Benelli Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. i took it out because i wanted a lower idle rpm. seems to work fine. on another note, when you got your best mpg, was it real hot weather?

·
1,841 Posts
The idle control valve opens to a point calculated by the ecu to maintain the set idle.When the engine is cold the ecu looks at 1 map that will richen the fuel /the colder the coolant, and another map that will increase the idle rpm/the colder the coolant.Also the idle control valve opens as the engine revs are increased.
Removing the idle control may cause poor running from cold and will richen the mixture at low throttle.
colin.

·
5,934 Posts
thanks. i took it out because i wanted a lower idle rpm. seems to work fine. on another note, when you got your best mpg, was it real hot weather?
If you want a lower idle, you need to set the butterflies so that they actually seal when they are closed. One can't be allowed to hold the others slightly open. Then you change the idle map.
My idle map is set to 1200, but it idles at 1500, I think, because the butterflies aren't set perfectly, or the air bypass screws are letting too much in. (Colin ?) The stepper is probably close to shut off at idle, & it shouldn't be.

I've had a couple of runs over 50mpg. The 54 was done in very cold conditions - it snowed for a bit & probably a tail wind :). Runs of around 47-52 were all done on very flat ground & constant speed - very few towns, if any. The 52 was in 35C though, Ouyen to Hay.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The idle control valve opens to a point calculated by the ecu to maintain the set idle.When the engine is cold the ecu looks at 1 map that will richen the fuel /the colder the coolant, and another map that will increase the idle rpm/the colder the coolant.Also the idle control valve opens as the engine revs are increased.
Removing the idle control may cause poor running from cold and will richen the mixture at low throttle.
colin.

small throttle = cruise at 70 to 80 mph

·
1,841 Posts
From my understanding,the benellis with walbro ecu are slightly different to the sagem fitted engines,the sagem engines in order to achieve the set idle(1200) need the throttle valves as shut as poss,then the correct stepper position of around 35(as manual) will occur.The walbro ecu engines are less reliant on the stepper (idle control valve) as the steps at idle are only at about 15 (from manual).This means there is more intake air through the valves at idle than a sagem fitted engine.The stepper still is there to raise the revs at cold start and to maintain the set idle under varying conditions.
As Errol said,if the idle is high the butterfly valves are prob open too far,bearing in mind, if the valves are closed more then the tps will need resetting.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yup it doesn't idle well cold but that's ok with me. it idles really nicely warm at about 1200.

my concern is that i've caused a rich mix at cruise and hurt the economy. i only get about 30 mpg. i will re-install the stepper

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, are we talking imperial gallons. that would make more sense and equate to about 40 mpg US gallons

·
5,934 Posts
My 54mpg is Imperial gallons.
5.2 litres/100km
19.2 km/litre
346 km from the tank (bone dry)

30 mpg is pretty hopeless, IMHO. My worst was 28 mpg - just before it lost compression due to a leaking exhaust valve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts