Benelli Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strider was looking at your album. I see you have got the Le on the track.
Care to give your opinions on how it rides and handles.

Paul

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, unfortunately I only had 125 miles on the clock when I went to the track so I was stuck below 5k rpm. Towards the end of the day I was sneaking up to 6,500 or so in short bursts but still kept it mellow. So I can't talk too much about the motor. Pulls well from 3,000 until I have to turn off the fun.

However the handling is divine. Haven't ridden a standard Tre but compared to my track-prepped (Ohlins, Attack triples, mag wheels, full brembo, etc) 2000 Gixxer-750 it felt light as a feather. Direction changes were almost telepathic.

One thing that will take some time to get used to is that the seat height is much taller than my Gixxer. I found myself taking corners at my usual lean angles but not scraping my knee. Which is good from a performance standpoint but it's much harder to look like a hero in the pictures with your knee on the ground ;)

Looking at pictures of the bike I was always a little worried about the shape of the tank but I found it really helps lock your leg in when hanging off.

The stock footpegs are slicker than snot. I cut some skateboard grip-tape to size and wrapped that around the flat part of the peg. Worked very well but need to do the ball-end part as well - had my foot slip off at one point.

I did have a problem sliding forward under braking. On my Gixxer I have snowboard stomp pads on the side of the tank to allow me to grip the tank better. But with the Benelli it seems like my legs are partly on the upper fairing and partly on the tank so I'm not sure yet if the stomp pads are a good idea and where best to put them. With the stories of weak paint on the Tornados I'm worried about ripping the paint off if I never need to remove them.

Finally the transmission was a little notchy but it does only have a couple hundred miles on it. Give it some time to break in before I render judgement.

·
5,934 Posts
.. With the stories of weak paint on the Tornados I'm worried about ripping the paint off if I never need to remove them.
The LE panels are carbon fibre, aren't they? The paint should stick just fine to that.
[The Tornado uses ABS for the top panels, and polypropylene (or something similar) for the bottom. Paint sticks fairly well to the ABS, if prepared properly, but polypropylene is difficult to get anything to stick to it - which is the main problem, as I understand it.]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts