Benelli Forum banner

Thinking about taking the plunge

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jazzy 
#1 ·
Hi Gang,

Off to look at a 06 plate standard tornado on Sat at Real World down in Aberdare. Bloke who had it just chopped it in for a 1130 to go with his 1000 f4 mv :bow:

Anything to look for when on the test ride?

any probs with this dealer :confused:

cheers

jazzy

p.s. anyone want to buy an SP-1 :bawl: can't afford both

#3 ·
buying the beast!

Check for full service history.
Shouldn't be a problem as it's an 06.
I don't think (please someone correct me if i'm wrong) it would need the clocks changed for the dodgy temp gauge/ thermostat issue.
Or the clutch housing.

Unless it is an older model that sat until it was registered as an 06.
Always a possibility.

Check the usual damage details:

Ends of foots pegs for any slight scratching.
Ends of levers for the same.
Dear selector rubber for damage.
Grips for any sign of scuffing.
Behind the exhaust for a tell tail sign that it's been dropped on the right side.
The exhaust could be changed but it leaves a tiny mark in the swingarm casting.

Have a look under the pillion seat at the two mounting screws for the tail section, as the plastic loop is often broken if it's been over tightened.
Silly benelli don't put a gromit or washer on there so it's easy to crack!

On the test ride, watch out for the neutral selection. You will already know i'm sure, but it's a shock the first time when you can't find neutral when ticking over.

If you've never ridden one before then keep an eye out if you want to turn round in a small space.
On full lock it has a big turning circle and you'll catch your thumb against the fairings.

Because of the design, you'' feel like you're right over the front wheel, and with the excellent brakes it can be quite exciting!

Last thing from me is to say:

Wind it up on a decent length of road and listen to the most beautiful sound!!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Colin......

#4 ·
re 06 tre

check its got decent tyres and original ones were on dunlop 207's ,check for flaky paint,and definetly get the airbox drain hole modified so its not going onto middle pot,i know that problem too well !. get all manuals etc are present and owners manual is disc for computer so dont worry if you dont get a big thick manual with it just make sure you have service one. its a big difference from sp1 as i went from one over to milles then tornado.

#5 ·
JAZZY, it may very well be earlier than 2006, look at the vin no..
It will be something like zbntb00024pooo999 with the tenth digit indicating year of birth ! ie 2004 as above.
So if buying check clocks are latest version, clutchbasket inc gear are the revised 8mmwide gear type (very important), the clutch arm is steel. Plus what has already been said. If you do buy get it confirmed in writing, it may help if you were told porkys and then had a problem...:)

#6 ·
thanks all for the help.

It was indeed a 2004 model. I asked him to confirm in writing that it has had the mods doing. It needs a new gear change as the rubber has split. Do 2004 models need all the above doing?

This one was on a 06 plate with 2400 miles for £5795. I've seen a 2004 bike on a 57 plate with 0 miles for £6k in preston. May well go for that as it's got 2yrs warranty rather than one. Got a reasonable offer for the SP from them though, gonna ring this other place up and see what the say. Failing that i may sell it privately and take off the cans and power commander and sell them on ebay. decisions decisions

#7 ·
Yeah 5800 is a bit rich for an 04 - check on ebay u will see them going for 4k or less. Mine was an 06 bought a year old from Bennets for just under 6k, so if you can get a brand spanker for that I would snap it up!
If they wont let u test ride it, make sure you can take it back if you find its not right - check for stalling or backfiring by pulling the clutch in over 3k revs once its warmed up. This seems to be quite a common fault, but contrary to some reports, its not something that affects them all. Mine has this problem and its been a bitch to resolve - its back in for the 3rd attempt in a couple of weeks.

Col

#9 ·
been having a mooch on the net. Slingers in Preston advertising 0 mile 2004 models on a 57 plate for £5999 + OTR of £350. Bit of hunting discovers they are owned by KJM in Wigan who istr are the main importers :confused:
Offered me same for the SP1 so i'll probably go with that. I want them to throw in an alarm and delivery as well, so going to let them sweat for a bit.

Any probs with KJM?

He assured me they had all had the clutch mods and that carried out

#10 ·
Buying the tornado

I would ask for all the mods to be listed as done if i was buying and getting assurances by word (they evaporate later !), I think that by checking through brian at importers he should be able to check if mods done by checking chassis no' (i think thats right anyone ?). Prices of tornado's are a fickle thing as i paid £3350 for a late 03 model with less than 4,000 miles on and some mods done . if your selling parts off your sp1 try the sp1 forum as its a place where you will get a decent price for your parts whereas ebay you'll possibly get messed around . good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.