Benelli Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably the nicest forum anyone could ask to be a member of, and like other forums I am a member of the main topics are about our bike problems and how to cure them, so newbie’s contemplating buying the brand and browsing the forum should appreciate this fact.
the reason I am mentioning this is because I don’t think the Benelli range of bikes are really any less reliable than other manufactures, and I think Benelli are pretty good at honouring warranty claims.
However owning 2 other manufactures bikes and also having brothers and mates who own Honda’s, Suzuki’s and a Yamaha’s It has suddenly dawned on me as to what Benelli’s main problem is …communication…….. with my Morini I took it in to a dealer for its service and the vin number was punched into the dealer pc, up came the history and all updates/upgrades and recall works outstanding it was booked in and all works carried out over a one week period (some were minor mods others fairly involved) a similar story applied with my aprilia on its second service, my brothers B-King went in for its first service and came out with new discs to the front, a clutch mod and other cosmetic changes , all done before they could potentially fail.
My point is with Benelli unless you are “clued up” or a member of this great forum you would never know about any upgrades, things have to break or pack up before they are changed under warranty a typical example is how many times have I seen posts saying “ remove the clutch cover and look at the shaft to see if it is stamped etc………” my point is as long as your bike has been dealer maintained (and not necessarily the same dealer) the owner or subsequent new owner if sold should be able to go to his local dealer and be confident what has been done and what needs doing to his bike during the warranty period.
Benelli fixing the bike after it let the owner down is far more damaging to the Brand and the poor dealer who has to deal with an irate owner than recalling the potential problem before it breaks.
If Benelli adopted this scheme ¾ of the unfair press they get concerning reliability would be eliminated within a year.
Vtxbrit (proud owner of two Benelli’s)

·
Registered
403 Posts
How true.

I must put my tuppence in to this. ( Relates to Australia Only)
I bought a CR in may-2008, expecting it to be 2008 model, but alas it was a 2006 model, nobody disclosed this fact until it was parked in the shed. And as we know, there is a big difference between 2006 build and 2008 build.

I had some small issues, fuelling, hot start, dead battery. What pissed me off so much was that I was never sent out a "welcome to Benelli" card like toyota. Never part of any update list, never could find anything from the factory about modified updates, recalled z25 gear, starter motor gearbox mod.
including scps's
stepper motor, clutch basket, alternator, and starter motor.
Nobody would answer who and how would i get these done. And even a straight answer to "if" they had been done.
Very poor, can handle mistakes but, when poor customer service and ignorance on the importers behalf is standard, I can only make the statement they got what they deserve.

Now, I love my bike, I think it is the soundtrack, even looked lately at an ugly triumph speed triple. Triumph let you enter your VIN number at their website so you can find out what updates need to be done. Isn't that a good idea now.

Think about it Benelli, well treated customers are returning customers.

OK, off my :soapbox:

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Here's my pennies worth on this subject.

You're right about this forum Terry. It is probably THE nicest fprum to be a member of, hands down. I recently joined a paragliding forum to try and get some info, popped up a 'Hello I'm new here' kinda post and ninty eight views went past without a single hello. You'de never get that here.
Anyway, onto my point.
This is how I see it. The dealer is the one that we should be getting on to with regards to mods etc as they are the ones that sold us the bike in the first place. They shouldn't be selling a brand that they no nothing about. A bit of research into what they are getting themselves into costs nothing apart from a few hours sitting in front of a pc, calls to other dealers and calls to Benelli themselves to find out exactly what the score is.
I think however that we here on this forum could have some impact as to the way that things happen at Benelli. As individuals we are nothing more than a whisper in a thunderstorm when it comes to being heard, but collectively we probably have more chance of being heard if we all shout together.
Benelli also know that this forum exists and that people do come on here to ask for advice ect before buying, they know we love the bikes despite their faults and if they were being honest with themselves, that this is THE place to come if you want to know ANYTHING about Benellis.
Maybe we should start naming and shaming the dealers that have made mistakes or have given us shoddy service in the past? Maybe we should all write to Benelli to let them know what we would like to see happen in the future or get them to come onto this forum and answer our questions when things go wrong at their end?
I myself would like to see a star rating system posted on this forum for everyone to see that visits on who we rate as a good dealer, how we rate our bike's reliabilty, how quickly parts are shipped out etc etc etc.
Once Benelli and their dealers know that results on both good and bad performance would be available for everyone to see then maybe they in turn might pull their socks up to support us more. Let's face it, it's us that put our hard earned cash in their pockets in the first place, why should we stand by and listen to excuses or stand for poor customer service when things go wrong?
Part of our own downfall on this matter I believe is for the very reason that we are all such a nice bunch of lads (and lasses) on here and don't really want to put too much negativity on Rolands forum. Let's not see it as negativity though, let's just see it as constructive critisism. Maybe, just maybe, it might make a difference.

Al;)

Bloody hell, I've just realised that I wrote that whole piece above without one bloody smiley:rolling::rolling:

·
Registered
784 Posts

Maybe the head honcho doesn't know what is going on?

I doubt the owners want to keep pumping cash into a failing company. I don't think they have very good quality control and they don't follow up with customers.

It's not like they are selling thousands of bikes and couldn't get direct feedback from the customers.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blimey Al thought mine was a long rant :p ………. seriously though I do agree that some dealers are to blame, however I do feel their service to us is only as good as the backup they get from the factory, and as I have previously stated surely it wouldn’t cost a fortune for the factory to set up a database system (assuming there isn’t one) and become pro-active rather than the “fighting fires” approach that seems to be the case at present.
Maybe Distracted Rider has hit the nail on the head with his comments concerning the companies MD and his future investment, what I do know is I personally think the Benelli TNT is still the prettiest naked bike on the market and when running goes like stink and handles like a dream, (the perfect combination).
And the same applies to the Benelli Tornado only just being beaten in looks by the F4. ;)

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
So the next question is Terry, what do WE do about it? What issues do we want addressed?
I know that there are a lot of guys out there who do a lot of hard work behind the scenes to put a smile on our faces and it must be just as frustrating for them to try and put things right when the factory is not giving them the support they need. Whilst they might be trying as hard as they can for us we are still the ones left waiting for parts, repairs and warranty issues etc to be carried out. We're the ones left with no transport and having to make other arrangements to get to work or even worse, watching all of the good weather pass us by while we remain bikeless.

I think what would be good (for us and for Benelli) would be more communication directly with us rather than the dealer. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the time dealers may be blaming Benelli direct for delays when in fact it is probably down to them. Who knows?

Distracted Rider may very well be right in saying that perhaps the head honcho doesn't know, so let's change that and let him know what's going on but in a structured manner with everyone's thoughts put onto paper. Christ, I love a good pasta dish so I'd be willing to jump on a flight and go and hand the letter in myself and have a list of questions to put to them to see what they plan on doing to improve relationships between us and them.
And I would totally agree with DR in mirroring his thoughts about quality control. Hell, I love a good pasta dish and would happily take over as their quality control manager and put an end to the sloppiness that we seem to have grown accustomed to (I hope they're reading this as I could be doing with the work;)).
We have seen fellow Benelli owners give up on the brand and move away on this site proving that we can't keep plowing money into a failing company. Even us die hard Benelli owners might just find ourselves in that same position one day, we all have a breaking point.

China is country known for pride in the work place (especially the motor trade) as is Japan, yet I can't understand why they have invested money in an Italian company and not yet resurrected it from the dead.

If we want to do something about this then we should all start thinking about what changes we feel are in order so that faith in the Benelli brand will not only remain with us, but will silence those out there who see it for what it has become.

Al:bow:

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe the first step could be to all write an email (all done in the same week for impact) to the factory to tell them our concerns over warranty and customer relation matters, I dont think hitting them with loads and loads of different complaints would work, the emails or letters all need to be complaining about the same issue/s again for impact? what do you think.

Terry

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I agree completely Terry. A standard email copied and pasted from all of us outlining our concerns would be the way to go. The only difference being that it is a different name at the bottom of each one and sent on the same day if possible would certainly get their attention.
It should be something simple and to the point and letting them know that they should perhaps post an answer on here rather than send the same letter to every one of us might let them know that their answers to our questions will be in the public domain for all to see rather than tucked away in the deepest darkest corners of our in boxes.
We should perhaps try and get them to give ourselves information such as whether or not they work to deadlines in replying to dealers requests for warranty claims etc and if they do, what are the deadlines that their company has set out to try and complete these tasks?
I personally would like to know what their turnaround is for dealing with warranty claims, spare parts etc.
What we need to try and accomplish here is an effective working relationship between ourselves, the dealers and Benelli and not try to sound as though we want to call the shots, after all, all we want is a bit more information than what we have at the minute (which is nothing).

Al:confused:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I am down for anything....letter, email.

Letter should bring up alternator service, starter gear and shaft among other things.

Access to maps and parts sheet would be nice. They already offer the service manual and owners manual.

I just want to get the most use out of my bike without having to worry about alternators, starters, gears and shafts.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Come on people, let's hear what points you'd like to get across and lets get proactive. I'll type the letter up and submit it here to be proof read before sending it off.

Al:bow:

·
Registered
295 Posts
A Benelli problem.

It seems to me that the main problem sticks with Benelli as they fail to take proper aktion on problems that arrise.
Other companyes have issues to once in a while, but the difference is, it seems to me, that other companyes akknowledge the problems, investigates them (if it,s a common problem or a problem that sticks to certain series)

Then they act according to this.

It seems to me that Benelli are taking stand from case to case in these matters.

From reading in this forum it schould be a known factor that there has been major troubles on the clutch baskets on the early models for instance.

So instead of investigate which baskets could be a problem and replace the clutches on a recall, they await to see what happens.

Only trouble is that the costumers are i danger of getting even bigger problems such as major engine breakdown from clutch shavings :doh:

I meen with the number of bikes they make it should be fairly easy to scrutinize these problems.

Cheers Per ........................(who just found out that i need a new clutch on a bike that has 3000 miles on it):rolleyes:

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Great idea chaps, Benelli is at the moment still producing a relatively low volume when compared against the big 4 Japs and also compared to Triumph, Ducati, Aprilia etc, so they should be able to be proactive in responding to a mass request for improvements, and getting chages made rapidly, wether it be in the form of a upgrades database or improved attention to detail in the manufacture of the bikes on the production line.

Yup, they should be able to listen to us and take into account what the PAYING customer would like, Triumph used this ethos and still do to make ongoing improvements to their service and to the product in general, after all it's only common sense to listen to the people who pay you.

As you say it should all be seen as positive critisism, at the end of the day I want to be able to buy another Benelli in the future, if they cant react to our suggestions and others(whatever they end up being) and start failing due to poor communications and customer support, they may well fade away. Really don't want this to happen.

Just my tuppenceworth. Fraser

1 - 12 of 12 Posts