Benelli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
5,928 Posts
Could be just a defective gear, but you should also look at the whole starter drive train.

Have you got the latest alternator drive shaft / Z25 gear?

Does it all spin freely, or are there tight spots? Pull out the plugs, and try spinning it all by hand, preferably from the starter drive. Haven't tried this myself, mind you, but it's where I'd be starting.

Once you replace everything that needs replacing, hook up an ammeter to the starter, and spin it over (without spark plugs) & see if the current changes as it rotates (it should be steady). If it does, you need to find out where the tight spots are.
Without a load, I'm guessing that the current drawn should be less than 50 Amps.

It's a curly one, but rest assured, there's a reason for it.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Harry sorry to see you have problems, firstly in my opinion the damage could have been caused by the "coughing / spitting" problem the early bikes suffered from, (the cough puts major strain on the starter gear) this can be fixed by new map airbox mod etc, etc.
changing the gear is not a major job and as Engenia mentions change the alternator shaft for safety, make sure you remove the sump and oil filter then clean all of the swarf out and flush clean.
The big worry is if the oil pump has been scored?... oil is pulled through the pump before it's filtered the oil pump is your engines heart so I strongly advise stripping the pump and check your ticker for damage.
good luck.

Terry

·
Registered
784 Posts
I saw a post once that stated how to check for the updated gears and shaft... Could someone point it out to everyone.

I wonder if my bike comes with the updated gears & shaft?

Sport TnT 2007

·
1,841 Posts
Yes it is visable with just the cover off. You can leave the oil in if you lean it over a bit, but be careful not to drop it.If worried drop the oil out. The new type will have the triangle line up marks as Errols pic. The gasket should be ok to reuse.

·
Registered
403 Posts
think it's sorted

can check my album, picture of the shaft with the double matched triangles. shouldnt have to replace the gasket if you dont bend or destroy it, use some of that permatex 3 gasket paste to seal it, it works fine:bow:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
still waiting for the parts - upgraded starter gears and the one-way clutch.
so far I only know that it took them 4 hrs to remove the gear box and the one-way clutch.:mad:

·
5,928 Posts
so far I only know that it took them 4 hrs to remove the gear box and the one-way clutch.:mad:
Must've been taking a lot of tea breaks!
It's a cassette gearbox, for Gods sake. You're supposed to be able to change them over between practise sessions! (Or even during them)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
finally got the bike back yesterday:ele: .
upgraded starter gears (both come from factory as a set), one way clutch bearing and upgraded starter installed. starts great, smooth and quietly, no bing-bang like before. reason for defect was most probably defective one way clutch. thanks to advice from Alex I took off the oil sump and cleaned the oil drip filter -some teeth and some debris found. just to rinse out the engine is not enough.
View attachment 1440
View attachment 1441

·
benelliclub.ru
260 Posts
finally got the bike back yesterday:ele: .
upgraded starter gears (both come from factory as a set), one way clutch bearing and upgraded starter installed. starts great, smooth and quietly, no bing-bang like before. reason for defect was most probably defective one way clutch. thanks to advice from Alex I took off the oil sump and cleaned the oil drip filter -some teeth and some debris found. just to rinse out the engine is not enough.
View attachment 1440
View attachment 1441
Hello Harry!

I guess the same problem occurred to me(( How did you remove the starter gear?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts