Benelli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
tornado tre 900
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all! my steering damper has decided to fail shooting the oil out of the seal! has this happened to anyone else & is it poss to buy the new seal? cheers
oh yeah & ive found cheap cool looking steering dampers on ebay & woundered if anyone has bought 1...what there like? 281085118091

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
If yours is just the normal damper (non adjustable) then I would drain all the oil and just leave it on the bike for show, I really dont believe that the damper does anything.

The problem with the cheaper ones on ebay that I have seen and used is they are poorly built, they weigh nothing and offer sub-standard performance in most cases.

alternativly im sure if you send it to somebody like sprint they will be able to service it for you or to a local race mechanic,

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
tornado tre 900
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes its the stock one,non adjust by extremetech. i would like one on the bike as ive had a couple of real nasty head shakes on my gixer & was lucky to stay on! ok well i will look to see if sprint can do somthing as i cant find anything for extremetech! cheers:D

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I think the point I am trying to make here is the damper is more cosmetic then actual damping, there is very little resistance on the standard damper, my sprint one on the minimum setting was stronger then the Benelli standard one.

Maybe one of the other guys that are a bit more experienced on here can comment on this but with a proper damper you notice it there and on the Nelli I cant notice it.....

Sprint were an example but I think any local race preration place should be able to service the damper, the seals are normally standard sizes as long as it is one that can be opened up, some cheap ebay ones are sealed and you cant open them, when they go you bin them.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Just replaced my steering damper on the tornado. Very surprised by the quality and fit
5054590B-4D3C-4B18-9FB3-F6DB29DD39EE.jpeg

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
hey all! my steering damper has decided to fail shooting the oil out of the seal! has this happened to anyone else & is it poss to buy the new seal? cheers
oh yeah & ive found cheap cool looking steering dampers on ebay & woundered if anyone has bought 1...what there like? 281085118091
Yeah, happened to me as I did a. Spirited launch.
Took it apart, cleaned and refitted it back together whist submerged in a bowl of oil. Didn't have any issues in the 2 remaining years I had it.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I would agree that the steering damper is largely cosmetic on the tornado. The Cafe racer is basically the same bike, incl forks etc, and does not shake its head, even on track, so doubt its really needed. Looks good though.

·
5,899 Posts
The oem damper on my Tornado definitely worked. I picked up the front wheel once while still leaned over. When it touched down it shook, just a little. The damper did it's job. The only problem with it, besides being poorly made, was that it was fixed. The damper on the RS, and of course the Matris unit above, is adjustable, so you get to tailor it for the job at hand.
Even a chopper will shake its head, if you pick up the front wheel, and put it down in a different direction to which the bike is moving, but you'll probably not notice it.
Nell's forks are dropped through to the third line, so she's a bit skittish. My old VF750 with it's 16" front wheel was diabolical. When it finally threw me down the road, I didn't ride it again. That's a bike that begs for a steering damper.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
At £350+ for a Matris steering damper I'd expect spectacular quality rather than be surprised by it!
This one I got from AliExpress, at a considerable lower price. 😉

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've put a damper of an RS onto my tre. The difference was rediculous. The standard damper did nothing , in my hand it resisted some pressure then just shot through . whereas, The damper off the rs was a smooth progression right through the stroke, and the adjustability of it also works and is noticeable.
Not that they often come up for sale but is probably a cheaper alternative to replacing the standard one with a ohlins or similar .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts