Benelli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if the steering head tools were still available? The last post about them was made in 2013.

My 1130 TnT has the occasional front end shudder as I pull up to a stop under light braking so I thought it might be a good idea to check the bearings.

Mike

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Hi mike ,
The shuddering sounds like warped discs to me … I had exactly the same as you describe when I was braking slightly to a stop.

As for steering head tool are we talking about the centre nut on top of the triple clamp ? If so I use a 16mm Allen key socket .
hope this helps

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a small amount of play in the steering head so it either needs tightening up or new bearings. Either way I need a way of adjusting or removing the nut without damaging it which is why I asked about the tool.

·
5,967 Posts
If the steering head is the same as a Tornado, you can borrow mine if you like. I made them up years ago. Not pretty but they do the trick. PM me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I managed to remove the steering head with Errol's special tools - many thanks :).

I'm now looking at removing the bearing shells from the steering head. There's no lip on the shells so I might have to shrink them with a bit of weld. Unfortunately my antique stick welder is not suitable for a delicate job like this. With the lock down I can't get anyone over at the moment either which is a pain.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Alloy wheel

Does anyone have any suggestions on replacement bearings? Errol mentioned that he had the Pyramid Parts tapered replacement kit (BR36). It's a tapered bearing kit. Oddly enough I also have the same kit. I bought it a few years back too. I'll go with that if no one has any better ideas.
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Body jewelry Jewellery

The original bearings did have a significant notch in them when turned from the center position but it wasn't enough to effect the handling at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts