Benelli Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Righto boys.

Niques stoopid question of the day....when adjusting the chain, how do you ensure that it's aligned? There's no marks on the swinging arm or owt.

Don't tell me you have to wind it all the way in and then count the turns?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:hat
I use a steel ruler and measure the length of the adjuster and ensure that they are the same length.
I have never experienced and chain slapping on the swinging arm using this method.

Every six months (or sooner if the chain is really manky) I wash the chain down using parafin and a toothbrush to get it clean. I then dry the chain using strong tissue type paper (you buy it in large rolls), allow to dry and then spray PJ1 chail lube on it. It is a bit messy but easily cleaned off. I use WD40 to clean excess chain lube off of the wheel.

Hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YEah I regularly clean my chain with White spirit and toothbrush, then use a towel to wipe all the crap off.

Then I absolutelty drown it in WD40 the seal that in with using chain wax...thats way the WD40 is still there to keep bushes nice and lubed

Just wondered about wheel alignment s'all

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello again nick, If your wheels are in line then providing you turn each nut the same amount then the wheels should stay in line.
To check your wheels are in line,a good straight edge is req,
find something like a length of aluminum extrusion.then with the help of a mate hold the edge against the rear wheel about 4" up, line up the front wheel and measure from edge to tyre (both sides of tyre to edge at front and back of tyre must be the same) Now repeat on the other side and if they are different then the rear wheel is pointing to the side with the larger gap...
hope you get what I am trying to explain, it always seems to take me for ever to wrrite down what you could say in 2 secs!!:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a stupid question as your Benelli manual says take it to a dealer to adjust.
I measure the adjusters as mentioned, and sometimes check alignment as well.
Some people would recommend these methods even if the swing arm has markings as these are sometimes not accurate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Not so) Stoopid question - Chain adjustment

Even if there were marks on the swing-arm, I wouldn't trust them.
To align your wheels, have a look at Wrenching With Rob. He explains it really well. All you need is some heavy fishing line and a wooden dowel spacer.

Once set up, make sure you turn each adjustment bolt the same, and the alignment will stay correct.

If you're interested, let me know, and I'll post my setup method on my website.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

BoKs tip of the day - when you have managed to adjust and align your wheel, you could use a scribe to make a mark (scratch :eek my bike - never !) on the swingarm where the spacer blocks end. You then have a set reference point to measure against next time when you make minor adjustments.

Works for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The reason for the question is that, I beleived I had matched turn for turn from 'all in', but went for a ride and noticed by the end of the street that rear wasn't in straight

Felt nervous and extremely twitchy on turning

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

To check your wheels are in line,a good straight edge is req,
Just something in last weeks MCN under "Your top biking tips"

It reads......

"" one of those £4 laser pens that kids and clubbers use, guarantees a straight edge when your checking your wheel alignment ""

Its an option ( I think ) :\

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Big box
Little box
fishy fishy fishy

Yeah man m'wheel is bangin' man

Heh heh ehh

Good idea tho

1 - 10 of 10 Posts