Benelli Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been out for a 20 mile tonite after adjusting my headlight, thats fine now BUT I now have coolant dripping from the left hand side it looks as if it has blown out of the overflow. The temperature guage went up to no more than 95 in traffic I did notice what I now know was steam at a junction. In over 30 years of bikes I never had one boil on me. Any thoughts guys? The bike was new in Nov 08 now just clocked 1000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Paul, it could be you've blown a core plug. The original ones that were fitted corroded through quite easily and they are now replaced with 16mm brass inserts which resists corrosion much better.

Have a look at this old post

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Laurence, all my coolant appeared to be coming from the rear of the bike in line with the coolant / rad cap area not the engine so I have my fingers crossed its not the core plugs, I know these are old stock bikes but I would like to think these faults would have been put right by now. Your link had dates in 2006. Fingers crossed.

·
T900 TRE is the plate!
434 Posts
You might have an airlock. Undo and remove the top-up cap, take the lower left panel off and gently squeeze the hoses from the waterpump. Look for air bubbles coming up and level dropping. Top up to maintain fluid if it drops. Look through sighthole and check you have at least 100ml of fluid in the overflow resevoir.

Dave

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Another is to check the seal on the expansion chamber cap

·
5,934 Posts
..now have coolant dripping from the left hand side it looks as if it has blown out of the overflow. The temperature guage went up to no more than 95 in traffic I did notice what I now know was steam at a junction.
My overflow ends on the RHS, but I guess if it lets go, some could end up on the left.

I don't believe you have a problem. The temp didn't go over 95C. If it did boil, the red LED would be flashing & "Temp" would be displayed. That'd be the ECU complaining.

This sort of thing happens when you put coolant in the expansion tank. It should be dry, when cold. If it's not, it'll probably blow it out when it's hot.

That said, just check that the radiator cap is sealing properly, in case it's decided to let out some pressure prematurely.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update 18/09/09

Removed all the rear body work last night there was no coolant in the expansion header tank, the breather pipe from this tank ends up just behind the cylinder block is that correct? I can now see the coolant had leaked from the rad cap, it was fitted correctly but it had leaked around the top.
It took 1 ltr of 50/50 mix to fill the system up again, taking everyone advice on getting any air locks out in the process. Ran up to temperature before putting the body work back on everything look ok I'm pleased to say. Checked coolant again when cool and topped up, I now have coolant in the expansion tank between min / max marks and no air in the system. Took the bike out temperature gauge came up to only 85 in normal ridding and raised to just over 90 when in very slow moving traffic in town, cooling fans working all ok. Returned home with out any trace of a problem.

·
5,934 Posts
Removed all the rear body work last night there was no coolant in the expansion header tank
When it's cold, there normally isn't. Most find that if there's coolant there when it's cold, it'll end up blowing it out at some stage.
the breather pipe from this tank ends up just behind the cylinder block is that correct?
Just behind #1
I can now see the coolant had leaked from the rad cap, it was fitted correctly but it had leaked around the top.
The first Tornados were fitted with caps that had undersized seals - 22 mm, rather than the 25 mm that it should be. Don't suppose you have one of them ?
'cos it shouldn't be leaking there.

·
3,085 Posts
errols right

early tornado's had 1.2 (i think) stamped on the rad cap, later ones which held a correct seal, were marked 1.4, if my memory is correct

clarification / comfirmation anyone??

·
Registered
184 Posts
early tornado's had 1.2 (i think) stamped on the rad cap, later ones which held a correct seal, were marked 1.4, if my memory is correct

clarification / comfirmation anyone??
My 2003 Tornado is stamped with 1.4 on the rad cap...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Update 18/09/09

Removed all the rear body work last night there was no coolant in the expansion header tank, the breather pipe from this tank ends up just behind the cylinder block is that correct? I can now see the coolant had leaked from the rad cap, it was fitted correctly but it had leaked around the top.
It took 1 ltr of 50/50 mix to fill the system up again, taking everyone advice on getting any air locks out in the process. Ran up to temperature before putting the body work back on everything look ok I'm pleased to say. Checked coolant again when cool and topped up, I now have coolant in the expansion tank between min / max marks and no air in the system. Took the bike out temperature gauge came up to only 85 in normal ridding and raised to just over 90 when in very slow moving traffic in town, cooling fans working all ok. Returned home with out any trace of a problem.
My breather pipe is just behind the block. when i had the leak it was from the core plug. if you search for the core thread you see its a common problem and an easy fix:clap: :clap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts