Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI - I'm still struggling to get the bike to turn-in and generaly be responsive. Me thinks it could be the steering damper over damping. Will try running without it and see if this imporves it - but has anyone found a replacement for the std Benelli unit that is adjustable so I can wind it off for the country roads and on again for track/autobahns?

·
1,841 Posts
Hi nfitz,on the subject of steering dampers this might be of interest, I rode a 1130 tre (Marcos) last week.(I have a RS), I immediatly noticed lighter and quicker steering with the 1130. Marco (I believe also noticed the oppersite on my RS). I got home and removed my damper and this made my bike feel similar to the 1130 (Which is basically is a RS chassis). My personal opinion is the RS adjustable damper is still quite stiff even on minimum. The Tornado is heavy on the front and therefore does not need damping(but the damper looks cool !). The biggest influence is the tyre fitted. Marco had the original dunlop 208s, I have continental road attacks(not as steep as the dunlops).If fitting a new damper I would suggest one that can be set very low,there are available some dampers ie the "Hyperpro RSC" that act as no damper until a "Tankslapper" occurs(difficult on a tornado?). I thought about one for my TL, but found that no damper makes it steer much better,(just dont panic when it shakes)!
If your seat height is ok you could try raising it a bit ?
colin.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
has anyone found a replacement for the std Benelli unit that is adjustable so I can wind it off for the country roads and on again for track/autobahns?
nfitz ..... If there's one thing you should know about this forum is not to ask if anyone can get anything ..... Laurence can get everything:rolling:

Just title your post ... Laurence, how much is? ... (insert appropriate part name her) and you'll soon have an answer;)

Al;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice - £300+ to get it turning in better means I'll have to start saving. - thanks Laurence.
Has anyone got a link for the correct RSC unit and a uk distributor?
Im running Bridgestone B16 - anyone found these a peoblem steering?
I struggle with the seat height now (short arse) and want to try softening it off ......
Anyone tried re valving or runing a thinner oil?

·
5,928 Posts
...The Tornado is heavy on the front and therefore does not need damping ....... until a "Tankslapper" occurs (difficult on a tornado?)
I beg to differ Colin :D I had mine start to shake powering out of a right hander on the Bonang last year. It got some air over a small bump, and because I was still cranked over, the wheel came back down in a slightly different direction to that of the rest of the bike, causing it to shake. The damper took care of it.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
It got some air over a small bump, and because I was still cranked over, the wheel came back down in a slightly different direction to that of the rest of the bike, causing it to shake. The damper took care of it.
A little 'brown' moment for you there Errol?;)

Al:D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the advice - £300+ to get it turning in better means I'll have to start saving. - thanks Laurence.
Has anyone got a link for the correct RSC unit and a uk distributor?
Im running Bridgestone B16 - anyone found these a peoblem steering?
I struggle with the seat height now (short arse) and want to try softening it off ......
Anyone tried re valving or runing a thinner oil?
I have B016s, but hardly worn them in yet. Hard to tell the difference in what I've done so far, but then I always thought the tre was very stable anyway through corners. I hope to get out next week and give it a whirl:ele: :ele: :ele:

·
5,928 Posts
A little 'brown' moment for you there Errol?;)
Al:D
Oh yes :eek:
Shouldn't really have been riding that day. A few corners later I left myself about an inch of tarmac to spare. :doh: Closest I've been to planting Nell in a bank. At that point, I accepted my limitations, and dropped the pace a little.:clap:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts