Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, not being the most mechanically minded person who rides bikes (actually I know @#%$ about them!) Am I right in saying that the speedo pick up is the extra grey cable that runs along the swing arm to the rear wheel?

If this is the case, if i want to alter the gearing by the easiest method (going up a few on the rear sprocket), will this affect the accuracy of the speed reading?

Surely not, as the wheel will still be travelling the same distance per revolution (unless i light the rear up!)

If this is the case, who knows how many I can go up on the back without being silly (I have normally gone up three teeth on rear sprockets on previous bikes) and if this is possible, where is the best place to buy them?

Cheers,

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TT, the only change you can make that will affect the speedo reading is to the rear tyre. Reducing it's circumference, it'll have to rotate more times for the same distance, and the speedo will get more pulses, so will display a higher speed.

I'm running a 15 tooth at the front & 43 at the rear. At 110kph, the engine is doing about 5,000 rpm. This has increased the fuel consumption slightly, but keeps the revs above the "rough patch".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I thought so, maybe I should go with my insticts more!

Looks like I could be altering the gear ratios then! Just the rear mind, as I am a biff when it comes to mechanics, tried doing the chain and sprockets myself years ago on my first 'big' bike and ended up with no 1st gear!

Well to be honest, it was still there, I just did something that stopped it being able to select 1st!

That's what the mechanics are for anyway!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you change the rear to something bigger, the rear axle will have to be closer to the front - the chain remains the same length (112 rollers?). You'll probably find that you have to shorten the adjuster lock nut, so that a new chain will fit.

For my 15/43 combination, I had to remove 4.5mm from the barrel of the adjuster lock nut. My locknuts ended up at 28mm long.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, next question... what size and pitch chain does this bike haveand how many teeth does a standard one have?

Thinking of going for a light weight AFAM sprocket, as used by most of the racing fraternity.

Cheers,

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The chain is a 525 (standard) but you can go to a 520 to save a bit of weight but I wouldn't recommend this though if it's just for road use.

Al:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts