Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
whats one cost?, The RS has just done 5500 kays and apparently mines not working correctly for the cold start, apparently Benelli has an upgraded one with a metal "arm"/ "plunger" as opposed to the original plastic one. I'm assuming its a warranty item even though mines out of warranty by a few months, its done bugger all kays (first registered August 2005), so far including a new DEKA replacement battery to make the bike run correctly I'm up for over a $1000.00 in parts, this included, new shims as i got the Local agents to check at the 5000 kay mark rather than the factory specified 10,000 kay mark, also I ended up getting the new cam chain tensioner assembly from the 1130 Tornado as the original wasnt up to spec ( 5mm to short), now the stepper's not doing its job. Should the factory at least giving these things out at a cheaper rate? I mean the shop and their mechanic doing a REALLY thorough job to make sure its up and running, but these parts (stepper and can chain tensioner) are known problem area's?
Top marks to Bikers Corner here in Perth though, they have totally sussed out the bike and have done an awesome job on fettling the Nelli. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's the same part as fitted to the Triumph range, and a few years back I paid around £ 60 - 70 for a new one.

Or you could possibly get one from a breakers yard ?

·
5,934 Posts
Get Tuneboy to check it - just to be sure.

Did you have to pay for the spring?

Did you keep the left over shims? You can re-use them, provided they're not damaged.

Were they indented?

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no

I cant use tuneboy anymore due to works security protocol on it, still havent found a cheap 2nd hand one.
I collect the bike today.
the replacement cam chain tensioner assembly was $140.

·
150 Posts
What? They couldn't just give you the spring? That's madness!

$140 for a spring that's 4.5mm dia & 70mm long? Now I've heard everything.
I got new tensioner, spring and all the shims for free.

You should get at least spring and if the shims has intend (hammered) them too for free.

W: Pekka

BTW. I did my self valve adjust and cam-chain replacement.
Maybe it was the reason why I got them for free ?

W: Pekka

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update

just got home, all the shims were in tolerances, so thats good, and I'm getting an uprated alternator fitted and the replacement stepper as warranty items, with the faulty stepper not allowing the motor to go back to 1500rpm its harder to get nuetral, have to preselect before stopping, once the axone arrives and the alternator I'll take her back up.parts were less than expected:)
$2.76 tensioner gasket.
$160.45 tensioner assembly, I believe the unit sold as a whole.
$29.00 Oil filter
$90 clutch cover gasket.
DEKA ETX9 $160 ( there is a more powerful Yuasa available but there were none in australia.
$109 Silkolene Pro 4 Plus oil.
$60 Iridium Plugs.
$12 Brake fluid.
$30 assorted consumables.
the centre throttle body was oily, probably as a result of the steeper not working properly and the air filter was quite dirty, the ambient air temp sensor and o2 air box sensor were TOTALLY covered in crap.

All in all its what I expect to pay for parts, although Benelli should revise the clutch gasket $, seriously,
Good to hear the valves were all good, some bikes in NZ have done 40,000 kays and not needed adjustment !

I'm gonna take done a alternator Arnaud gave me from his TnT to see if that will do for a upgraded alternator as I believe the 06 TnT's units put out more power than the original 900 Tornado ones?
Shane the mech says I could do with a slightly stiffer rear spring, so I will contact Extremetech to found out if I can source one. Also we'll suss out the tip over switch as the mech ran out of time to do those bits, labour was a bit due to the valve inspection and gearbox inspection etc etc, buts its vastly improved and idles steady (if a little high). all in all in very happy and will be more so once she idles at the correct rpm with the new stepper.

Very interesting to hear from the dealers that the newer tnt's are apparently a lot quiteter than my tornado, I have read a little bit about how the factory has been working on this.

Nath's a happy chappy Yay :)

·
1,841 Posts
I think that is not the stepper, it is the manifold that the stepper motor connects to. I have seen this ebayer before and he did have the stepper motor for sale as well previously.:bawl:

·
1,841 Posts
was the dirty body like the one in this picture ?
http://www.benelliforum.com/gallery/...0128syncro0027
The reason I am showing this pic is because this is a pic of how my bike was when new !(when it ran crap) the brown stain is there because that valves were out of sync.
The measured vac was in fact correct,as the bypass screws were set to compensate.ie the dirty valve(which is open too far) had the bypass shut. The oppersite valve was shut, but with the bypass fully open ! The middle was in between.
When the valves are set correct the bypass screws will all be similar.
The dirty ring is now clean as a whistle on my eng.:ele:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Stepper Motor

Can I ask what are the symptoms of a duff stepper motor?

My RS runs very rich on start-up and possibly most of the time...:eek:

I have never even heard of a stepper motor and was about to have my bikes map investigated.

My RS has done 6500 miles.

Any advice welcome.

Regards
Stephen R

·
1,841 Posts
Rsmysoul, The stepper motor is a motor that can be controled in accurate steps of one rotation. The control is from the ecu. It is used to control the idle control valve. As the motor rotates in a certain amount of degrees it pushes out a rod with a plunger on the end, the plunger uncovers more or less of little ports that connect from the airbox to the inlet manifold below the butterfly valves. There is not much to go wrong,the electro magnetic coils could fail or the rod or shaft could seize/stick.
Page 306 in rs manual shows the fault code for it (po505) and how to test it.
Hope this might help.:)

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yep

mines had a dodgy idle, apparenlt the upgraded stepper have a metal pluger, the plastic one could have the plastic knob on the end crack off, its a warranty job , my bike is getting a new one to fix the idle, until they fit it (we have just awaiting a replacemnt uprated alternator to arrive so we can do it all at once,) the mech has upped the idle to 1500.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Stepper Motor

Colin/Aussie RS

Thanks to you both for the information - I feel better informed and will be checking my bikes idle.

Am I correct that your bikes 1500rpm idle speed is when warmed-up or from cold?

Because these bikes are relatively rare: I never seem to meet another owner
face to face - without this forum I'd be completely lost.

Thanks again.

Stephen R

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I believe

when its warm idle should be 1200rpm, when warming up and in gear with the clutch pulled in it should be 1500 to stop it from stalling, although it drops down from 1500 (depending on engine temp) when you click it into neutral.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts