Benelli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read in the service book that the timing chain has to be replaced at 15000 miles.:bawl: Is that dead on that milage or can it go over a bit. I'am not that far off yet probably do it by next week. Has anybody else had there's done' and what state was the chain in, could it have gone another couple of thou.:clap:
cheers.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
I know that Errol (Engenia) changed his at 15,000 mile and he reckoned that it was about half worn out but I'd be changing it now if I was you Tony!!!!

What's the point in taking the risk for the sake of a few quid :confused: (D.I.D. do one that is a direct replacement for under £25) It'll cost you a damn sight more than that if it lets go :bawl: :mad: :bawl:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that Errol (Engenia) changed his at 15,000 mile and he reckoned that it was about half worn out but I'd be changing it now if I was you Tony!!!!

What's the point in taking the risk for the sake of a few quid :confused: (D.I.D. do one that is a direct replacement for under £25) It'll cost you a damn sight more than that it it lets go :bawl: :mad: :bawl:
I'll give russ a ring ask what its going to cost because i need the shims doing aswell. thanks.

·
1,841 Posts
Like Laurence says it is prob best to replace for peace of mind. The 1130 tnt replacement is at 24900 miles and so is the tre 1130, so if you ride reasonably gently it should not be at risk ? but all the same I would replace mine around 15000.
just read your last post, if the shims are being done it is not much more work to change the chain and guide anyway.

·
5,928 Posts
I have read in the service book that the timing chain has to be replaced at 15000 miles.:bawl: Is that dead on that milage or can it go over a bit. I'am not that far off yet probably do it by next week. Has anybody else had there's done' and what state was the chain in, could it have gone another couple of thou.:clap:
cheers.
You can go over a bit - maybe a few thousand. Just don't thrash it.
At 25,000km (15,612 miles), mine was worn 0.2%, and the tensioner had just about reached it's limit.
In a slow revving car engine, the cam chain should be replaced when it reaches 1%.
I've measured a broken Tornado chain at 1.1%. I'm dead certain that the tensioner would have stopped doing it's bit between 0.3 & 0.5%. So the chain broke because it was slapping around violently, increasing it's wear rate. It broke when the engine was spinning around 10,000 rpm.

The moving guide needs to be changed at the same time.
Cost? AUD 120-150 for the chain, and the same for the guide, if you go OEM.
AUD 60 for the DID. The DID is not the same though, and I'll be the first to try one - and I WILL be watching it's progress, VERY carefully.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts