Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, went out with the boys this morning and pulled up at a junction engine made a rattle, bang rattle noise so I hit the kill switch.
Checked the oil etc and that was all OK and tried to restart it but the starter just spins:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
Got picked up by a mate with a van and delivered home.
Sounds like the gears on the starter have gone/shredded:doh: :doh:
I will speak with Russ 2moro and see what he thinks and in the meantime will check the warranty info as it is very nearly (if not already) 3 years old!)::confused:
Russ, if you read this thread can you send me a PM.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi BenelliDave,

I don't want to worrie you but my Tre had exact the same symtomphs.
first a strange sound from the engine..then i killed the engine, checked oil etc. than try to start and then nothing only an starterengine turning about 6000RPM or so.

All this trouble was caused by an "eaten" clutchbasket. read the story here
http://members.chello.nl/e.salomons2/index2.htm

I hope for you it's something different

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooohhhh

As I took off the oil filler cap to have a look I noticed the first tell tale sign of disaster......................Clutch basket has a chunk missing,

Off with the clutch cover to reveal a broken shaft and gears floating around inside:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Ouch...............me thinks that`s going to be expensive:doh: :doh:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks like the shaft from the alternator has failed.........lucky I was pulling up to a junction at the time as I was Hooning along just before!!

And what`s that hole drilled halfway through the shaft for?

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
Dave, please tell me you are still under warranty? (although I thought that the standard cover was only for 2 years, but I hope I'm wrong mate) Makes me 'cringe' every time I look at those pics :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
463 Posts
Bloody Hell Dave, how many miles has the bike done? hope im not riding a time bomb., keep us posted with the progress.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guess what........................no warranty left!!!!June 2004 and only 2 years I believe.:doh: :doh: :doh:
I will speak to Russ at Bennetts tomorrow and see what can be done!
from the looks of the shaft it has failed due to something out of my control and seeing as they are pushing the new 1130 TRE (with the same bottom end!!) I`m sure they will want to find out what caused it on a bike that has only done 3500miles!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 2 shafts that have failed are the alternator drive above the clutch and the oil pump shaft at the bottom.
I did hit the kill switch as soon as I heard the noise but god only knows what else has happened inside.
Thank goodness I didn`t restart it!

Anyone want a ferry ticket for the IoM?:bawl: :bawl: `cos I think I will be spending a lot to get this put right:doh: :doh:

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Christ Dave, sorry to see that mess........ Ive heard of 1 other TNT where the starter shaft sheared which they think was down to the engine backfiring?? get the sump off and see how much crap is in there with a bit of luck the damage could be localised to the oil pump and alternator.
Have you spoken to reddog?
Terry

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Just like Saloe I thought the clutch basket had gone tits up on you Dave when I first read what happened:( This only goes to strengthen the reasons why I'll never buy another Benelli again:bawl: Hope verything works out for you buddy;)

Al:)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spoke to Rusty @ bennetts this morning.
He`s a star:bow: :bow: :bow:
I will post any news when I hear back from him.

Al, I love my TNT and cant imagine riding a speed triple or anything jap again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hope all goes smoothly, thanks to your replies earlier this year i bought a TNT, and i love it. Sunday at snetterton, people had to stop and look with comments like "never seen one before, looks even better in the flesh":bow:
Good luck Dave with the repairs, hope it goes smoothly :jig:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hi Johnsy,
Glad you bought a TNT> I would recomend it to anyone who was thinking about buying one as it is a fantastic bike:clap:
I only hope that Benelli want to look after one it`s owners who has stood by the brand despite the niggles and larger issues that I am now experiancing:doh: and the years of having a bike without any UK support.
Now we have dealers like Russ @ Bennetts, Mitch @ Red Dog, Brian @ KJM things are on the right track and the problems are being solved.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Al, in fairness to Benelli (although the luck you’ve had it would be hard for you to be fair) I believe both the failed components are manufactured by other companies (Denso being the alternator)…………not that it makes it any easier for poor old Dave to swallow.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Al, in fairness to Benelli (although the luck you’ve had it would be hard for you to be fair) I believe both the failed components are manufactured by other companies (Denso being the alternator)…………not that it makes it any easier for poor old Dave to swallow.
I know exactly where you're coming from me ol' mucker;) I'd just hate to see some poor sod go through what I've (and others) have went through in the past:eek:

By the way ..... are you attending the ritual that is the MotoGP this year:confused: Get your arse down there for some hot burger and beer action in the Benelli camp that's being set up. Just follow the smell of JD and fosters and you'll be fine:rolling:

Al:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sad to hear your troubles Dave-everytime i read things like this i feel 1/2 guilty for selling my RS & 1/2 relieved i don't have it any longer.
I was seriously considering an 1130 Cafe Racer for the summer but now i reckon i'll stay with the rice burner until i can feel confident that the new engine might hold together a bit better.
Hope you get a result
NJ

1 - 20 of 40 Posts