Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks
My 09 Tre-K has a strange fault? in normal riding it ticks over fine (1250rpm) but in rain the tick over starts to rise until its ticking over at 2000 rpm or more ! but if I turn the bike off and the restart it is reset back to 1250rpm. Today I got caught in a heavy downpour in the UK lake district and I had to stop every 10 miles and restart the engine. Is this just a Benelli quirk or can it be sorted.
regards JonD

·
Bristol Member
102 Posts
I'm dont think this is necessarily a rain related problem, but I'm sure the engine management raises the revs to 2000rpm when the fans kick in at idle.
This is to protect the battery. Mine does this all the time when riding in heavy traffic or in the city.
The other thing that happens is the head lights dim to side lights at idle when the fans kick in. This has been discussed elsewhere. Benelli quirks!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm dont think this is necessarily a rain related problem, but I'm sure the engine management raises the revs to 2000rpm when the fans kick in at idle.
This is to protect the battery. Mine does this all the time when riding in heavy traffic or in the city.
The other thing that happens is the head lights dim to side lights at idle when the fans kick in. This has been discussed elsewhere. Benelli quirks!!
Ditto just a quirk of the ever quirky benelli :ele:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stange tick over

Thanks Xeno and Glenn47
But your replies pose the problem that if as planned I ride to north Italy this summer via the Alps will my fans be running most of the time so giving a constant high tick over?????
PS yesterday in Cumbria the temp as only 7c to 10c max and the temp gauge never went past the two bar normal on the temp gauge (2000rpm)
regards and thanks JonD

·
5,934 Posts
Hi Folks
My 09 Tre-K has a strange fault? in normal riding it ticks over fine (1250rpm) but in rain the tick over starts to rise until its ticking over at 2000 rpm or more ! but if I turn the bike off and the restart it is reset back to 1250rpm. Today I got caught in a heavy downpour in the UK lake district and I had to stop every 10 miles and restart the engine. Is this just a Benelli quirk or can it be sorted.
regards JonD
Just a thought - probably barking up the wrong tree - but if the ECU thinks the engine is getting colder, it WILL raise the idle revs. Think of what happens at startup from cold - but in reverse.
If water is getting into the engine temp sensing circuit, it might be causing the ECU to sense an incorrect temperature. Of course, the ECU would also be driving the temp gauge down, so that would be the give-away.
(Can't explain why restarting the engine corrects it)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have to say that having ridden in all conditions down as low as -5 and upto 30c the same thing happens in all conditions mostly when at tick over air temp seems to make no difference.

I would suggest you watch out that if it does get hot in stop start riding watch out for your starter motor getting tight. Its happened to mine and required a replacement SM. Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts