Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Haven't been posting for a while since I haven't really been riding all that much. After 10 months of purchasing my RS, I have finally put 1000km on it, and this morning I booked it in for a service. All was well until, after stopping at a set of lights, I took off only to find the steering had locked!

Needless to say, it came as a bit of a shock, and caught me completely off guard. The result is a broken mirror, broke break lever, damage steering damper mounting, and scratched fairings and exhaust. Strangly, after picking up the bike off the floor, I checked the steering and it was free.

Anyway, I managed to get my friend with a van to pick me up and drop the bike off at the shop. Will be interesting to find out if they can work out what happened. They are suggesting a problem with the steering lock... I'll have to wait and see, but will post again to let you know.

My only thought now is whether it's time to sell since I have had almost every problem that has been posted on this forum, and it's only been 1000kms....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jeez, never heard of that problem before buddy:eek Just how on earth did that manage to happen? Was the bike pointing in a straight position when this happened or did you have the bars turned?
That could have been very very nasty to say the least:eek:

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Al

I was stopped at the lights behind 2 or 3 cars, and the steering was straight, it wasn't until the first bend (which was 20mtrs or so after the intersection) that I realised I wasn't going anywhere but straight!

I am just glad it happened whilst I was doing nothing more than rolling speed otherwise, it could have been very nasty indeed!

Come to think of it, I did wiggled the 'bars slightly to see what was going on, and that's when I realised the bike wasn't going to let me go the way I wanted, by which time, I was completely leaning the wrong way and the bike fell. If the steering was locked both ways, I wouldn't have fallen as there wouldn't have been much leaning for the bike to have fallen. On the other hand if the steering damper was to only allow travel in one direction, as I wiggled the 'bars, I would have turned more and more in the one direction to the point it had to drop... which is more like what happened... ummm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you reckon that the steering damper might have been to fault? That sounds like more of a possibility although it does seem strange that something like this should happen.

You've heard of the Benelli curse I take it:lol

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats some pretty mental sh*t. Certainly nothing Ive ever heard of b4 and theres a few stories going about on this forum with our lovely Italian ladies.

I cant figure out what it would have been cos Ive ridden the Benelli and other bikes with the head steering done up too tight (by accident I can assure you). You get a horrible gyroscopic feel when riding and it feels as though you have to lean to get it to turn but its never completly locked and the steering damper I wouldnt have thought had the guts in it to stop the steering from moving altogether??

Any thoughts?

Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Dean

Well I haven't done anything to the bike since I bought it, so everything was as it were since it came out of the crate.

I have investigated further into what steering dampers can do and have had comfirmation from other riders that dampers can do what I have described, as in, travel freely one way but not the other.

I suppose all that needs to happen is slight blockage or failure to result in too much damping. If my spill was due to the damper, I would be thinking just how much trust are we putting on a few millilitres of fluid and an o-ring or 2?:lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about those few ounces of brake fluid and a few o-rings in the calipers? Same trust there :eek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about the couple of millimetres of rubber between you and fatherhood oh! Sorry I mean the road:lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's been one full week since the drop, but the shop that has my bike has yet to give me a quote for the repairs! If it's not the painter who hasn't showed up to give them a price, it's the prices for parts that hasn't been emailed back yet...but that doesn't bother me as much as the fact that they haven't began to look into what caused the fall...it's good that I'm not relying on the bike to get around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about those few ounces of brake fluid and a few o-rings in the calipers? Same trust there
You're absolutely right ducboyjr, I think we should add the steering damper to the service schedule:|

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
?!!!!

I really don't think the shop has had the bike for very long has it, I think maybe one working day?!

Was the steering locked, or did you have the adjustable damper set at full hard?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: ?!!!!

Hi Johnny O

I put the bike in a van and dropped it off at the shopp on the same day I dropped it, which was Sat 8th Of July, over a week now, and today, still no quote...

And regarding the steering damper, it wasn't on full hard, but I was hoping the guys at the shop could tell me more...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: ?!!!!

Hey Billy.

Have you had an update on what was wrong with your bike? I've been keeping my eye out for any reply about what was the cause of this but you've been really quiet lately buddy.
Any info would be greatly appreciated:smokin

Al;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts