Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you find the front forks on the tnt, they are "bottoming" out on my bike i need more pre-load but there's no adjustment anywhere. Cannot believe that benelli put on best quality forks then scrimp on fitting adjustment (pre-load,rebound & compression) wonder if putting thicker fork oil in would help?
vtxbrit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think they got them from Marzocchi as is. I know the same forks are used on the new Moto Morini Corsaro except on that bike they are fully adjustable. Might be possible to swap the tops of the fork tubes ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While we're on the subject, does anyone know of a replacement for rear shock? I'm 15 stone and find it a bit soft on bumpy roads. I was thinking of something from Maxton but they are a bit expensive. Nobody makes anything for Benellis....not even Benelli!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im pleased with the suspension on mine but im only 10.5 stone, its the bad feuling at low revs that is doing my head in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know, crap isn't it? It gets worse - Just read in MCN Benelli have stopped production and sent everyone home. They are now looking for a new buyer. Lovely bike which will remain exclusive but what are we supposed to do about parts, make our own?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi, I’m 16 stone (6'-2") I have wound down the pre load on the back by 12mm and moved the rebound (gold knob) in by 3 clicks not perfect but does reduce the "wallowing" on uneven corners, am talking to marzocchi they tell me it is important that the oil level is 110mm (from top of fork tube to oil) also they make 3 spring ratings the tnt has no1 which is the stiffest it also has 7 weight oil as standard. Tuesday I removed the top fork caps (had to make a tool) and checked the oil levels both required filling the left one 3 times as much as the right it is definitely better but marzocchi suggested putting 10 or 15 weight oil (or a mix of both) in, which would improve compression and rebound damping as for pre load this means making a stepped collar and fitting inside the leg say 15mm long. marzocchi uk were very helpful and mentioned that a conversion kit was being considered 10k bike and no adjustment on the forks unbelievable ................finally my engine sounds very noisy (clattering) what about yours?
vtxbrit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Useful stuff to know, thanks! Yes my engine is a bit noisy too but apparently "they all do that". My Speed Triple made the same noise so I just put it down to the characteristics of running a triple. I did have the valve clearences done at 600 miles though and apparently 3 needed doing.

Did Marzocchi say anything about swapping the fork tops for some adjustable ones or are they incompatible ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My engine is noisey as well, as Paul says my speed triple was the same, so i dont think its anything to worry about
Bye the way anyone going to moto GP at Donnington?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I asked the same question, marzocchi explained to me that the adjustable model have a long tube attached to the cap with the compression damping valve fitted on the top (as seen on most bike forks) the tnt forks have a solid bar with a thread connected to the top cap. so to upgrade, the cap, rod and inner sleeve would need replacing this would still not take care of the rebound damping as there is no valve fitted to the bottom of the fork leg (although you can see the casting has provision for it) but I am still talking to marzocchi and possibly k-tech suspension to find the most cost effective way to improve the front end……I wonder how the legal perspective would be as I see it I don’t think there is anything in the brochures, website or manuals stating max weight of rider but forks that bottom out creating instability with a 16 stone rider could be deemed as a manufacturing defect ?
With the recent report in the mcn about the factory laying off all staff I am pushing my dealer for results. I have to say that every time I ride my TNT every problem is forgotten, any other bike giving me this much grief would have been back in the dealer’s showroom 3 months ago. So benelli you have a winner here get your act together.
Keep you posted vtxbrit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hear hear! Mine makes me giggle like a fool every time I ride it, I just hope it keeps going while the factory find another buyer. Fingers crossed!

Keep us posted about the suspension.

Cheers. Paul.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TNT owners

We've got 9 TNT owners running around Oz so far, we've only 6 new bikes left in stock so I hope the factory fires back up soon so we can get more stock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: TNT owners

Apparently they've sold loads of TNTs but I can only assume the owners don't know this forum exists. It's not exactly easy to find is it?! It would be good if there was a way to promote it and get other owners to contribute.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
latest on warranty

I am going to give my dealer (red dog) the link to this site and ask him to offer it to all of his benelli customers as i'm sure there in regular contact with him. the factory have agreed to replace my faulty swinging arm and are allegedly sending by return, red dog tell me that a temporary warranty/spares department has been set up at the factory, lets hope this is true.
Re factory shutting, long term I think this is the best thing that could have happened to benelli, whoever buys benelli must run it with far more commitment than the previous owner.
Safe riding, vtxbrit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: latest on warranty

I hope so too. I was riding home from work last night and the engine management light came on and stayed on. After turning it off for a couple of minutes and restarting it went out. I've always used my bikes for commuting/fun and do about 10,000 miles a year on them. I've done 1400 miles on mine in the past month and it's been nothing but trouble with the flat battery/hot starting/jerky fuel injection etc. I cannot afford to lose money trading it in - I just want it fixed!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

my electronic friend (his job not him) is working on the hot start problem on my tnt he has found that the battery is under rated and has high internal resistance (which means cheap), I am looking into availability and cost of a better battery. also the alternator (battery charger) on the bike is very small this means every time you start the bike the charge recovery rate is very slow, so if you start the bike say 5 times in a day the distance you would need to cover to recharge the battery would be ridiculous. I put my battery on charge every night using a compensator charger it only takes 1 min to connect up and has made a difference, my brother builds car racing engines developing over 1000 bhp he has experienced similar hot start problems with these engines they call it “vapour locking” and is a result of the combination of cam profile, compression and ignition timing they get round the problem by fitting valve decompressors. My Honda vtx (1800cc v twin) has a valve lifter built in to prevent this problem. at the moment I’m talking with him to see if there is a cost effective solution to the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Surely it's just a case then of sourcing a better/bigger battery from the local dealer? Do you know if there is tune which will fix the jerky throttle ? I know there are several about but I've also heard some of them can cause it to stall at traffic lights. Do you know which is the best one to have?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

It's finally happened. benelli is closed. It was just a matter of time. The sad thing is. It didn't have to. I predicted this a long time ago.

Anyway what has happened cannot be changed. More importantly, Is there a future for Benelli? YES.
What can be learned from the mistakes of the past ?

Benelli needs a good management structure. Something that has been lacking since the company was formed back in 1995.
Dedicated Support to the importers and dealers is paramount. Providing a high quality and reliable product to consumer.
Do not use the consumer as a guinea pig to test the product.

The product requires a series of updates and modifications.

TNT
Front forks, more adjustability
Rear shock, replace
ECU, replace
Electrical, upgrade

Tornado

Engine 1000cc
ECU, replace
Rear shock, replace
Instruments, rectify problems
Radiator, reposition
Fans, trash
Air ducts, trash
Exhaust, under seat

These are just a few of the modifications required to the model range. Ongoing research developement and testing are mandatory, if the company is serious and wants to succeed.
The cost of implementing these updates are negligable.

I sent an email to Vittorio Merloni offering him a sound plan to revive the company. Unfortunately I did not recieve any reply.
Benelli had the potential to sell 5.000 bikes a year
worldwide.

The company will not realize it's asking price. especially with Benelli's history and reputation. No one in todays economic climate, is interested in paying millions for a bankcrupt motorcycle company.

Andrew Wright.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Andrew

Andrew, you are entitled to your point of veiw as anyone else here; once you have created a couple of motorcycle models that have sold as many as Benelli have sold, then I might take your criticisms seririously :lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts