Benelli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People..

6 months into ownership and My TRE is lodging at the local dealers, for only the second time mind so not moaning too much.

The problem....

For some reason after not running it for a week I opened the garage to be met with stifling petrol fumes..
I did the obvious, released the pressure from the tank and left it 24 hours.
The following day it was worse. There are no visible leaks so it has stumped me...

Any suggestions or similar issues please..

Stu

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sturead, how full was the tank when you had the problem, if I fill my tank up to full then leave the bike on its side stand for a while I have often seen a tiny puddle of fuel under the bike where the breather pipes are, also sometimes in hot weather you can get a siphoning affect from the tank breather if this was the case though you would see fuel stains on the floor................... also check the small breather pipe/s connected on the underside of the tank I had one come off and it let the fuel that escaped through the breather dump over the engine but didn't show on the floor. the Smell was really bad :x good luck.
terry

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Terry,

Cheers for that.. Tank was only quarter full..
There is no visible leak so its obviously not a major one. Smell when its had air about it is below the yoke but not really under the fairing as far as i can tell.
I initially suspected a breather pipe. Nothing really that apparent though.
Its in for a new exhaust anyway so they can now look at it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just want to bring this one back for for the forums perusal...

After the first week in the dealers, It seemed to stop the smelling.. But as I said to them, they have a big workshop for any fumes to disperse into, unlike my garage..

So a week later it was still stinking and I took it back to them, this time with the cover..They then told me it was smelling because I had put the cover on while the engine was still warm, therefore heating the fuel remaining in the tank which was in turn venting from the vents in the petrol cap. With the coer being on it was trapping the fumes...Utter bollox if you ask me. Anyway I took it home again, and stored it with no cover at all, Again it was stinking the place out..

I took it out the garage and gave it a start up.. all of a sudden a pool of fuel appeared underneath..

Back to the garage it is now, told them what happened and reluctantly they have agreed to take the fairing off to have a look..

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They then told me it was smelling because I had put the cover on while the engine was still warm, therefore heating the fuel remaining in the tank which was in turn venting from the vents in the petrol cap.
Yup, what a load of old tosh they told you there Stu:\ Let us all know how you get on mate;)

Al8)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Stu..just out of interest, which dealer came up with that gem?
Could start a nice little thread on "Dealers Tales" but i suppose there's a risk that they'll read them all and apply the extra week penalty clause whenever we have to go back.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey NJay..

Dealer was Motografix in Doncaster..

Maybe we should have a "Name and shame" thread on here..

Off to Dealer in a bit will update this one later..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Righto...

At last, the fairings came off and enabled them to have a closer look.

It appears that one of the seals on the fuel pump was weeping..

As we know Benelli do not do things by half, and therefore have a new fuel pump on order as the seal is integrated..

Hopefully we have got to the bottom of it now..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts