Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think its me unfortunately.

Don't ask me why but in a moment of e-bay madness a month ago I bought one of those crappy Chinese mini motos. Think it was inspired by a tre lookalike midi moto I saw on one of the gallery snaps on here.

It was cheap and no wonder....when it arrived it was a hell of a mess.

Growing up my father was an engineer and could fix anything I broke so I really don't have a clue about anything mechanical (my fault for not paying attention) but I'm keen to learn...particularly anything I can safely attack on my bike....we've all got to start somewhere so the mini moto was to be my winter project.

Started on the plastic fairings first and spent half a day removing over 100 tiny stickers...as you might have guessed these revealed some serious cracks.
Repaired the cracks, filled what needed filled and they are now all primed ready for painting Tre green and silver.

So that was the easy part...on to the mechanicals...not that there is much on these bikes.

The bike started first time I tried it but quickly died then just wouldn't start again.

Over the course of a month I removed the carb and cleaned it about 20 times but only managed to get the bike started once as a result of this.
This actually nearly resulted in a nasty accident.... having the throttle open full and the bike wasn't on its paddock stand it shot off...thankfully I had a decent grip on it and just managed to avoid taking a lump out of my car!

I then managed to crack the carb cover screwing it in so had to buy a new one....and a new fuel filter....and a new spark plug....my rationale was by applying this process of elimination I'd be bound to get it started eventually!!!
None of this worked!

Frustrated and determined to do something I took the engine out and took it to bits...like I had a clue what I was looking for!!! Lost or damaged so many bits in the process I ended up buying a new engine!

So, the new engine is in and you guessed it....back to square one as the b**tard still won't start.

To be fair a bit of fuel straight into the spark plug hole does work but I'm bu**ered if I can figure out why the fuel doesn't seem to be getting to the engine as its certainly getting to the carb.

Its been a worthwhile exercise if nothing else as I now know its probably best to leave my real bike to the experts. I'd be gutted if I managed to botch up the Benelli...at least this mini moto hasn't been an expensive exercise.

I'm also much fitter as I reckon I've pulled that bl**dy cord approximately 50 times a night for the last month trying to start it up. The wife seems happy also as she gets peace every night to watch crap like Coronation Street and Eastenders.

As you can imagine the abuse I'm getting from the wife's family who are all keen bikers and pretty experienced mechanics is horrific though...I'm determined to prove them wrong however I think the abuse is justified. They are up in Scotland at the end of November....must get the damn thing looking great and more importantly starting first time and running well by then!

I really am useless....enthusiastic but useless!

·
northern member
2004 Tornado
623 Posts
One thing comes to mind Petrol, lighter and say oH bugger it caught fire just as I got it fixed:rolling:

·
Registered
736 Posts
ExJapSteve may have a good point there BUT without the match.
Drain the fuel and put fresh fuel in the tank.
Biggest problem with a stroker is they like fresh fuel and the crap we get palmed off with at the pumps nowadays only lasts for a month or so before it goes stale.
Worth a try...........................if not ignore what I just said and use the lighters method:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
your'e never to old to learn.
I am presuming it is a two stroke.
After pulling so much -after this remove the spark plug and see whether it is wet. _wet means no spark- very dry means not getting fuel.
If very dry, are you using the choke. The choke might not be working.
If it fires then dies and plug is wet maybe it is flooding choke needs to be off.
If dry take carb out hold in upright position (normal) and somehow get fuel into it. remove float bowl without draining fuel. See how much fuel you are actually getting inside the bowl. should be at least two thirds up. correct method would be to turn carb upside down with bowl off and measure the float height in relation to the bowl mating surface, just closing the needle.(problem here is you need to know the spec(measurement) for this carb.)

If this is all good you might not have good crankcase compression (bad seals) to suck in fuel and air.
Also check that plug sparks. Remove plug connect to plug wire and put against cylinder and pull. another way is to get some 4 year old to hold wire and pull. If kid wriggles and smiles you might have good spark.:rolling:
Try this.
Paul

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep its a 2 stroke.

thanks for the advice re the fuel...hadn't appreciated the short shelf life...suspect that's part of the problem. The fact that I've stuck a brand new engine in makes me think there shouldn't be any carb or compression issues. Def sparking ok. I'll drain the whole thing again and get some fresh fuel over the weekend.

If this doesn't work I'll keep at it....the English don't arrive on Scottish soil until 26th December so plenty time to get it sorted before then. I was down in Englandshire over the weekend and already the abuse has started as the wife was stirring up trouble telling everyone about the mini moto I bought and broke the first day I had it...I'll show 'em!

As a last resort the hammer idea is also noted...the whole thing will fit in the wheelie bin I guess!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Exactly as Paul says plus there may be just a knack to starting them. (Choke on, no throttle, or choke off as soon as it starts, something like that mebbe)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts