Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I'm new here, and considering Benelli as my next bike. I already made my introductory post in the general discussion area.

I've been reading a couple of reviews of the TnT (not many around, except for the two or three Cafe Racer ones) and what puzzles me is the alledged high fuel consumption. Like in one comparison test in the German Motorrad magazine, the mpg for TnT was claimed over 8 litres per 100km, as opposed to 6,5L/100km of the rivals, Ducati S4R and Kwak Z1000 in that test.

So I'd be interested in learning about the real life mpg you TnT owners get, with and without the so called economy map button in use.
Furthermore, does it actually do a lot, as long as fuel consumption is concerned?
It's pretty obvious that high power means thristy machines but still, for example, the S4R is not that much underpowered, when compared to the TnT...

Other than that, the TnT seems to be a nice ride indeed.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Quirky,
Hector is correct......90-100 miles to the tank before common sense takes you to the nearest petrol station. Dont know what you would get if you rode it steady as it is so difficult not to wind it up everytime you`re on it:doh: :doh:
Welcome aboard and whichever Benelli you decide on you will be amazed at the reaction you get wherever you go on it!! everyone wants to know about them!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello,

there are so many fantastic stories about the fuel consumption. My 2006 Sport consumes between 8 and 8,5l/100km. I am only riding cross country - no motorways - no racetracks.

The best thing is you fill up the tank when it is getting empty. It that case fuel consumption does not care.

4500km without defect. (only one small issue with a leaking waterpump 24h lost gross fun time)

Have fun!

Mark

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've made some comments today to the dealer about fuel consumption. I've been getting 100kms (= approx 70miles) till the last bar of the gauge flicks out which I think is extremely poor. Especially as I just read an article in the latest AMCN where they had the CR for a week and were getting 200kms to a tank.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
90 to 100 miles, 145 to 160 km, that sounds like a lot of juice burned.

200km to a tankful, and the CR tank is 16L? That would make 8L / 100km.
I wonder if the 'economy button' has any significant change to the consumption level? Oh well, suppose none of you are actually riding with the button on, because it's less fun.

The fuel consumption is not a key issue when selecting a bike, but an interesting detail, anyway. Although having a bike with decent power and decent fuel consumption level would be nice.

·
Registered
332 Posts
fuel consumption

Hi

I've done 6,300 miles on my 04 tnt. It started off doing 32-35 to the gallon, but then went down to low 20's. All the time my jacket smelled of petrol. I got the co2 set at a dealer and it went back up to low 30's, and the smell is much less. I also have a Tuono, which does 32 average, and a Bimota with a GSXR 1100 engine, and that does 37. So, if you're getting over 30 I think that's ok. I'm told that setting the Co2 was part of the PDI, but not all dealers bothered....

·
Registered
332 Posts
tuono vs tnt

Hi

Where do I begin.. My Tuono is an 04 model, which is the old shape. You can get one from £3500 up. The new shape, or rather new paint job, looks better. The Tuono is a great town bike, or for anything up to 100mph. It's far more reliable than the TNT, or any Italian bike, having a Rotax engine (I did 34,000 miles on my Falco before selling it on), and quality components. I'm going touring on it as more reliable and better for luggage than the TNT. It's as fast, though not everyone likes the twin's heavy engine breaking or the low-revs snatch (got to keep it above 3,500 really). Parts are the same more or less from 98 RSV's to 06 Tuonos, and plenty on Ebay, though the crash-damage stuff is hard to find. The suspension as standard is Showa, or Ohlins for the top of the range model (rare on the Tuono, but you can find it from RSV's), but even the standard stuff is far better than the TNT, and it copes better with rough roads. Brakes are the same 320mm Brembo setup, except the rear is useless, far worse than the TNT, and my Bimota, which is the same diameter Brembo setup.

I like the Tuono, but I love the TNT. The TNT is lower, feels more chuckable, just as good in town (except running hot), and that low-end torque is great. I'd hate to depend on the TNT every day, but I'd hate to be without it!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd back Robin's comments. I came from an Aprilia Falco to the TNT. The Falco was definitely better on fuel and mutch easier to pack stuff onto for a trip. I did about 80,000 on mine in all weather. I'd probably prefer it on trips over the TNT because it's simply less work to ride. It's very good in the corners too, but the TNT is more fun.

Benelli just need to spend some time and money dealing with the reliability issues of the TNT. The Italians are awesome bike designers and the TNT is fantastic to ride, but fuel enconomy and rough running engines with electrical issues should be well and truely a thing of the past, not the present.

If it came down to a choice between a Falco (no longer in production) and a TNT it would be a tough one. They are both great bikes in different ways. I haven't ridden a Tuono so I can't comment on them.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
You guys need to remember the TNT fuel tank only holds 16 and a bit litres, I get nearly 120 miles before I have to push it to the nearest fuel station :doh: that’s about 7.5 miles to the litre. a mate has a z1000 which he says has a tank capacity of 17.5 litres he gets about 135 miles to a tank before he is in push mode, that works out to 7.7 miles to a litre (about 2% difference) and he’s not throttle happy unlike most TNT owners. :D
This weekend I rode a mates new aprilia factory I was on it sunday from 8-30 until about 2-30 so had a good go, loved it Ohlin shocks all round, stonking power, superb handling and nicely finished (didn’t like the loud paint scheme), when he first got it in may he went to brands hatch and had the suspension set up by experts to suit him, he has just got back from a 2500mile trip through France, Belgium and across to the dolomites where they got caught in thunder and hailstones on three occasions he had starting problems and every time the bike got wet the dials went berserk, with lights flashing and the rev counter flickering on and off, he also had a problem selecting 1st and neutral which seems to have cleared itself. filling up with fuel was a regular occurrence due to tank capacity. So as much as it is cheaper to buy than the TNT and goes like a rocket I still prefer my sport. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd back Robin's comments. I came from an Aprilia Falco to the TNT. The Falco was definitely better on fuel and mutch easier to pack stuff onto for a trip. I did about 80,000 on mine in all weather. I'd probably prefer it on trips over the TNT because it's simply less work to ride. It's very good in the corners too, but the TNT is more fun.

If it came down to a choice between a Falco (no longer in production) and a TNT it would be a tough one. They are both great bikes in different ways. I haven't ridden a Tuono so I can't comment on them.
Well, it so happens that my current ride is in fact the Noale bird, and I find myself pondering around the very same issues... :)
Suppose the ideal solution would be to have them both, but alas, my budged may not permit that. Furthermore, there's nothing really wrong with the bird per se, but a resless soul wants occassional change...
As for the Falco in the stock mode, the rear suspension could be a bit better, and too bad the brake lines aren't as good as in Bennellis and Ducatis, but other than that, and in the derestricted mode, it's a nice ride.

The old Tuono is higher, and the handlebar comes pretty close into your lap, IMO, making it even a bit too upright, at least to my liking. Other than that, it's pretty nice. The new Tuono is much more cramped and upright, and you're sitting high, with the handlebar relatively low. So you get the feeling of sitting upright with your knees in a steep angle. Doesn't feel that bad after you get moving, but I haven't been able to take it for a proper spin and, I still prefer the riding position of both the Falco and the TnT (especially Cafe Racer), which I found to be quite comfy, possibly comfier than the Aprilia. On the other hand, for some strange reason the front suspension seem not to have the usual adjustments in top. Same for the TreK, unfortunately.

·
Registered
263 Posts
To be quite honest, fuel consumption has never been on my list of priorities for a bike. If I did the miles maybe but jeez

Fuel consumption is so personal anyway. If you nail it everywhere it'll be low mpg, if you travel at constant speeds and moderate revs it'll be high mpg

What you need tpo concern yourself with is the motors ability to start and run for the duration of your trip!!!!!

Think about

Swarf in the engine
Cutting out when hot
Sheared alternator shaft
Rough running when hot
Water in cylinder number two
poor battery performance
substandard wiring
substandard alternator
weak clutch baskets

I loved mine in spite of some of the above, but if you are worried about a few quidsworth of petrol, you really need to consider the bigger picture

Exotic means no two bikea are the same.

After all that mine did 110 miles before the last two bars flashed. I had it serviced, then it did 90 - go figure!!

·
442 Posts
i get about 160 to 220km of fuel to a tank.its all got to do with were im riding and what im doing with my right hand.
i did'nt buy the bike for fuel consumption i bourght it for some serioues fun,and thats what im getting:D :D :D :D
thats what i've got on my face every time:D :D :D :D love it love it......

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The fuel consumption is not the key issue when considering a TnT or something similar, but it's just one interesting issue. Living inside the EU, the price for fuel is getting higher all the time.

Other than that, I got to ride a standard TnT two days ago and got some mixed feelings. It's a nice bike, and a quirky one, too, and I remember thinking I want one, but then, I don't know. FWIW, it is an interesting bike. I think the CR might still be a better solution for me.
To keep more on topic, I found the fuel indicator to be a bit weird. First it shows you're running low, you get the yellow warning light and all, but adding just some 5 litres will make the bars rise up to almost full. Looks like it's not too accurate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
fuel consumption

theres lots of mods to tnt including power commander which also release power .Fat n Fast is running at 125 bhp at back wheel interested to ask him about fuel consumption,as he has just been to the man

·
Registered
736 Posts
theres lots of mods to tnt including power commander which also release power .Fat n Fast is running at 125 bhp at back wheel interested to ask him about fuel consumption,as he has just been to the man
Hi Phantom,
am I right in thinking that you did the work to the TNT fat n Fast has?
What did you do to it to get 125bhp at the rear wheel?????

·
Registered
209 Posts
The fuel indicators similar to many bikes. Due to the shape of the average motorcycle tank these days the fule indicators show full even when a considerable amount has already been used. Mine typically indicates full until around 50 - 60k's, then in rapidly declines until empty at around 110. I'm looking pretty hard at the distance I'm getting because I think it might be an indicator of a problem with the maps or an issues in the engine. Madwog's getting 160 - 200 on a sports. I'm struggling to get 110 on a cafe racer. Whilst there can be a variance due to riding style etc, I find it hard to believe it can be that much. Plus I rode an '04 for a few days and got 33% more distance on it. I've also had the latest 06 map installed in the bike but it doesn't seem to be making any difference.

·
Registered
332 Posts
fuel consumption

If you're getting bad consumption, try checking the co2, see my previous post. Before I could smell petrol all the time, now hardly at all - and I get 50% more to the gallon. Needs to be done with the Axone, I think, or I suppose if you've got a powercommander you could do it that way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts