Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice time again guys, gonna fit some real nice new iridium plugs to the TRE, the tank has to come off according to the manual.
The question is how does the pipe removal tool actually work, I presuming as you lift the tank up, you then press the circle part into the coupling to release the pipe, then push the plunger in to replace pipe when it comes out, does this mean fuel will pour out during that swop over and any advice on how hard this is, Ive read previous posts on the tabs breaking and read Errols bible site, if the tabs break is that a major disaster, cheers Steve.

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,415 Posts
You're a brave man steve!!! i leave that sort of stuff to the 'spanner magicians':bow:

brake pads and the chain is as far as i'll go:doh:

·
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,415 Posts
oh yeah, if you're succesful can you do mine!!!!!?:D :rolling:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
You've pretty much answered your own question Stevie. I always get a large old towel and fold it over the top yoke to stop it from being marked as you are moving the tank about. It's the kind of job you could do with an extra pair of hands to hold up the tank as you disconnect the supply cable, over spill hoses and the fuel line.

Have a look here for some more info.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Laurence for the wise and sage like advise. I will have the capable hands of my brother helping, he's an engineer and pretty good with the spanners.
Fred, it will be a dodle I'm sure, used to be a mechanic in my previous life.
Of course I will do yours for you, just let me do mine first, to be sure, as they say in our neighbouring island.
Always fixing bikes for guys at work, its turned into a bit of a hobby, even restored a few as well, Steve.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just for clarity, before i do it, as Ive yet to see the coupling in the flesh so to speak,
If the tags break off, are they for removal of the pipe or the retaining, I'm presuming they are for removal and if they break off you can still refit the pipe but cannot get it off again, is that correct?

If not the I will go straight for a coupler from H Gericke and not bother trying to get it out of the pump.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cancel the last question, Ive read Errols post on one of the other threads wich clearly states, his broke off and he still used it, Steve.

·
5,928 Posts
Cancel the last question, Ive read Errols post on one of the other threads wich clearly states, his broke off and he still used it, Steve.
For quite a while too.
I made up a tool from an old pair of long nose pliers that would disengage it.
I'm still using the broken connector, but have since installed an in-line disconnector, which is how Benelli should have done it in the first place. You'll understand why soon ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
tank

i have taken mine off a few times when i went trough a miss fire stage had no problems with the supply pipe removing it in fact the first time i did't relise what the black plug was for in the tool bag but i will tell you with the spark plug tool in the bag is impossable to get on the plug closest to the clutch lever i had to bend mine with a hammer:doh: then the next time i borrowed the tools of my mate:clap: . have fun mate i did allways have ago yourself if it breaks then take it to the garage :rolling:

·
Registered
885 Posts
I didnt get the tool kit either, and upon reading earlier posts re fuel line I bought a quick release fuel line coupler, I gave it to Russ to fit whilst servicing my bike and when he switched on after fitting it it sprayed fuel everywhere so had to remove it and fit a new fuel line! reckons that there is a LOT of pressure and coupling couldnt stand it, so if your going down that road make sure you have a tried and tested one recomended by .another forum member before you turn your beloved into a fireball

·
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,415 Posts
how did you get on? do the iridium plugs make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fred, not done it yet, kids etc got in way, will be doing it next Sunday, you'll be the first to know and I will do yours if required, I can get the iridium plugs for 5.20 each, bargain eh, they really made a difference on my TZR, Steve.

·
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,415 Posts
You're on;)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I didnt get the tool kit either, and upon reading earlier posts re fuel line I bought a quick release fuel line coupler, I gave it to Russ to fit whilst servicing my bike and when he switched on after fitting it it sprayed fuel everywhere so had to remove it and fit a new fuel line! reckons that there is a LOT of pressure and coupling couldnt stand it, so if your going down that road make sure you have a tried and tested one recomended by .another forum member before you turn your beloved into a fireball
I'm quite surprised to see there was a problem with the coupler, Kiddy. This subject has been covered in previous threads. Some have fitted 6mm and some 8mm couplers. The 6mm is a very tight fit, and the 8mm is really too tight, and very difficult to fit, although Errol managed it!:clap:
The 6mm does not restrict fuel flow in any way, so there shouldn't be any problems. Several members have fitted them, and. long term, they are still a good idea.

I got mine from MandP, £19.99.

Cheers:D

Ian

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
I used the 6mm size and I never had any problems with mine

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys, if you want them, Heine Gericke do the 6mm couplings for £15.99. If you dont have a store close to you, let me know and I will get for you and post on, You'll have to pay mind, they aint free, Steve.

·
5,928 Posts
..after fitting it it sprayed fuel everywhere so had to remove it and fit a new fuel line! reckons that there is a LOT of pressure and coupling couldnt stand it..
I made up an extension fuel line so that I could run the engine with the tank some distance away. I couldn't get the couplers in time so I made some ..... which leaked a little as the pressure came up.
Never had a problem with the bought one's though.
(Pressure is not that high - about 50 psi)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Plugs

Hi Steve, Would you mind telling me the model/no etc of the Iridium plugs as I'm about to fit my DNA filter so will do plugs aswell. Thanks. PS. While you're doing the plugs you may consider sealing up your centre stick coil to avoid problems later. See previous posts on this mod. Cheers David

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
David,
The NGK part number is CR9EIX, see website, http://www.ngkpartfinder.co.uk for confirmation details. I will seal my centre coil, thanks for the advice.

DBMG,
Id say looking at the pictures that those would unsuitable, as they are for braided armoured hose and screw in adapters, not in line fitment, which its whats needed, look at the Heine Gericke ones, on their website or catalogue part number 31161130001 they are as used by Errol so they must work, Steve

1 - 20 of 33 Posts