Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, I think I may just be starting to feel the slight shudder that occurs as a results of the engine headstock stay coming loose, its very mild, like the brakes have a slight "pumping" feel, I doubt its the headstem bearing as the bike has only 5000 kays on it and its never been wheelied ( yeah, I'm a woose), is it a simple job to torque them back up and do I have to remove bits and pieces??

Also the rear braks squealing (as posted in the tech section), any cures, its never been this bad before, only the occasional squeak, not its all the bloody time, looks real good on a 35K bike!!!

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
Rear Brakes

Nath'

Could never stop my rears from squealing either. Even after replacement. So it must have to do with the compund in the pads.

Neat trick when you pull up behind a female senior citizen at the lights and in their review mirror you see this look of horror that you are going to rear end her car.:rolleyes:

As for the headstock; let me know what you do to cure it, I may have to do the same.

·
1,841 Posts
My rear brake did the squealing, i eventually found it was a sticky piston. One piston would move a lot easier than the other. I put a spanner between the pads and pumped the pistons both out enough to polish them since then my squeal has gone !:)
My RS front judder got bad, I found the front middle (see Engenia mod) loose. Then I found there are mounts on the side of the cylinder head and my left one was also loose! You have to remove side fairing and the duct to rad to access.
I am again getting a bit of judder ! but I cant work out if it is the discs distorted a bit by the judder before ? I dont want to buy new discs then find out it still judders..I need to try a spare wheel/discs to confirm where the fault now is !!!:confused:
colin..

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its gotten worse !

last few days riding to work has me convinced ive got a losened engine mount, the brakes pump on light application and it shuddered on hard braking, Does anyone have any pic of the procedure to guide me?. I'll have to bite the bullet and do it Sat because ive got a Charity run on sunday morning, How long can i expect it to take to access the front 3?? engine mounts ?

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Help

I went to tighten the headstem mount but it looks as if I have to remove the fairing's around the light too, ie the mirrors and the front, side and rad ducts to properly access the motor and engine mounts, On the RS did I also have to move the oil cooler to access the front engine mount ??, I started on the problem then realised it was going to take longer than the 1.5hr spare i had to work on the problem?

How much crappola do I have to remove to access this front mount, seems like theres a lot of stuff to move, I take it the normal tornado is a bit easier due to it not having the oil cooler fitted?

·
1,841 Posts
Hi aussie rs, You can get to the middle front bolt with out removing anything. I used a 3/8 drive socket wrench and a ring spanner on the oppersite side(from above) It is a bit hard to see what you are doing.You need to be careful you dont slip and scratch anything. the side eng mounts need the mirrors and fairings removed, but it does not take too long. When my mounts came loose it did not pulsate on the brakes, it was more front to rear shake of the forks and the mirrors flap violently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts