Benelli Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The alternator crossed my mind, if I took the alternator off would the bike fire up to check? I know that current it's charging the battery though as I checked that today

Registered
The alternator crossed my mind, if I took the alternator off would the bike fire up to check? I know that current it's charging the battery though as I checked that today
Easier, get a long handled screw driver, place it to your ear and touch in on the alternator, in fact go over the engine to locate the noise source.
You do not need to ask who has got a spare complete alternator !

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Loli know has one but I'm stumped now!

Stripped everything out again, refitted z25 which fits nicely.
Not the alternator as I took that out and test fired noise still there.
I'm going down the clutch line but I've rebulit as per manual!
Sprag clutch?!?!!!

Help!

Registered
Oil pump I think. The noise sounds like a bearing or something rubbing. if some debris has got into the sprag clutch it could make a noise and try and spin the starter I suppose.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
OK not clutch, took that out and ran it and still making noise!! Grrrrrr!!!! I am running out of ideas! Z25? Although ive refitted and triple checked! Nut is tight, no grinding noises when I turn it either way so..... Doing my head in now! Must be something logical!!!

Registered
if the clutch is off how do you start the bike? If it just the clutch centre then it will still run crank cams etc, the z25 alternator and sprag but nothing else. Have you tried turning z25 by hand should be more resistance one way as starter and alternator will turn one way and just alternator the other.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
OK so ran with no clutch plates and housing, yup can turn the z25 both ways and yes more resistance one way than the other and I can't hear any grinding noises at all so I'm stumped!

Registered
It鈥檚 a puzzle. There are 2 spacer washers on the clutch shaft are they definitely the correct way around? Is there any signs of the oil pump, primary gear and z25 gears being out of line or interfering?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Yep, the spacer closer to the engine is with the raised profile facing the engine and the outer one is facing outwards, everything buttons up fine as best to my knowledge. Primary gear seems a little close but nothing that concerns me, I think I will have to wait until the summer hols from school, drop the gearbox out and go from there. My fear/thought is that it didn't make the noise at the side of the road and it's only happened since repairing so I'm thinking I'm the culprit!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts