Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks.
I have been an Italian bike nut for a good few years and gave up trying to get parts through from Italy a few years back. Now Its taken over my life and I spend all my time playing with them for a living. I have been breaking MVs, Aprilias and Ducatis for a while and have just expanded into the Tornedo as of this week. The rough plan is to break a bike every 2-3 months, as I do now with MV Agustas. So if there is anything you need then it might be worth checking out my website. I can't promise to have everything in stock, each bike only comes with 1 of most things :) and predicting when I will have something in stock is not an exact science sadly.
What I can promise is that I have a strong belief in customer service and always try and treat customers as I would wish to be treated myself. I don't sell stuff I don't physically have and I don't run and hide when there is a problem.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi Mark,

Nice to have you on-board and very enthuastic. :)

Mixed feelings about Benelli's being broke up. :bawl: It's always nice to have access to parts, but real shame when one gets broke up. :(

Anywho, have already bought a part from you and waiting for delivery, so your right (and brave), you have nowhere to hide on here.
Ya judged by ya actions. :rolling:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stephen,
I look at it this way, better for a small number to be stripped than a large number be discarded due to lack of parts. It's not something that I could (or want to) do on an industrial scale, just me and my small workshop. Thats how I like it, small and personal.

I think I have a good reputation amongst the MV community, a touch larger group but not by much. From some of the pictures in the Galery I suspect there
are a few F4 owners on here too. If there are some MVOC members here then you may know as a former editor of MV News.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hi Stephen,
I look at it this way, better for a small number to be stripped than a large number be discarded due to lack of parts.
Hi Mark, I hear what you are saying, but the bike you broke had nothing wrong with it according to your Ebay advert. You describe riding it before you broke it! It was a perfectly straight bike! All parts are available from Benelli if someone is looking for something.

If you had broken a bike that was beyone economical repair or was a Cat A / B then fair enough. But I dont agree with breaking a perfectly straight bike with nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I brake undamaged bikes is that the parts can be checked more easily. For instance would you be happy to buy a frame from a crashed bike? Or an engine that hasn't run since the last rider came off? Breaking is about supplying all parts not just the one or two intact panels from a pile of scrap.
If you prefer to buy new parts and wait for them to arrive then that is a valid choice to make.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Im sorry but I dont agree with you i'm afraid.

If a bike is a Cat A / B and HAS to be broken for legal reasons, then salvaging parts from it whatever they might be. ECU's electrical items, engine components, bodywork, fittings, chassis components etc is excellent to provide for bikes that are on the road. I'm not talking about frames here. A geniuine bike off the road would not be needing a frame.

Breaking a perfectly straight bike has nothing to do for the love of the brand, it is all to do with making money. These bikes should be seen and heard riding and not broken for money if it's not necessary. There are few enough of them around as it is.

I wish your sig should say "If it ain't broke - then don't break it" !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We will have to agree to differ then.

Can I offer up a recent story from a friend of mine, an official Aprilia dealer.

He sold a new RSVR which seized the big end within a 1000 miles. After much huffing and puffing Aprilia agreed they would supply a replacement engine. this was ordered and then took over two months to arrive, the delay was because Aprilia spares hold no complete engines and they had to take one from the production line. This meant a lot of internal arguing while the spares people tried to persuade the production managers that they must release an engine. The production team were reluctant to do this as they would then be left with a bike with no engine. It was effectively a bike 'broken' while still in the factory. So in this scenario who was in the right, the customer with a scrap engine or the production manager with his bike.

You can apply a similar view to all parts, the more sent out as spares the less available to build bikes.

I also read an interesting story in the links section of this site where an owner had a blown clutch and took a long time to persuade the factory to replace the engine. Well that engine means there is one less bike out of the factory gates. The remainder will almost certainly have been passed on to the spares department.

I think the sensable thing here is to agree to differ.

·
Registered
864 Posts
You can apply a similar view to all parts, the more sent out as spares the less available to build bikes
Benelli don't build these bikes anymore! but they can still supply parts. Each perfect bike broken is a tradjedy to the marque in my books! each bike removed from the roads permanently will NEVER be replaced.

Yes - as you say. I think we will need to agree to disagree on this one. You have every right to what you wish. I am just very passionate about Benelli.

I would be interested to find out the views of other Benelli Enthusiasts

Neil

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Well, I for one would agree its sad when any bike as beautiful as the Tornado (or MV for that matter!) gets broken, however, if and when any of us are ever stuck for a part (and with Russ on the case thats never been an issue so far), I am sure that any of us will be glad to use your service, so welcome to the forum Mark :D

Cheers

Col

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
I agree with Borat, as long as it doesnt harm the dealership in maybe losing too many lost spare sales therefore making a dealership judge this on wether to keep a brand or your prices are not over-inflated because of the rarity of your choice of bikes broken then suppose your the second emergency service to us. Now the important question what bike do you actually ride and what discount do i get for creeping !!!:rolling:

·
Registered
864 Posts
I agree with Borat, as long as it doesnt harm the dealership in maybe losing too many lost spare sales therefore making a dealership judge this on wether to keep a brand or your prices are not over-inflated because of the rarity of your choice of bikes broken then suppose your the second emergency service to us. Now the important question what bike do you actually ride and what discount do i get for creeping !!!:rolling:

Yeh Angus Yer a creep :rolling: :rolling:

·
3,085 Posts
yep

a bloke in Perth west Australia had a new 05 Mille throw a crank, had to wait months for a whole replacement engine. I think its just a pity that most bikers dismiss benelli out of hand without knowing anything about them or / and have never ridden one.

I've heard some horror stories about ducati and mv breaking and being new, Benelli's with the right upgrades and often better than the other italians IMHO.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Mark
welcome along. Have you got any top 900 tre fairing panels? If so let me know how much you want for them. It doesn`t matter if they have peeling paint or are scratched just intact.
As you will have seen we are a loyal lot on here :D
While we are talking parts I could also do with a left side upper side panel for a 1098s Ducati. The one I have was dropped off the sidestand by the previous owner and needs replacing.
I, for one, cant see the wrong in supplying parts for group of enthusiasts seeing as tho it can take months for parts to come from the manufacturer.
Come give him a break! Mark could have just listed the bits on ebay and some of us would NO DOUBT have bid on them. At least he has come forward and made himself known here.
Dave

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
The more Tornados taken off the street makes them scarcer and will eventually put their market prices back. It will make them a true collector piece. And most of you as passionate as you are, are collectors.:)

Thumbs up to Mark.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting selection of replies, thanks guys.

I appreciate that there are very limited numbers of these bikes and that is going to be a limiting factor for my business, as it has for lots of others who were interested in working with the brand. At the moment I have dipped my toe in the water and will see how things pan out over the next few weeks/months.

fo those who were wondering what bikes I have:
CB550K3 (1975) - which is very slowly morphing into a Hailwood replica

CB750K7 (1978) - which I fully restored a few years ago.

CR750 (1970) - Dick Mann replica, that I built a few years ago.

RSV1060 Mille (1999) - converted to WSB spec by a previous owner, almost all parts upgraded (probably the best (objectivly) bike I have ever owned)

MV F4750 - with some ORO parts/race bodywork and if I have the time over the winter will be converted to 1000R engine. MV's are top of my wish lsit, just cant afford the early race bikes that I realy want.

I would also like to keep a Benelli but probably a classic one, just at the moment I don't have space for all the above so until I move into the country estate :)rolleyes: day dreaming) I'm limited to how many bikes I can keep.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Im sorry but I dont agree with you i'm afraid.

If a bike is a Cat A / B and HAS to be broken for legal reasons, then salvaging parts from it whatever they might be. ECU's electrical items, engine components, bodywork, fittings, chassis components etc is excellent to provide for bikes that are on the road. I'm not talking about frames here. A geniuine bike off the road would not be needing a frame.

Breaking a perfectly straight bike has nothing to do for the love of the brand, it is all to do with making money. These bikes should be seen and heard riding and not broken for money if it's not necessary. There are few enough of them around as it is.

I wish your sig should say "If it ain't broke - then don't break it" !
I'm with N33ly on this one, this is a purely money making venture. Personally I would only fit new parts to my pride and joy, but as I'm looking at buying a damaged bike to do up as a track bike/project I thought I'd do some sums. For the tornado parts this guy currently has on ebay the total bill would be around £3350 (plus delivery). This does not include any major components like frame/engine/gearbox/wheels or parts thereof. Now as this would be my first project and I've only just started looking into things I can't be sure, but I'd imagine to get these basics you'd be looking at at least £1000-1500 to buy as a package. This would end up as a bike that cost upwards of £5000 to build yourself by the time you source the remaining parts necessary.

Now I realise that parts will always cost more than the whole, and these parts are probably cheaper (and quicker) than buying new, but make no mistake, this is all about PROFIT and in no way for a love or respect of the brand.:mad:

Guess I'd best just start saving up to buy a decent second hand machine for the track as it'll be a damn sight cheaper!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Mark, i'm always a little confused when perfectly straight bikes are broken for spares re-sale... having a look at your Ebay shop you are selling a Ducati frame with no damage but the frame number ground off? :confused:

Item number: 320307629719

Good - straight undamaged frame.
From an insurance write off (due to cosmetic damage) so no frame number - they had it ground off
to prevent the bike going back on the road after they paid out, so no registration docs.

Category A - May not be resold. Entire motorcycle must be crushed. Total burnout or flood damage (salt or foul water). Severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or already stripped out shell. DVLA require "Notification of Destruction".
Category B - Motorcycle itself may not be resold. Damaged beyond economical repair, usually with severe structural/frame damage. DVLA require "Notification of Destruction". Parts can be removed and sold.
Category C - Repairable salvage. Usually applies to motorcycles with significant frame damage, where cost of repairs exceeds book value. Can be sold complete to Motorcycle Trade or Public. Recorded as "Category C" at DVLA. Category C vehicles' V5 documents are returned to DVLA. You re-apply, to DVLA or at your local VRO, for registration on the original identity once you have fixed it up, MOTed it and want to Tax it. Re-registration removes the Category C classification, but evidence it was at one time Category C remains on the vehicle's record at DVLA (and HPI and AA and the others).
Category D - Repairable salvage. Minimal damage, probably not structural, but insurer does not want to repair, even though it might be economic to do so. Often stolen and recovered after claim has been paid. Or for unusual models or grey imports where the difficulty of obtaining new parts hinders a quick repair. Does not need VIC inspection to return to road. Recorded with HPI, AA, and the like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah so we are getting into attacking my business ethics, Well I have no problem in confirming that I am in business to make money. Your simplistic analysis takes no account of any of the additional costs such as ebay fees which run at 15% of my turnover, VAT which accounts for a further 17.5% then there are all the normal expenses in running a business, which I'm not going to give a full break down on. Then consider how long it will take to see any return on my initial investment, how long it will be before (if ever) all the parts are sold.
Can you begin to see that breaking bikes is not quite the liscence to print money that you may have thought.

If you need lots of parts then a complete bike will always work out as the most cost effective option, if you need 1 or 2 then buying a whole bike is not an option.

Yes a business is supposed to make money, this is not a new concept. Although the money markets do seem to have lost the plot on that at the moment.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts