Benelli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a relatively new owner I'm still coming to terms with my Sport but I do have a couple of EFI questions.

1. What brand of ECU does the TnT run (same for all years?) & where is it located on the bike.
2. It looks to be an open loop type - correct?
3. There's sometimes a hiccup between 3000 - 4000 rpm. Is this typical?
4. The bike occasionally stalls pulling up to the lights - typical?
5. Any remapping required for after market mufflers?

My previous bike a Guzzi Centauro had similar EFI issues and the only way to eliminate them completely was to toss the Webber ECU in the bin and replace with one of Cliff Jeffrey's units. Hmm perhaps Cliff can be persuaded to build a unit for a triple. For those interested here is a link to Cliff's site.

Oh and does anyone actually use the "power" button on the dash? Maybe it's me but around town I can't tell the difference. Come that, after a Guzzi both positions are arm stretching in the hills :)

Cheers!

Mike

·
3,081 Posts
Ecu

Mike, fron what i can gather from the web, the TnT uses a Walbro ECU, I thought it was a Sagem like the tornado's but apparently it isnt, I have seen on google that its meant to be programable, lords knows how but, I know www.tuneboy.com.au in Melbourne is working on a version of its ecu re-programming software for the TnT's hopefully with dual maps. drop Wayne Macdonald of tuneboy a email, At least with tuneboy and being over east you have half a chance of finding someone with experience in using it, Over here in West OZ, no-one is even willing to learn how to use it, pity as tuneboy will work with Dynojets Tuning Link software on their dyno's, were the dyno software works out the best setting after a series of runs and desins the optimal map and then you load it into your laptop and then dowmload it into the bike, I have it for my RS. I'm not sure if the 04/05 TnT had a different ecu, but it seems as it the latest Tornado 1130 and Tre-K run the Walbro unit too. I know on my Tornado the ecu is directly under the riders saddle and the plug for loading "tunes" in a black/red plug under the pillion pad. VTX Brit or Hector should be able to inform you of what ecu a TnT sport runs, I believe VTX has one to in the UK. It seems the biggest problem with a Sagem one is its lack of computing speed.

·
3,081 Posts
other answer

Tornado's run open loop, I believe the TnT is the same, unless you see a oz probe welded into the exhaust system somewhere. I know a CAfe Racer that is same spec engine wise as a TnT & Sport really needs tuning after fitting the termignoni Ti can, MAdwog (steven) has one too. Its either power commander or tuneboy as far as I know, the main thing a pc doesnt allow for map switching via the power button as I'm aware and i thing the tuneboy will have this feature, and the power button does show a flatter torque curve and reduced hp when "off" I have several articla on the bike from Two Wheeels, Rapid bikes and AMCN I can scan and send to you?. My Email is [email protected]

·
3,081 Posts
Oh and another thing

Your map number should be a sticker on the ecu,what # is it? if its like a tornado, I would expect the factory to offer a race map for when the termi is fitted and better maps to filter out of the factory in the near future, maybe Rusty Russ can help, he's a importer/dealer?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I located the ECU on my TnT Sport and it's bolted to the front of the battery box (between the tank & seat).

It's a Walbro unit and has the following markings
ECUA1
A1-002577-0206

I checked out the Walbro site and noticed that they have software too. I wonder if it is compatible with the TnT ECU?
http://www.walbro-tdd.com/

Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to the Aussie importer there are no factory maps available to suit after market exhausts.

My main concern is with ironing out a couple of little foibles in the injection at low rpm. Between 3000 - 4000 rpm there are a couple hiccups or misses at small throttle openings that are most annoying around town. This is occurring before the exhaust valve opens and was also evident with the standard muffler. (Anyone else have these issues with their TnT?)

I've also noticed that occasionally the idle speed will stay at 1500 rpm instead of 1200 rpm even when the bike is hot. The only way to reset it to 1200 rpm is to turn the bike off and restart it. Then it's fine. Weird huh! Anyone else experience this?

Cheers!

Mike

·
3,081 Posts
yep

On my RS900 the idle sometimes can be erratic, it will stay about 1500 , stationary with the clutch in, and bike in 1st, if I put it in nuetral is sometimes drops, sometimes doesnt, if i rev here it'll always drop, I honestly think the only way to fix this mike is to make sure the throttle butterflies are syncronized and fit a power commander and go to a place with a dynojet dyno with tuning link and get it sussed out, you cant use tuneboy as yet unless you lose the map switch ablity, although I think tuneboy is working on this, apparently Power commander is developing a pc for the TnT which will allow you to still swap maps, also go to the web site called, www.af1.com , its a Aprilia forum, and look in the SVX forum, the new aprilia offroader/supermotad uses the same ecu (dont thin it has dual maps though) and see how they are pregressing with tuning the Walbro ecu, email pc too and see how they are progressing. Now that Benelli is on sale in the States things like aftermarket bits will come on line, also I believe K&N is making a new filter for the TnT and Tornado with a much larger filter area. I have a email from them, I will locate it and send it on to you.I'll email Aunaud to see if hes fitted a pc to his CR and maybe Madwog fitted one to his Sport?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts