Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's,

I was wondering if anyone has done before & after dyno tests with the exhaust header pipe restrictors removed?

On the TnT that I raced, we did all the mods immediately from the start.

·
Registered
403 Posts
restrictors

I was actually planning that, as I have a power and fuel A/F ratio. But I was thinking I would keep the money for having to buy parts and pay people to work on my bike, then telling me their fairy tales. ( hint, ahh shes running better than ever mate ), sorry Al couldn't help it

I took the headers off a few weeks ago to look at these restrictor rings yet couldnt find too much restricton in them, so I left it.

Your not the origional Johnny O that errol talks about are you ..???

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep I'm the original Johnny O, I was Service Manager for the original Australian Benelli importers.

I raced the original Tornado 900, finished 2nd in the 2004 Australian BEARS Formula 1 Production Championship, beaten by a 1000cc engine in an SPR MV Agusta (cheaters!)

Riding a stock Tornado 900RS in 2005 I finished 2nd in the Victorian Thunderbike Championship (singles, twins & triples), beaten by an ex Steve Martin World Superbike Ducati 998.

In 2006 I was all set to smoke the Victorian Thunderbike Championship on a TnT but crashed at the last round and finished second in the Championship to a KTM Superduke.

Had a lot of trouble getting the TnT sorted, got it right for the last round, the extra power caught me by surprise and threw me over the highside trying to race a full Superbike spec Ducati.

The restrictors in the TnT are at the end of the header pipes, pull off the collector, each of the reducing sleeves are spot welded in, the spot welds are in the bottom of the pipe, about 5mm up from the end of the pipe.

You might see a pic of the bikes I rode in the gallery here?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Errol :)

I'm never going to get over them completely but I'm as good as I am ever going to get, although I finally get the rod out of my tibia next month.

I finally get time to get back onto the internet, I am off work with a broken collarbone, crashed my GSXR showing off on the road, lol. TAC (Traffic Accident Commision) is paying my wage while I'm off work.

·
Registered
403 Posts
ring's

I put pics of the header pipes in my album, can you see if there is any rings inside, i dont think there is anything there

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"The restrictors in the TnT are at the end of the header pipes, pull off the collector, each of the reducing sleeves are spot welded in, the spot welds are in the bottom of the pipe, about 5mm up from the end of the pipe."

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Your not the origional Johnny O that errol talks about are you ..???
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Hi Johnny, I ran 124 hp with MIVV pipe - stock flaps,airfilter and reducers.
Plus stock map.Ignition stock 06
Fitted DNA filter,removed flaps, ground out reducer ring in pipes that go against cylinder head, remapped (still slightly lean though) ran again 134 hp.Still 06 ignition.
Today I used an 07 ignition table and did a few runs up and down the road with tuneboy and LC-1 Lamda sensor. Got the mapping close to 12.8A/F ratio.
Have not run on the dyno but it is alot faster. Power wheelies even easier now with a full tank of gas. My rev limiter is set at 10,200rpm as the power was still climbing at 9,800.
Picture below has a ring that is smaller ID than the actual pipe. Ground this out, so pipe had an even inside diameter.

I love my CR

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The restrictor's are in the bottom of the header pipe, they are around 100mm long.

My TnT was 150 hp, Tornado 900RS inlet cam just dropped in, stock headers with restrictors removed, straight thru can, flaps out of airbox, intake area of airbox doubled CAUTION - it runs like a bitch till you get it remapped, proving the restriction, exhaust flap wired open, less restrictive foam element made/fitted.

And I could still get a heap more power out of one.

·
Registered
403 Posts
makes sense

trying not to be an old record. The top of the headers were same diameter as the pipes, I am sure of that, to take the pencil grinder and open them up would have only made the taper a bit better ( see oztripple). that may have helped a bit, but as I couldn't see anything of great difference, i thought that the full HPE system would do it better.

From the picture above that is shown.
Now, even on base power and my wrist combination, was enough to highside me, and break some bad bones

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
In addition to my above mods I also ran Tornado 900 (not RS) intake trumpets.

For any of Tornado 900 boys here, dropping in an RS inlet cam will transform your bike. Use the stock time marks; it'll easy pick up the front wheel with the midrange power.

And if you have one of the really early model 903's with the sand cast cases or an LE, the RS inlet cam will blow your mind!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts