Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

I've been looking at this site for a couple of weeks now and have decided to take the plunge at owning a Tornado.:eek

At £5,999 brand new from 3x I think I'm onto a bargain (only time will tell!) Anyway, what modifications or warranty issues do I need to make sure that they've done before I pick it up?

Once I've got it (it's still in a crate) I'll post up some pics and hopefully meet some of you for a ride out or two !

Cheers, Ian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well done

search this site and you will fine it, I cant remember which posting its under. I think its clutch springs, radiator cap and mapping, and maybe have the instrument wiring capacitor put in so you dont lose the power to them on startup, although their may be a warranty issue with this mod. Oh and contribute to this forum:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome

welcome bluesky,
Would be good to meet, are you in the wilts, hampshire area, i am meeting up with mike the mitch today, and am already well aquianted with another RS owner Jamie. I think the sight and sound of a group of benelli tornado's would be something to see!Maybe we should try to arrange a mass meet somewhere, maybe a trackday? Just out of interest, have you got roadside assistance with your new bike?
Regards Keith.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Track day

I'm at Donington next week on Tuesday if you are interested :) See earlier post for details.

Also in "Southern end of the M3" area if you are planning to meet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Track day

I saw you were doing Donington. In fact some friends of mine are going (from the Nodding Dogs web site). I can't wait to pick the bike up but I don't think I'll risk a track day on it just yet ! Quoted £399 inc vat for the first service at On Yer Bike.:eek

But luckily I'd seen on here that it was likely to be a big one.:\

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Keith

There was no road side assistance cover either for Europe or UK from 3X. Apparently, there was Europe assistance on the first ones to come out and then UK only and now none at all !

Obviously, the level of cover decreased the more it was used:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
trackday meet

BOK,
Can't do donnington as i am in Spain then, but when we have got a few more owners from area onboard will try and arrange something central in this area, will let you know, if you just fancy a meet sometime give me a ring on 0796830297.

Regards Keith.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Taking the plunge

Bluesky

I think at £5999 you are getting an excellent deal (especially when you take into account that the std Tre was listed at £12,000 in Spring 04)!

However I would say, be prepared for "issues". No problem if you can put up with unreliability and the occasional hassle.

I parted company with my Tre last Sept, and changed to an RSVR. 2500 miles later, my biggest problem is a sticker peeling off on the underside of the fairing.............very different from my experiences on the Tre. The Tre was a unique motorcycle, fabulous looks and sound.......but I had a 'love-hate' relationship with mine due to it's temperamental nature

Been a long time since I visited this site............ hi everyone......especially BOK! Good to see that a few are " keeping the faith"

Cheers

Sonic (John Butcher).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Taking the plunge

Sonic

I get what you're saying. I'm prepared for minor hiccups and the occassional stranded by the side of the road experience(hell, My TLR even did that to me !) but if it starts happening every week then it will go the same way as yours ! tbh, the price was the deciding factor, I could have had an 04 Gixer 1000 but what's the point? I'm not a good enough rider to use all that power on the road and I wouldn't risk a 6K bike on the track where I could use the power (a VFR400 is a different matter though:D )

Picking it up next week, and when I've got it I'll be shouting for rideouts.

Btw -1st service at 400 miles - any opinions on the best place to take it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bluesky I would recommend DMA Racing or Red Dog Motorcycles. Both dealers know lots about the Tornado and Red Dog actually race one... :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bluesky, Have you picked up your spanking new bike today...? :D If so are you pleased with it....?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike..

Wow ! Picked the bike up yesterday and did 230 miles on it. What a fantastic bike. I'd never ridden one before so I set off on it with an open mind. Love the sound - even only up to 5000 revs, went to Cassington bike meet last night and saw only one other TRE (out of probably 4000 bikes).

So far probs: Oil light on start up, panic...but since found out it's "normal", temp. gauge running hot even when doing 60mph along dual carriageway...ummm?? When engaging the clutch with the lever I get a sort of clunk with the action (doesn't occur with clutchless upshifts...maybe the cable is dragging somewhere?

It's a tall bike ! I'm over 6ft and it's tippy toes. The seat is a plank of wood (sorry arse !) and the clutch is heavy on the hand. Brakes are awesome even though they've hardly bedded in and the suspension is rock hard. The screen, although short doesn't seem to bad actually.

Sorry to go on. Still smiling from ear to ear.:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cassington

Hey, Bluesky,
I think the other one was me! Parked on the roadside just opposite the Baines racing tent. Good meeting wasn't it?
Mines now on about 650 miles and is getting smoother all the time - agree with your comment re the seat - first day's ownership was 200 miles - glad when I got there! I'm under 6 feet and have no trouble with height - maybe having a KTM too has something to do with that!

We're much more exclusive than those dreadfully common MV's don't you think?

Cheers
Neil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Cassington

@#%$. You see another Tornado and you miss the owner !

Generally speaking, I can only get out:eek on Wednesday evenings for ride outs. Do you live in Oxon somewhere? I'm in Northampton. Maybe we could meet up with the other guys, somewhere central before the summer's out?

Ian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
meet?

Yes, shame that..
I'm based in Bristol, opposite direction.
I'm new to Benelli ownership too, and a couple of the guys from Wiltshire are trying to arrange to meet up in the next couple of weeks or so.
We were talking about Avebury, which is a regular Wednesday biker's meet, but that'd be a bit of a trek for you I think.
I'll keep you informed anyhow....or maybe some of the others on here have some suggestions?
First service for me tomorrow, see how much metal they pour out with the oil!
Cheers
Neil

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: meet?

Where are you getting the service done? I've booked mine in at DMA Racing in Brinkworth but at £450 it seems a little steep.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Service

Back to 3Cross for me - booked it in when I picked the bike up - doesn't take long to do 600 miles on a new toy in weather liek this. they quoted around £300.

This will be the first time EVER (in 27 years) I've paid somebody else to work on my bikes - the curse of manufacturer warranty schemes. Will I ever live this down?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Service

Let me know how you get on at 3X. Are they giving you a courtesy bike or are you leaving the Tornado with them for the day? Are you having any warranty work done or have you not had any problems?

Questions over:eek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Service

Neil,
I would be interested to know how much your service actually costs. When I asked they told me it would be about £600....!!!! hence why I have recommended DMA and Red Dog as they are cheaper and better.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts