Benelli Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw this in the photo gallery (some very nice TNTs I must say tho...)

I couldn't help but wonder.... why??? why did the engineers at Benelli put the drive on the right side and the kick start on the left??? Have they frigging tried to kick start a dirt bike with their left leg???? And while KTM have e-start fitted on their '07 MX bikes (with only 6 pounds of added weight) this little brain fart from Benelli just seemed so backwards in development... pffff..... AND, I want to know how much this thing weights... and maybe I don't need to know...

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Toby,

I have no idea, but having googled for 10 minutes i could only find one other bike, and that was a classic that had a left handed kickstart... maybe the photo was 'flipped'!

Andy

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
tobichi, the answers simple the Italians only have little legs so they need a friend to kickstart for them whilst they balance on there right leg :spank:
(only kidding signors) mind you now the chinese have taken benelli over it will suit them as well (only kidding tobichi)

·
Super Moderator
7,781 Posts
Toby is right enough!!!

I like your logic Andy...but the original pic is the correct way round. :confused:

Here are a couple that I took at the Milan show.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I'm pretty sure my old Yamaha DT80 had a kick start on the left hand side:confused:

Al:D

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Left-hand kickstarters

The old LC4 KTM engines had left-hand kick starters, like on the older KTM Dukes.

·
224 Posts
Husaberg, Husqvarna, KTM, VOR, And Vertemati all have/had right side drive and left side kick start, at least on some of thier models.

Many vintage European bikes, both 4 stroke and 2 stroke have/had right side drive and left side kick start.

Its a European thing. The Japs were the ones that use/used the opposite right side kick start and left side drive.

Just like differences in right/left shift and brake, the trend is toward all bikes going to right side kick, and left side drive, however this has not been standardized (yet).

Also, Vertemati helped Benelli with the R&D on this Benelli Thumper. As you may know, both 1st and 2nd generation Vertemati motorcycles had/have the "old world" european set up of right side drive, and left side kick start.

Personaly I think that the bike should be Estart with kick start back up, but it is true that a kick start only bike is both lighter in weight and more reliable than a bike equipped with estart. The fact that Benelli went kick start only shows they are trying to make a race bike, not just a off roader. On this same note, the dual exhaust looks nice (most likely why they used dual exhaust), but Benelli could same more weight and still be able to get good power and performance using a single exhaust.

Its clear that Benelli is going to go the direction with a full model range of bikes, rather that be a smaller specialty maker.

I still think Benelli has a very good chance to be a top contender in making high performance bikes that are works of art. I am waiting to see what they come up with next.

:)

·
Administrator
972 Posts
Yup yup..

A few of my friends have a NOX which is a limited edition motard based on the Husky. Bad assed bike. But Toby you are right..huge engine, 4 stroke. left kick start = busted shins! :eek:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hahaha... I can only conclude that vtxbrit you are absolutely right :rolling: :doh: Thus comes the joke how many Chinese does it take to kick start a Benelli dirt bike...none, call their Italian friends...

A "race" motocross bike has to be simple to use, at least here in the US. And it must come with a GREAT support for parts and aftermarket resources. And the machine iteself has to be competitive. I want to give Benelli the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to make a good come back.

You can be sure all mx/sx race bikes will be equipped with estart soon enough.

·
5,966 Posts
left side kick starter?

Just a thought fellas, but if the starter is on the left, you can kick it over with your right foot, while it's still on the side stand. If it is set up like my old GS750, you could kick it over by hand!

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I had a friend at work who had a VOR lunatic Supermoto, it too had a lft hand side kickstart. He always stood at the side of the bike and kicked it over withhis right foot!

Mind you it was to high to sit astride and kick start!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't imagine anyone getting off his/her stalled bike in a middle of a moto to restart the bike. If a bike is built to race, it has to work for the racers, so if one has stronger left leg then this could be to one's advantage. :rolleyes:

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
Left side Kick start

Yep, recently watched a Moto X with bikes that had the kick on the LHS.

They started the bikes by standing next to them and kicking with their right foot.

there's a point though if you stall it mid race.

Must be a European thing though.. much more machismo :)

·
903 Posts
Kick start.

:p

I would not want to race this bike because it is far too pretty! Could you imagine the damaged you would cause if you had a flip over!:bawl:

I think this bike is for showing off, when you are at a meeting you would get your old MXer out for any real racing. :rolling:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts