Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience in trying the remove the upper steering stem nut that sits under the handlebars on the Leoncino. It is a 12 sided female socket and would appear to need a male double hex or 12 sided socket to remove it. I bought an M18 male socket but they are only 16.7mm whereas the socket appears to be around 18mm. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If it's the same as my 502C, the tool is called a Spline bit, Star-bit or Torx. I think the Tornado Tre has a similar socket on their rear suspension. Not sure about the size, although an M18 spline bit would be bigger than a normal hex-head. Not expensive tools, but don't fudge with the wrong sizes, that's an expensive nut and you don't want to shred it. Might try a ebaying a set of bits, like the picture.
Gas Auto part Electric blue Automotive tire Font

·
Registered
10 Posts
All knowledge appreciated Nedkelly, entirely possible it's an M20, as from the description I thought you had tried an M18 hex / allan key for size rather than an M18 Spline bit, so a M20 makes sense. Annoyingly the parts listing just calls it a "special nut" with no specs, and doesn't list the tool needed to remove it. Never been able to find a copy of the service manual and Haynes don't do a DIY book for Benellis. Perhaps go to a friendly Toolstation or hardware store and borrow an M20 before buying? Good luck on the hunt!

·
Registered
4 Posts
All knowledge appreciated Nedkelly, entirely possible it's an M20, as from the description I thought you had tried an M18 hex / allan key for size rather than an M18 Spline bit, so a M20 makes sense. Annoyingly the parts listing just calls it a "special nut" with no specs, and doesn't list the tool needed to remove it. Never been able to find a copy of the service manual and Haynes don't do a DIY book for Benellis. Perhaps go to a friendly Toolstation or hardware store and borrow an M20 before buying? Good luck on the hunt!

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks, yes it was an M18 spline bit, however they are only approx 16.5mm across the splines whereas the hole for the nut is 17.7mm. I had a T90 torx bit but was too big so Ive ordered a T80 to see if that fits, not 12 sided but may just fit, we will see!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts