Benelli Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...there is some stuff (at least according to their own hype) about the new Norton 961 Commando, an possibly about the quirky racing bike, too.
MCN

There are some pictures and specs about the new Commando in the Norton Motorcycles website. It seems to be even more retro than the Triumph Thruxton, but made with proper suspension and brakes, so it's like the best parts of Ducati Sport 1000 and Thruxton put together in a package that (to me) looks a bit like a 70's Laverda, sort of, as well as a classic Commando.

I've been dreaming about getting another bike to give the Nellie some company, but something quite different, and something a bit quirkier, obviously. A retro cafe racer, perhaps, a retro-ish scrambler, or a proper enduro bike to rampage around the woods and forest roads. I even thouht about, *gulp* a Buell, until I saw the picture and the short clip of the new Norton. Blimey! That's a fine looking bike, innit? Me want one! :)

So now there's a story about it in this week's MCN, and apparently some comments about a test ride, too. I'd very much like to see it. But since I'm not in the old Blighty, I can't get me hands on a copy. Has anyone of you Brits read it yet? What did it say? There seem to be a Flash version of the mag in the MCN website, but it's barely readable even in full screen, and I can't seem to be able to zoom it. There seem to be only two pages about the Norton. Is that all they write about it, or is there more in the real print version?

I know this is a bit off-topic in a Benelli forum, but surely it's generally interesting, in the biker bar, right?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I've been keeping an eye on the development of the 961, as I have a couple of original Nortons, and am a great fan of the marque, or 'brand', as Stuart Garner irritatingly insists on calling it:rolleyes: . The test was very short, as the engine is underdeveloped, still using carburettors, so they have yet to sort fuel injection, engine management system etc, which is quite distant from its present, 'organic' state. MCN were far more impressed than they thought they would be, a real bike for real world riding. It has a great spec - Ohlins, Brembo, Rizomi, and and and BST carbon fibre wheels! :D If they can keep that spec, and price it sensibly, it could be a great bike! Lets hope this Norton, after several false starts, will make it into the shops:ele:
Meanwhile, lets see what Michael Dunlop can do with the rotary Norton on the roads this year - I wish him every success :clap: :clap:

Cheers

Ian

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,418 Posts
Its got more chance of making it to the shops than the Norton Nemesis:doh:
Is this not a very good time to relaunch the marque?
I hope they do well at the island although i hope they dont manipulate BSB rules to let them race in that championship.
A different bike? i've had big single cylinder trailies in the past and they're a hoot:D

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I hope they do well at the island although i hope they dont manipulate BSB rules to let them race in that championship.
I don't see why not. BSB rules were tweeked for V-twins, and could be for rotaries. I know a rotary is more difficult to quantify against a conventional engine, but you can't exclude something if it proves to be better - that's progress...:clap:

Lets wait and see how it goes on the roads - it might be sh#te ;) . (I hope not, though :D )

Cheers

Ian

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
I'm also a follower/Believer in our British Heritage of Motorcycles and wish Norton:bow: well just like Triumph have done, there's a MCN test trailer on You Tube and it sounds almost identical to the Thruxton I had with the "aftersales" exhausts fitted, WONDERFUL ! :bow:

I'll watch with interest to see how they fare at this years TT and other events ! :ele:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K80gXKSZTI

:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts