with experience who can tell me what the cost might be and how difficult the job really is. I am awaiting a estimate tomorrow morning from a shop in co. Meath Ireland so I will tell you what they are saying. Thanks a million. Sammy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Engine stays in the frame for that job.
There's nothing that complicated on these machines. Whoever you've been listening to, you need to stop listening to them. They have no idea.
Dear engenia can you point me in the direction where I can find out more about this job please how do I change the starter clutch on my TNT ? Thanks a million Sammy

·
6,093 Posts
I haven't done it myself, but others have. I've had my gearbox out but I don't remember what it looks like. It was a long time ago. The TNT 1130 WS Manual doesn't describe the procedure, but does have a couple of pictures of the starter clutch in place on the alternator drive shaft with the casing split. Pp 197, 198
As I understand it, there IS access to it with the gearbox removed. The breather box above it does not provide access, sadly.
It's currently being discussed here

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't done it myself, but others have. I've had my gearbox out but I don't remember what it looks like. It was a long time ago. The TNT 1130 WS Manual doesn't describe the procedure, but does have a couple of pictures of the starter clutch in place on the alternator drive shaft with the casing split. Pp 197, 198
As I understand it, there IS access to it with the gearbox removed. The breather box above it does not provide access, sadly.
It's currently being discussed here
Ok so with the gearbox removed there should be access.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK made a bit of progress this morning got the clutch off, alternator, starter motor and waterpump because it was very much in the way - next is the gearbox in 4th gear . Dont have too much time today but should get a chance tonight when kids are in bed.
Can you give me some tips for removing it and what about the drive chain ? Thanks Sammy

·
6,093 Posts
If you loosen the front sprocket nut, then remove the rear wheel, you should be able to coax the chain and sprocket off the drive shaft. That should give enough room to slide the gearbox out - through the chain loop. Failing that, you'll have to break the chain - at the joiner - and be prepared to find a new joiner for it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system

If you loosen the front sprocket nut, then remove the rear wheel, you should be able to coax the chain and sprocket off the drive shaft. That should give enough room to slide the gearbox out - through the chain loop. Failing that, you'll have to break the chain - at the joiner - and be prepared to find a new joiner for it.
Also is it a 36 mm socket I need i measured it and looks like 35 or 36 not sure.

Now thinking about it it might be easier to leave everything on sprocket and rear wheel and just break the chain and pull it out of the way, if the gear assembly will come out with the sprocket still attached ?! Yes or No ? Let me know what you think.

·
6,093 Posts
Also is it a 36 mm socket I need i measured it and looks like 35 or 36 not sure.
if the gear assembly will come out with the sprocket still attached ?! Yes or No ?
Yes.

If you break the chain, and its half worn out, you'll be using a new joiner to put it back together, creating a tight spot that you've got to take into account whenever you adjust the chain.
Just something else to think about .....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was able to open and remove the front sprocket. I have the all 8 bolts + the 3 bolts around the shift mechanism removed. Now how do I take out the gears, the cover seems to be glued to it ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It IS glued to it, with a silastic type sealant. There is no gasket.
It will come apart though, with a bit of leverage.
Yes I thought but what should I use to lever it and I am also afraid to break it there are a few points I have seen where I can put a lever on. There is a lip on the bottom and a gap on the top left and right. How did you do it ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts