Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Back after a few weeks holiday, been for a ride today and find I have a crack in my steering damber, where it clamps to the handle bars.

Has any one else had this problem. Does anyone have a solution ?

Alternativily does anyone have one for sale, or an idea for an alternative.

Thanks
Dave

·
340 Posts
Had the same problem right from start (never abused, dropped or raced) on one of my LE's. Luckily enough it was changed under warranty.

What are you ready to pay for one? I might part with one reserve I got (this one is for standard TRE, not adjustable as the one for LE.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Photo of Problem

Hi Guys

sorry been away on the other bike for a few days (gosh I feel unfaithful - not)
I also have R1100S, which normally gets me home and takes lots of abuse. It is a really great road bike!!!

Added Photos. The damper is adjustable, it is an RS, so I would rather replace it with another adustable one given the chance.

·
5,934 Posts
Hi Dave.
Picture resolution isn't that flash.
Is it the knuckle that's split?
If so, I'd expect it to screw off the shaft. If it doesn't screw off (cast in place), break it off! Put a thread on the shaft & screw on a replacement.

·
AndrewT
41 Posts
I never believed that steering dampers worked

I never believed that steering dampers worked; but I do now.
Had a ride out this w/end and whilst overtaking at speed and moving back to
RHS of the road the front end went into a wobble, (I must have clipped a cats eye or something), a wobble that scared the s**t out of me. I was looking a the bars and thinking " I do want to die here."
I held the bars lightly not wanting to break and the bike slowly settled down.
This I believe was the daming foces provided by the steering damper, there was no rider input. Therefore:" I now believe that steering dampers work "
It may have saved me.
Another good point to note on how good these bikes are.

AndrewT

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
moving back to
RHS of the road !!!!
Do they drive on the right in Yorkshire ??:rolling:
:rolling: That's why PC Plods alway out harrassing bikers in Yorkshire... :rolling:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I never believed that steering dampers worked; but I do now.

AndrewT
I wouldn't trust the original damper supplied by Benelli, I had a spill due to it.

When I took delivery of my bike, I wanted see what the damper was like, so I turned it to full soft, wiggled the 'bars, then turned it full hard and did the same, and found the bars were locked. It wasn't just tight, but locked. So I proceeded to turn it back to full soft, but it was still locked....

I then thought it might be the steering lock, so I put the key in and turned it to the start position to be sure, the steering was still locked. I went back to the damper and turned it fully one way then the other, the 'bars were now fine. That should have raised alarm bells in my head but it didn't cos I wasn't riding it at the time.

A few months later, whist stopped at a set of lights I turned the damper full hard and back 4 or 5 clicks and took off .... :mad:

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
Replacement

Hi Guys,
anyone know what replacement damper I can use on a standard Tre 900.

Looking for something adjustable which doesn't need new mounts.

BTW: what's an RS damper cost in the UK?

Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Price for Damper

I have asked for the price for a damper for Bennets

Ready for this !!!!!!!!!!!!11

£399 Ouch

Start looking around for another !!

I will remove mine, when I get a chance - next week now and measure it and call an Ohlins distributor

It has got to be cheaper !!!!!

·
3,085 Posts
Yo

I believe Matris do one, have a look on the carpimoto site, also suuss out the one in the Benelli aftermarket cat as opposed to a direct RS replacement one, the Matris look swish. how about hyperpro?

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
Extreme Tech

Just put extremetech in google and found damper that looks the same as RS type, except for body bracket (could use existing ?) 198 euro. see link
http://www.redracingparts.com/en/english.htm#english/motorbikesmotorcycles/productsandcomponents/steeringdampers.php
look at aprilia one. ps My rs has this diamond shape knuckle,early red had the round ones.
Colin,

I visited the Red racing site prior to my post.

Do you think the existing bracket will take the current version of dampers?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts