Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fellow motorcyclist/racer/trackday instructor has left us. He raced in my club and had helped me at a couple of track days. Back in April he was seriously injured at the start of a race, run over by another bike and paralyzed from the waist down. He decided yesterday that he no longer wanted to live knowing that there was zero chance he'd recover. So, he took matters into his own hands. I'm still in shock. :bawl:

Here's his last blog entry from a couple of weeks ago:
http://ericstatus.blogspot.com/2009/10/to-be-or-not-to-be.html

And a thread on our local rider's forum:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313720&page=1

This just reminds me how fleeting life can be and how precious each day is.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I am struggling to keep the tears away after reading that... I have lost 2 good mates through this obsession we have with motorcycles and it is never far from my mind when I am out that a simple mistake by me or another could mean the end or serious injury. I would be lying if I said I had not considered giving it up before for the sake of my family - many (non riders) seem to think you are selfish when you do not do so. At the end of the day though, life is short and full of too many regrets and could be ended in so many ways that giving up something I love so much and which has enriched my life with many great friends as well as fun is not an option. My wife fortunately understands that. All we can do is try and ride as safe as possible and take any opportunity to improve our skills - not only on the bike to avoid as much danger as possible, but in the car to avoid potentially being the cause.

Ride safe everyone.

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,418 Posts
shit man, thats sad......................

words fail me

Ride safe, everyone

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And now to add insult to injury, I just received word that another of my racing friends died of a heart attack tonight. This is a guy who taught me in my new racer school. I'm completely crushed.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Heartbreaking mate, I coldn't stop the :bawl: when I read that ! I feel so lucky that I haven't ever lost any close family in any tradgedies,

I can see where Eric was coming from and respect him for it, there was a young rugby player over here in the UK who made national news for a similar thing, he went to Switzerland to end his life,

Our thoughts and best wishes are with you and the families mate,

:(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sorry to read that he commited suicide. That must make it more diffcult for those who gave their support and help. It's hard to tell what way people will go once the negativity sets in. Poor guy, I feel very sorry for him. I suppose it's easy to assume one would adapt to life and "get on with it"... but he raised a good point....why should he if he doesnt want to ? I suppose at the end of the day, it was too much for him and nobody can ask more than that he tried his best.

·
I want a TreK. And a TnT.
1,215 Posts
With sympathies

My brother's best friend was left in a similar state after a car accident several years ago. He has since shown remarkable positivity in adapting to his new situation.

I say 'remarkable' precisely because I've often thought to myself that if it were me I doubt very much I would want to carry on in such circumstances and I can totally empathise with the poor fella for feeling that way. I do feel people have every right to make their own decisions about life. The sadness of suicide is that it is particularly hard on those family and friends left behind and my sypathies go out to you and all those involved.

All the best,
Dom

·
Registered
414 Posts
How very sad.

Just shows that others have far greater problems than our own..
What a decision to make and then take.

My thoughts are with him his family and friends who am sure will always remember him the way he used to be.

What a great outpouring of appreciation and fond memories from his buddies on the forum. I am sure he was proud to be part of it. :bow:
Just as I am this one :bow:

In our lives we all make decicions to enhance our enjoyment and leisure time.
My wife knows how much I like my bikes and would not stop me having mine. Even though she wanted me to give it up after the birth of our son Jack (now 3 1/2). Every time I now go out she still worries. But as I always tell her I will take care.

I have also lost a few good friends from their persuit of following their motorcycle hobby. Some possibly down to their own fault others being unfortunate that someone else caused the accident. This story only brings
it back home to you.

Take it easy on your bikes my fellow forum buddies. :)

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for all the kind words. Hard to grasp the loss of not 1 but 2 of my friends in a single day.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
So sorry to hear of this Mark. My thoughts go out to you and both the guys family and friends.

·
Ready for summer
381 Posts
Sad as
One is bad but two in the same day. What are the chances ?
Best wishes to all concerned

·
Fyule
697 Posts
This is really sad. It really puts things into perspective and makes you appreciate what you have here and now. I for one will stop taking things for granted and enjoy what I have. namely health, family and friends who care.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
After reading these events and peoples comments i had been unable to comment through my B Berry so first chance at home had to write how deeply saddening this has been to everyone unconnected to the gentleman Eric . I'm really sorry to hear about this and as fraser says it really is wrong for myself to ever complain of the stupid things and i can only say that Eric's legacy is that he has made us all see how fortunate we all are . On a personal note i had not only a biker mate become a paraplegic and to this day cannot see where his tower of strength came from to carry on but carry on he did to adapt to cars and a succesful career,my second experience of this was my ex girlfriend had a spinal injury making her wheelchair bound after a motorcycle incident and yesterday having read this it brought it all back me and many others from here were reduced to tears .

I didnt know Eric personally but his Legacy is he made us value what we have right here right now and for that i am eternally in his debt and offer sympathies to his friends,family and associates

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
This is really sad. It really puts things into perspective and makes you appreciate what you have here and now. I for one will stop taking things for granted and enjoy what I have. namely health, family and friends who care.
Well said Fraser.. :clap: Certainly makes ya think..

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Eric's employers graciously set up their company headquarters for a memorial service today celebrating Eric's life. They had displays all around of memorabilia from Eric's home, with little placards telling of various interests that Eric had. It was wonderful and there must have been 300 people there. Lots of people spoke about the impact Eric had on their lives. His boss had an especially touching tribute to Eric. The broad range of people from all walks of life who loved Eric was a testament to just what a special person he was.

Thanks again to all of you, my Benelli brothers, for being such great friends. I truly hope to meet as many of you as I can in person someday.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts